Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
Ultraviolet

Default [TG] Training bonus from Striking Skills?

Sorry to spam you all with TG questions, but I did try to search for an answer and could find none.

The Training Bonus table lists Slow progression for Boxing, Karate and Average for Brawling. But when is that relevant?

TG p4 says: "Striking skills provide a training bonus when used to defend in a grappling Contest <snip>"

So is that the Trained ST or -HT rolled to avoid damage from a Joint Lock? Do Striking skills help here?

It is clear enough to me how Striking skills help if grappling with it, due to the Clinch Perk, or if defaulting Eye Gouge or Testicle Grab from Brawling.

But those Contests were what threw me off.

BTW tomorrow I'm implementing TG in my Cliffhangers campaign. I wrote the group, and although some of them don't read the mails there was actually one player looking forward to it. Pity his character will suck at it.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
Gollum

Default Re: [TG] Training bonus from Striking Skills?

I may misunderstand your question, and I don't have TG, but here is how I understand the reference you quoted (TG p4 says: "Striking skills provide a training bonus when used to defend in a grappling Contest <snip>"):
Striking skill don't give a bonus for grappling but to defend against grappling.
A karateka, for instance, is not better for grappling than anyone else*, but his combat practice still gives him some hints about how dodging or parrying any kind of attacks (including grappling ones). He also better knows how to stand firm and, so, to resist to fall downs, arm locks, and so on.

____

* Except those who learn complete karate, like traditional Okinawan gojuryu, for instance, which also teaches goshin jitsu (grappling techniques). But the best way to handle it in GURPS that to give them two different skills: karate and judo.

Last edited by Gollum; 01-16-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [TG] Training bonus from Striking Skills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
here is how I understand the reference you quoted (TG p4 says: "Striking skills provide a training bonus when used to defend in a grappling Contest <snip>"):
Striking skill don't give a bonus for grappling but to defend against grappling.
A karateka, for instance, is not better for grappling than anyone else*, but his combat practice still gives him some hints about how dodging or parrying any kind of attacks (including grappling ones). He also better knows how to stand firm and, so, to resist to fall downs, arm locks, and so on.

Pretty much this. If you've got (say) Karate at DX+4 you use the slow progression, which means if you have to roll ST or HT as the defender in a contest you get +1 to the roll by virtue of training. If you are forced to roll against "best grappling skill," that bonus doesn't apply as written.

If you're attacking to make a grapple or attacking to break free . . . your training bonus doesn't apply.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote