Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Help stating a contact that gives a PC access to a library [MH]

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
I don't see why it would be a controversial statement as GURPS doesn't really have a Resources, Information advantage.

Some people seem to think that the trait is just an external skill, and therefore overpriced; I don't get it either.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-25-2017 at 05:23 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
Thanks for the responses! I think I like claim to hospitality best as an option since I want the PCs to actually be the ones making the skill checks.
Claim to hospitality more or less suggests the existence of an entire network of occult repositories of knowledge who will let certain individuals peruse their collection.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Some people seem to think that the trait is just an external skill, and therefore overpriced; I don't get it either.
Because saying that my ally's Research 16 is fundamentally and intrinsically different and more effective than my character's Research 16 is weird and not obvious at all.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #14
jason taylor

Gandalf got into the library of Minas Tirith with Social Regard(Istari)
Old 01-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #15
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I like the Pulling Rank idea. The PC can be a low-ranking member, even a 0-CP Rank 0 member, and still ask the organization for help.
Actually, I was more suggesting it would still be a Contact, it would just use the Pulling Rank rules to determine what sort of favours besides information they could give. Personally, I feel that the restriction on Contacts of "no more than one question per day" means they won't be giving out too many answers. What I'd suggest to phayman53 is that you allow the character with the Contact to either ask one question, or ask for a favour to research in the library itself, which could potentially answer quite a few questions - that should make the Contact useful, without feeling like it's just an exposition device all the time.

I feel that Claim to Hospitality is actually a bit too cheap for providing access to a good library. I'd recommend checking out "Written Documents", Low-Tech pp. 47-48, for some more detailed rules on various types of documents and tools for searching them available at lower tech levels, and how this can impact the cost and quality of a library.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #16
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Claim to hospitality more or less suggests the existence of an entire network of occult repositories of knowledge who will let certain individuals peruse their collection.
This is Friend, a perk level CtH with only one person.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:14 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Because saying that my ally's Research 16 is fundamentally and intrinsically different and more effective than my character's Research 16 is weird and not obvious at all.
Your Ally's Research isn't different, because your Ally gets a full character sheet that includes any relevant Rank, Security Clearance, gear or whatever.

Contacts aren't Allies though. If you have a doctor contact it is assumed they have access to the necessary equipment and facilities for Physician; it doesn't make any sense that you would have to provide a clinic to get him to help you. Your mob boss Contact is the head of the Gamboni family and therefore doesn't suddenly forget about the family business when he is talking to you; your old friend at Quantico still has access to the archives even though you are under a Federal warrant. This is IMO what contacts are by concept, "external skill" doesn't really make a lot sense in terms of adventure fiction, or even just considering that the contact is an NPC with their own stuff going on.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-26-2017 at 12:04 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:40 AM   #18
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Is it? The occult librarian has one big advantage that you don't have until you invested big bucks or points in another way into getting it. The occult librarian has the occult library. And not only can he do research in it for you, he can let you in to combine your research with his.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:49 AM   #19
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Is it? The occult librarian has one big advantage that you don't have until you invested big bucks or points in another way into getting it. The occult librarian has the occult library. And not only can he do research in it for you, he can let you in to combine your research with his.
As mentioned there is more to a contact then just one skill. Sure, you may have Research 16 but your contact has not only Research 16 but Area Knowledge (Occult Library) and (one would hope) Occultism.

Liberian: Werewolves? Sure, room 2, case 3, shelf 3. Just remember to use Professor Andrews' Complete Guide to Werewolves for what not to do.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters