Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2017, 06:19 AM   #11
Yako

Default Re: The Discworld Roleplaying Game (now available in PDF)

Had been waiting for this for ages!^^

Contrary to what some people were saying, it is NOT easy to get hold of it outside the states unless you have a stroke of luck (or if you want to mistakenly buy the original GURPS Discworld), thus this really is nice for the European customers.
I only think it is a bit of a shame the map of the Discworld ends up split over two pages, it would have been nice to maybe have a full color version of it included (both in the hardcover and PDF), but the same map is luckily easily available online.

I think it is overall a good choice to simplify modifiers to advantages into flat values added or subtracted, especially since it is fully compatible with the full GURPS rules.

I do like the slightly simplified / freeform style ritual magic and appreciate that there has been quite some attention to detail to keep certain Discworld conventions.

Admittedly, I think it fits how Witch magic is presented better than how WIzard magic is presented, but to be fair, WIzard magic was never very consistent and this is much more fun.

Custom Cardboard Miniatures
Yako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:35 AM   #12
Phil Masters

Once again, thanks to everyone for the kind words on this. And do please spread the word about it to gamers and Discworld fans of your acquaintance; now that SJGames have been persuaded to put things like this out in PDF, I'd hate to see them disappointed by the results. Plus, yes, it's a way of making the book available in regions of the world where distribution is being quite so hopeless.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #13
Arcanjo7Sagi

Sorry for resuscitating this thread. Is just a question. A months ago, when Discworld RPG was released, there was some tread or notes from talking about how some advantages, skill and other details changed and how to use with "normal GURPS". Where is it? I just can't find it anymore!

By the way, I bought the book and I'm loving it!
Old 07-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
Arcanjo7Sagi

Ok, ignore the previews post. I found it.

It was this:

https://www.philmasters.org.uk/RPGs/UnderTheBonnet.pdf

Anyway, thanks for the great book! I'm loving it!
Old 07-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #15
Paulon

Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten about this one after I saved it. *appends it to my Discworld PDF, now up to 451 pages*
Paulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:53 AM   #16
Phil Masters

Don't forget that there are other PDFs on my Web site that you might also wish to append. https://www.philmasters.org.uk/RPGs/ has a list.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:05 AM   #17
Paulon

Thanks for the tip. I'd missed the Discworld-Dungeonworld one too. Had the others though. :-)
Paulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:33 AM   #18
Phil Masters

Incidentally, if anyone is really interested in the thinking underlying the book, issue #11 of Tabletop Gaming Magazine has an interview with me on the subject.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
DreadDomain

Full disclosure here, I do not like Discworld. Actually no, I have no clue if I like Discworld because I could never bring myself to read a single novel. Everything I read about it makes me believe the setting and stories are somewhat absurd and comedic. Not a style I like to read or play. If I wanted to try one novel to start with, is there one you would recommend?

That being said, I am a GURPS fan and like others, I've believed for a long time the game needed a complete book with integrated rules and setting. To top it, Phil is obviously passionate about it so it was an extra incentive to buy it. I first bought the PDF and yesterday I bought the physical book when, to my surprise, I came across it in a game store in Brisbane.

I haven't read it all yet (to many good stuff to read) but so far I believe the treatment is fantastic. Phil has massaged the rules to make them fit the subject and the art is very atmospheric.

GURPS has now two GURPS medium treatments out there. Discworld and Dungeon Fantasy.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #20
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
Full disclosure here, I do not like Discworld. Actually no, I have no clue if I like Discworld because I could never bring myself to read a single novel. Everything I read about it makes me believe the setting and stories are somewhat absurd and comedic. Not a style I like to read or play. If I wanted to try one novel to start with, is there one you would recommend?
Going Postal. It's from well into the setting's maturation and is where many fans started (including my mother, a postal worker herself), but its main character is new to the book and as much benefit as you can get out of having read the earlier books first, knowledge of characters from the other books is not at all needed.

I'd also suggest any and all City Watch sub-series of books, but Thud! might actually be the best starting place within those rather than Guards! Guards! if you're afraid the series might be too silly.

But for suggesting only a single Discworld novel, I'd still say Going Postal.

Tags
discworld, discworld rpg, gurps