Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #41
Refplace

Default Re: [Supers] Stat Wonder Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'm pretty darn certain that if King Jr. was considered an enemy of the American way of life in the 60s according to the FBI, then a champion of women's rights in WWII would be too.
A popular war hero and symbol would be a target they would be much more cautious about. Than you factor in her possible known relationship and role as dignitary of another country and her combat prowess.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #42
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I understand Unaging if this new prequel movie is set in WW1 and she's still looking the same in Dawn of Justice (100 years later?) but is it possible she might have a few levels of Extended Lifespan (B53) instead?

Do we know that Wonder Woman matured at the same rate that normal humans do?

Extended Lifespan 2 [4] means maturity at 72 years old with no aging rolls until you are 200. Wonder Woman having around a century of time to train up her attributes/skills by the time she is physically mature in WW1 would help explain her amazing performance. What if she was born in 1840 or something and spend over half a century on Amazon Island before visiting America?
Early maturation is a 0-point feature.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #43
corwyn

Quote:
I always wanted to know if any comic issues ever explained the mechanics of this. Like maybe there could be alternate explanations, like her bracelets somehow telekinetically alter the paths of bullets to bend toward them (kinda like Dwight Hendrickson in Haven, played by WWE Superstar Edge)

or maybe they provide subliminal suggestions to attackers to aim where Diana is planning on her bracelets to be?
Um, no, she deflects bullets because she is awesomely skilled and the bracelets stand up to the punishment because, magic.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #44
Fred Brackin

Quote:
I understand Unaging if this new prequel movie is set in WW1 and she's still looking the same in Dawn of Justice (100 years later?) but is it possible she might have a few levels of Extended Lifespan (B53) instead?
No Amazon ages while on Themiscyra. That's why Hippolyta is still Queen and they still have a population. Whether Amazons in general or Diana in particular age while off the island has been subject to multiple-version-itis. Most of the time regular Amazons do age.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:39 PM   #45
Phantasm

The Divine power modifier means that it - as well as all of her other similar powers - are turned off if she ever violates her Vow of Chastity (-10%), though they are not turned off automatically if she is in life-threatening danger (+5%). She can regain those powers by performing a significant act of penance (-5%), which would probably be a "renewal of virginity" religious ritual on Paradise Island under the priestesses (this is drawn from similar practices mentioned in various Greek myths).

The pre-Crisis Earth-2 Wonder Woman (aka the Golden Age version) only started aging once she married Steve Trevor and had a daughter of her own, though she aged slower (this version joined the Gods of Olympus after the Crisis on Infinite Earths, and hence stopped aging, as well as actually regaining some of her youth). More modern versions have varied on whether she ages when away from the island; most of the time she hasn't been away long enough for it to matter.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:46 AM   #46
Refplace

Quote:
I guess that is what he Divine -10% limitation means, it turns off when she leaves the island?

This being the case in the comics, does that mean it is the case in the new film too? They sometimes mess with the canon.
There have been a lot of retcons and changes over the years.
The movie she is long lived but the trailor says she will lose her immortality if she leaves the island.
WHo kows if that is accurate or complete though.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #47
binn05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
GAH! Far too much for me to handle! I'm not even halfway done with my Marvel project! :)
As people say around here, what do you do from midnight to 6 a.m.? :P
/joke off

Quote:
That said, I believe aesir23 has a mostly-stalled DC project on these forums; not sure if he's done WW yet. I know he's done the Bat-family....
Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
binn05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #48
whswhs

Quote:
The Divine power modifier means that it - as well as all of her other similar powers - are turned off if she ever violates her Vow of Chastity (-10%), though they are not turned off automatically if she is in life-threatening danger (+5%). She can regain those powers by performing a significant act of penance (-5%), which would probably be a "renewal of virginity" religious ritual on Paradise Island under the priestesses (this is drawn from similar practices mentioned in various Greek myths).
Do you have a particular source for "vow of chastity"? I don't recall ever seeing it stated that way.

What does "chastity" mean in this context? By the formal definition, if Diana married Steve Trevor and had a monogamous relationship with him, she would be chaste. I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

Back in the 1950s and early 1960s, my recollection is that the Amazons as a group were faced with losing certain gifts of the gods if a man ever set foot on Paradise Island (it wasn't called "Themiscyra" then). But I also recall scenes of the Amazons going through really intensive training. Supposedly "bullets and bracelets" was something they all learned, for example. How that reconciles with Diana using her enchanted bracelets to deflect bullets I don't think was ever made clear. But it seemed as if Diana was not transcendentally blessed beyond the other Amazons; the blessings of the gods seemed to be "the best of the Amazons" in spirit.

But of course DC has not been all that consistent about her. It's like the way Superman's powers were originally the product of advanced evolution that gave all Kryptonians superpowers *on Krypton*; later they came from Krypton having higher gravity that made them all strong and fast; later the impenetrable skin came from Earth's yellow sun; later still all his powers came from the yellow sun.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #49
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Do you have a particular source for "vow of chastity"? I don't recall ever seeing it stated that way.

What does "chastity" mean in this context? By the formal definition, if Diana married Steve Trevor and had a monogamous relationship with him, she would be chaste. I'm not sure if that's what you mean.
There's a stricter, less formal definition which basically means "no sex." But if she was given life by Aphrodite, that's not the vow I would imagine for her... Aphrodite had a pretty voracious sexual appetite.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #50
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
There's a stricter, less formal definition which basically means "no sex." But if she was given life by Aphrodite, that's not the vow I would imagine for her... Aphrodite had a pretty voracious sexual appetite.
I'm kinda-sorta leaving it up to "the writers" to decide, but if I was playing her I'd go with "no sex with men"; the Amazons revered Sappho, after all....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
superhero, supers, wonder woman