Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2020, 06:24 AM   #1
FeiLin

Default Two-handed ST

What's the ST when using a weapon with two hands instead of one? I might've missed it, but I do recall seeing using the off-hand is at -2 while legs are at +2, so using two hands might also be +2 or something. Or does hands have any other impact on using weapons other than what's described under † or ‡ (B270)?
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Two-handed ST

It has no effect on ST, though it may effect MinST and damage, depending on the weapon.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
RyanW

If there's a two-handed line in the weapon table, just use that. If not, it's an application of Defensive Grip (Martial Arts, p. 111).

The -2 to off-hand ST comes from an optional rule box on Martial Arts p. 124, and +2 with legs is Martial Arts p. 79.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #4
Varyon

Generally speaking, from the weapon tables (and the rules from LTC2), using both hands gives a +1 to both thrusting and swinging damage, and treats the weapon as though it weighs 2/3 as much for purposes of determining MinST. That's for weapons designed to be usable either way; it's up to the GM if a normally one-handed weapon can be used in this way, or if it has to make use of Defensive Grip. I'd generally be fine with it.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
Plane

Where it could matter greatly is also if using Technical Grappling, since 1H and 2H usage calculate Grip ST differently for tabulating Control Points you roll whether establishing or breaking away from grapples.

Except in the weird case of Grabbing Parry where 1H gets 0.5xST (like a 1H attack) but a 2H still gets 0.5xST. I'd rather see 2h parries (wrest/sumo, cross parry or supported parry) get double the CP of 1h ones, whether that means them getting 1.0xST or reducing the 1H grabbing parries to 0.25xST
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote