Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
johnnyschad

Default Bouncing affliction

Greetings.

I have a Supers game that has character who can bounce a lot. I'm envisioning an offensive affliction that can render an inanimate object super-bouncy for a few seconds with the idea that the character throws the object which bounces around the room, becomes a tripping hazard and potential source of damage.

How could I imbue an inanimate object like this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Bouncing affliction

GURPS Supers has a limitation for Super Jump, called "Bouncing Only". You could use Super Jump with that limitation as the Afflicted advantage, paralleling things like using Growth or Shrinking in an Affliction build to make people grow or shrink.

But if this is just a thing to do to inanimate objects, and just to create a region of distraction and possible damage, then I'm going to suggest against that - it's really too complex, with either the player or the GM having to work out how many times, and to where, an object bounces to. That sounds like a huge headache, and something that would slow combat down to a crawl. Instead, what I'd suggest is building this as an Innate Attack. You'd need Area of Effect to cover the area it's bouncing in, Environmental or Accessibility to say it needs one or more small objects, Persistent so that it stays in the area for a while, and Bombardment, which means the projectile(s) need to make attack rolls against targets in the area, rather than hitting automatically, which should take care of the question of whether or not the bouncing object hits someone every turn.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
Anaraxes

I'm with Kelly. The fact that you're throwing a bouncy object is the special effect for your IA (damage).

Statting the "tripping hazard" might be done a few ways, but given that it's already an IA, I might just go with increased Knockback. If someone falls due to the attack's Knockback, then they tripped.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
johnnyschad

Ah, good ideas, folks.

I like keeping it simple.

Thank you for helping me see forest instead of trees.

Tags
affliction, bounce, supers