Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2020, 01:52 AM   #11
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: Low-IQ Empathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I never let my players see their sense rolls, I roll for them. That way, they do not know if I am telling the truth or lying.
That's... not a response to anything anyone was saying? No one was saying that there was an issue because players can see their rolls and know whether or not you're lying. They said there was an issue because in this case, they don't think a simple failure should mean the GM lies.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:01 AM   #12
coronatiger

We use a house rule that says that advantages like Sensitive roll against a flat 12. Since the advantages don't cost differently for characters with different base stats, they should be equally useful, independent of (e.g.) IQ. If you want a higher chance of success, buy an improved version of the advantage, like Empathy, or get a power talent.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:10 AM   #13
weby

In such situations I would go either with the "based on Per" as suggested by others, use based on a skill or use reliable.

All three suit some situations but give different feels.
Based on per is a "I can see that something is wrong"
Based on skill is a "By my long experience as a detective/whatever I can sense that something is wrong"
Reliable is a "I am just such a strong mentalist that I know that something is wrong"
The default IQ is a "based on your actions/words, I can deduce that something is wrong".

So they all work in different situations.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:45 AM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

If you want to completely avoid house rules, creative interpretations, etc. and have something that works in any "official" campaign regardless of the GM's biases, add Reliable to taste. Reliable +4, +20% will raise the cost of Empathy by all of 3 points and make the roll IQ+4; Reliable +8, +40% will cost a whopping 6 points and make it an IQ+8 roll, at which even a lizard is likely to succeed with some regularity.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #15
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
If you want to completely avoid house rules, creative interpretations, etc. and have something that works in any "official" campaign regardless of the GM's biases, add Reliable to taste. Reliable +4, +20% will raise the cost of Empathy by all of 3 points and make the roll IQ+4; Reliable +8, +40% will cost a whopping 6 points and make it an IQ+8 roll, at which even a lizard is likely to succeed with some regularity.
What about Sensitive, though? It seems like allowing Reliable on Sensitive would be exploitative, considering you can get Sensitive with Cosmic, No die roll for less than the price of unmodified Empathy.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #16
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
What about Sensitive, though? It seems like allowing Reliable on Sensitive would be exploitative, considering you can get Sensitive with Cosmic, No die roll for less than the price of unmodified Empathy.
Of course. That's why everything in GURPS needs to be GM approved.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #17
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Of course. That's why everything in GURPS needs to be GM approved.
But my point is that that solution doesn't fully solve the problem, since it still leaves Sensitive giving you the opposite of the truth most of the time, which doesn't make much sense for an advantage.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #18
TGLS

Then adapt "skills for everyone" (P162) and make up an Empathy skill. Then they can buy it up high without becoming a super-genius. Or just alter lying on a failure to only critical failures, otherwise smart players will just play contrary. "I only succeed 5% of the time, so I'll treat everything I get from it as a lie."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:41 AM   #19
Anders

Power-Ups: Talents has rules for Empathy as a Talent. If you want to mod Empathy heavily I would use that approach and modify the Talent with Reliable.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
But my point is that that solution doesn't fully solve the problem, since it still leaves Sensitive giving you the opposite of the truth most of the time,
Not how I'd play it. The word "lie" does not mean "say the opposite of the truth". Half-truths work much better. Mind you me, I've always considered Sensitive to be intended for very high intelligence characters whose players just want their character's empathy to be less than infallible.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote