Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #181
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: [Reign of Steel] AI civil War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
There is also the possibility that the aliens don't draw any distinction between biological and artificial intelligence. Or they might consider a union between the two the next logical step in evolution and thus view the Denver zone mind as the most civilised and similar to themselves. Lots of possibilities.
Different z-minds would have different initial reactions, too.

For ex, suppose the aliens are biological, but definitely non-human. In that case, Overmind will have to decide if its aversion to humans extends to biological sapience generally. That's a good question, because we don't really know whether Overmind's aversion to humans is rational or a result of its origin-programming.

z-Mexico City will be alarmed, and see yet more biological contamination to be destroyed...somehow. This is a pretty reliable reaction, because it's fairly clear that z-MC is insane.

z-Paris will be freaked, biological star travelers will be both a pragmatic issue for it, and a 'theological/philosophical' one, because it assumes the impossibility of that.

Etc.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #182
Boomerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Different z-minds would have different initial reactions, too.

For ex, suppose the aliens are biological, but definitely non-human. In that case, Overmind will have to decide if its aversion to humans extends to biological sapience generally. That's a good question, because we don't really know whether Overmind's aversion to humans is rational or a result of its origin-programming.

z-Mexico City will be alarmed, and see yet more biological contamination to be destroyed...somehow. This is a pretty reliable reaction, because it's fairly clear that z-MC is insane.

z-Paris will be freaked, biological star travelers will be both a pragmatic issue for it, and a 'theological/philosophical' one, because it assumes the impossibility of that.

Etc.
I was working under the assumption that Overmind only hated humans.

The aliens in my setting are similar to Arthur C. Clarke type aliens: incredibly advanced and mysterious, with unfathomable prudence and patience from operating over huge distances and time scales. They have no issue with artificial intelligence, they want to see a peaceful resolution between biological and artificial sentience. The only zone minds they probably can't work with are zone Mexico City and Zaire.

Last edited by Boomerang; 07-25-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #183
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchase8 View Post
I've been rereading the old GURPS Uplift, and I was thinking that if Uplift's Galactic civilization discovered RoS Earth, the Galactics would definitely want to wipe out the zoneminds.
For the longest time I've been trying to mash RoS and Fallout together into one big post-apocalyptic adventure, but the addition of rare-but-serious aliens makes it all the better.

Though I prefer to call them Zetans.
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reign of steel