Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
Polydamas

Default Re: [Banestorm] Minotaur 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Assuming your minotaurs are even an evolved creature, rather than the product of cranky gods cursing mortals, demonic in-breeding, mad wizard experiments, or other fantastic origins... Once they evolve into tool using bipeds, horns lose their primary function as an offensive/defensive weapon - but they won't lose their sexual attraction. If anything, they're now freed to be nothing but an advertisement to females about how studly you are.
Yes, its important to remember that while creatures in our world are the product of evolution over deep time, nothing says that creatures in a fantasy world have to come from the same place. Assuming that a fantasy world works like science says our world works is a classic blunder; making excuses to allow for fantasy tropes, then hemming in the implications of those excuses, is a lot of work which can be avoided by a simple "nobody knows why" or "of course eyes emit vision rays! The idea that they absorb light was refuted by the great Abacadarius in the Year of the Red Fox."

I think that Banestorm is vague about where the different species come from on their home worlds, and what those worlds have been like since their creation/formation.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 06-01-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #12
Phantasm

Here's my Minotaur for my Ranoc setting. Feel free to adapt it to Yrth or any other setting:

Minotaur
70 points
Average Height: 8'.
Average Weight: 1,000 lbs.
Age of Maturity: 9 years.
Average Lifespan: 45 years.
Attribute Adjustments: ST +10 (Size, -10%) [90]; IQ -2 [-40].
Secondary Characteristic Adjustments: SM +1; Basic Move +1 [5].
Advantages: Absolute Direction [5]; Claws (Hooves) [3]; DR 2 (Skull only, -70%) [3]; Discriminatory Hearing [15]; Discriminatory Smell [15]; Hard to Kill 3 [6]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Longevity [2]; Regeneration (Regular: 1 HP/hr) [25]; Striker (Impaling) (Horns) [8].
Perks: Fur [1].
Disadvantages: Appearance (Ugly) [-8]; Bad Sight (Nearsighted) [-25]; Restricted Diet (Herbivore) [-10]; Semi-Upright [-5]; Short Lifespan -1 [-10]; Social Stigma (Monster) [-15].

Minotaurs are massive creatures resembling a cross between humanoids and bulls. They stand eight feet tall, and have powerful muscles. While they have human-like hands – five fingers including an opposable thumb – their feet end in digitgrade hooves. All bulls and most cows have horns on their heads which point forwards; warriors often sharpen or decorate these horns for effect. The horns also provide some armor to the skull. While they generally have poor eyesight, being naturally nearsighted, their senses of hearing and smell are superhumanly acute.

Psychology
Minotaurs prefer wide open fields; many are found in Rochlad and Gor Ansat, although they are known to range as far north as Evalon. They have a largely undeserved reputation for brutality and savagery. In truth, most minotaurs are the quintessential "gentle giants". That is, until they are provoked to violence, at which point they become fierce warriors.

Many minotaurs are possessed by wanderlust early in their adult lives, and leave home for "greener pastures". During this time period, which can last from four to ten years, minotaurs travel the world, learning all they can. After this time, most minotaurs settle into a town or village, often on the outskirts of a frontier settlement, content to live life as peacefully as possible. Most minotaurs will not take mates until their wanderlust period is over. Some scholars believe that the wanderlust is part of the divine plan for minotaurs, compelling them to travel until they meet desirable mates.

Despite legends to the contrary, minotaurs are decidedly vegetarians.

Combat
A minotaur's first impulse in combat is to charge. To initiate combat, a minotaur drops to all fours and charges at full speed towards his opponent, intending to gouge said opponent with his horns. Following this, should the opponent still be able to fight, the minotaur will draw his weapon.

Minotaurs are fierce opponents. In addition to being able to withstand about twice as much punishment as an average human, they are very difficult to actually kill, and can keep fighting long after others would have fallen from their wounds.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-01-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:27 PM   #13
Mike_H

I played a BaneStorm minotaur in a game a bit over a year ago. I actually ignored the horns altogether as weapons. I had them more like that of the American Bison than any other bovine. I saw it like this, if you can use sharper, tougher weapons, your horns won't matter much.

In my opinion, if you're going to have it as a playable race, you need to have them as intelligent as the other PC races. I ended up spending more points to bring up the IQ to 10. But that's just me.
Mike_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #14
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I think that Banestorm is vague about where the different species come from on their home worlds, and what those worlds have been like since their creation/formation.
Banestorm special wildlife, other than the obviously magic-stuff, is based very heavily on ancient Australian and South American marsupials. It's subtly "hard science" - except then you have acid swamps and dragons and whatever.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #15
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
His (or her) horns look very intimidating, but even though the rules permit it, I can’t visualise him with his horns in a sword-fight. He’s better of with a large sword or axe in his hands.
Well most minotaurs I'm familiar with tend to favor big axes in hand when not doing ritual fights for mating purposes or unarmed by circumstance, in the latter which case it's still usually better than trying to punch or kick.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:19 AM   #16
joppeknol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Here's my Minotaur for my Ranoc setting. Feel free to adapt it to Yrth or any other setting:

Thank you. I will.
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, minotaur, race, world-building