Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Beguiler

Default Re: Cinematic Whip Wielding?

The Entangle (Whip) > Necksnap was a cinematic option suggested in a previous thread by P.K. for a whip style, so I think it's safe to waive realistic-ness of it. After all, this thread is discussing cinematic whip abilities. I do agree with keeping the divisor though... if you want to do silly amounts of damage, use Power Blow.

Also, a Whip "variant" of the Heroic Archer I think ought to just be the two Rule Exemption perks, along with the no Parry penalty, at [20], bought in addition of Weapon Master if desired since Heroic Archer can be bought in combination with Weapon Master too. The double roll to Whip skill at penalty to instantly have the whip ready in between attacks and parries, while matching what Heroic Archer does, but I don't think it has to be. It just feels like excessive die rolling when the part of the intent of the advantage is to just waive the required Ready maneuvers anyways.
Beguiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Beguiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
(And the suffix -slinger doesn't automatically mean +20 points; price it for what you get.)
But that brings us back to my original price of [5]. [20] seems just about right as it's pricing it at the same as similar swashbuckling weapon capability advantages.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #13
Gef

Do you use styles, Beguiler? Are there a bunch of whipslingers in the campaign, or are you thinking of a unique character?

If the former, you probably don't need a package, except as a short-hand, but you're already contemplating a lot of additional perks for techniques to make the whipslinger come into his own. Maybe so many that you'll want to add one more: Rules Exemption: No Style Perk Limit. Then just write up the style.

For a unique character, consider

Cutting Attack 1pt (ST-based, Melee Reach 1-4) for 4 points, and maybe +1 for a perk-level unusual background to let him have it. I think the mechanics really do support a 5pt cost. The cutting attack by default inflicts sw+1/cut with no armor divisor, at reach 1-4, based on Brawling, with a power parry as usual. It's a special effect to switch from Brawling to Whip skill. I would add a further special effect, that the attack requires an actual whip (downside) but has the reach of that actual weapon (potential upside) and benefits from whip-related advantages/perks, cinematic skills, techniques, weapon quality and enchantment if applicable (more potential upside if you pay the cost in points or cash - if you think the ability should cost 25 points, it will in conjunction with Weapon Master: Whip).

Last edited by Gef; 10-29-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beguiler View Post
The other night I was playing my old Neverwinter Nights on the Hordes of the Underdark module, and something just suddenly irked me. Why, my whip Weapon Master could both immediately attack and parry at no trouble and attack repeatedly in rapid succession with a whip, but in GURPS this would be wholly impossible.
That D&D guy is attacking over six seconds to the GURPS character's one. Are you sure he's actually faster?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
Beguiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
Do you use styles, Beguiler? Are there a bunch of whipslingers in the campaign, or are you thinking of a unique character?

*snip*
I use already made styles for inspiration for how I'd want a character to fight, but I don't abide by the rules GURPS uses for martial arts styles. The character is meant to be unique; each player has their own unique character with their own signature unarmed/armed fighting style, Soul Caliber-esque.

As for the speed of the character, sir_pudding, it would at least appear that that character was attacking rather unusually quickly... or maybe it's all those Sneak Attacks and frequent Haste buffs. /shrug

Tags
cinematic play, weapon master, whip