Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #41
Nostri

Default Re: [Horror/Monster Hunters] American Small Town Mystery

If you really like the all important football team theme you could put it in pretty much any part of the US as far as I'm aware. I know at least all across the North East funding for a lot of things that aren't sports get cut to support the teams. I know at my school, for example, we were having a good couple of years in soccer and football so our tech/shop classes got cut way down, computer classes were abandoned, and funding for band, chorus, and art were all decimated so a new track and football/soccer field could be built. Additionally the guys at least on the sports teams couldn't get below a certain GPA which generally meant that they didn't, not because they actually got good grades all the time but mostly because teachers would just not grade them as harshly as those of us that did things besides sports.

Last edited by Nostri; 03-15-2016 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Spelling, Grammer
Nostri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #42
Icelander

I've narrowed it down to either Aroostook County in northwest Maine or a very remote part of the Upper Peninsula, Michigan, in either case 3+ hours from the nearest FBI resident agency and 7+ hours from the nearest field office.

Which should I choose?
Old 03-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #43
SionEwig

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan no question. You might look closer at the Keweenaw Peninsula for serious remote of an already remote area.
SionEwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #44
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SionEwig View Post
The Upper Peninsula of Michigan no question. You might look closer at the Keweenaw Peninsula for serious remote of an already remote area.
Can you name a small town near a wilderness area where the hunting is good, but it's too remote for anyone but locals and the most serious enthusiasts?

Needs to be able to be cut-off from neighbours in a serious snowstorm. Would be nice if it has a local Deputy Sheriff and a few part-time deputies in a small branch office of the County Sheriff and are at least two hours drive from anything resembling an actual town with State police or the Sheriff's Office.

Saw mill a plus.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #45
Icelander

My players have opted for Maine, which means the remotest northwest part of the state. Near Allagash.

Any locals have thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?
Old 03-16-2016, 06:55 AM   #46
Icelander

Do County Sheriff's in Maine have only one permanent structure in each county (in the county seat or biggest town) or are there satellite offices in smaller towns in the county?

Apart from the Sheriff and Chief Deputy, what other ranks exist with County Sheriff Offices in Maine?

What would be the equivalent of a police Lieutenant, maybe, someone with a responsibility for a small town and a number of unincorporated townships some 2-3 hours away from the town where the Sheriff himself is based?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #47
Icelander

Who are the important people in a very large rural area (the northwest part of Aroostook County) where a total of some 3,000 people live in tiny unincorporated townships, with the biggest 'town' having around 500 people?

There's the local law enforcement, probably one full-time and several part-time deputies. There's maybe a mill owner*, the local 'hotel magnate' who runs the rental cabins, some hunting and rafting guides, several diner owners and who else?

Maybe one of the County Commissioners lives in this out of the way part of the county and commutes to meetings in Houlton when necessary.

Who else is part of the local power structure?

*I know that there aren't any saw mills there now, but there'll damn well be one there in 1988 in my game.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #48
Kymage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Who are the important people in a very large rural area (the northwest part of Aroostook County) where a total of some 3,000 people live in tiny unincorporated townships, with the biggest 'town' having around 500 people?

There's the local law enforcement, probably one full-time and several part-time deputies. There's maybe a mill owner*, the local 'hotel magnate' who runs the rental cabins, some hunting and rafting guides, several diner owners and who else?

Maybe one of the County Commissioners lives in this out of the way part of the county and commutes to meetings in Houlton when necessary.

Who else is part of the local power structure?

*I know that there aren't any saw mills there now, but there'll damn well be one there in 1988 in my game.
Local Doctor and maybe a local attorney- someone has to do the deeds and wills. Also someone has to represent the local power structure in various pleadings. If there is a local bank, whoever runs the bank (President or branch manager)
Kymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #49
SionEwig

For power structure, add in the superintendent of the local school district and probably the folks on the local school board. Members of the school board may also hold other positions of influence in the local power structure.

Edit - add in clergy to the local power structure, again with possible overlaps.

Last edited by SionEwig; 03-16-2016 at 03:09 PM.
SionEwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #50
Icelander

Quote:
For power structure, add in the superintendent of the local school district
He's here. Also teaches and has another, non-school job as a child psychologist*. I'm sure the real O'Connel has been slandered fouly by the eager way the fictional one is embracing the thrill of the FBI investigating the childhoof of one of his old students, who has been revealed as a famous serial killer, no less!

*True in the real Allagash in 1996, so I decided that the same man was there, in his 40s instead of his 60s.

Quote:
and probably the folks on the local school board. Members of the school board may also hold other positions of influence in the local power structure.
I've introduced one member, who is a local businessman. How many are there on local school boards?

At the time, the Maine School District 10 only serves Allagash and there are only some 60 students between age 6-14 in total. It can only exist because of hefty state rural subsidies to the school district.

Quote:
Edit - add in clergy to the local power structure, again with possible overlaps.
There's a Catholic church in St. Francis, 10 miles from what technically counts as Main Street in Allagash (which is mostly wilderness that someone called a township). Should there be another in Allagash, serving some 450 souls that live within 130 square miles?

Are there other denominations there?

Tags
federal agencies, high-tech, horror, monster hunters