Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2020, 12:27 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Budget-Friendly Comic Superheroes [Powers/Supers]

Because it was requested in another thread, I thought that it would be good idea to create a thread where people could post their budget friendly versions of their favorite superheroes. In general, I would suggest that everyone keep realistic characters at a maximum of 500 CP, cinematic characters at a maximum of 1,000 CP, and powered characters to a maximum of 2,000 CP. If possible, please make sure to mention what type of character they are (realistic, cinematic, or powered), their point value, and their origin (including which comic books company they originated from).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
CeeDub

Default Re: Budget-Friendly Comic Superheroes [Powers/Supers]

Could you explain what you mean by "budget-friendly"? 2000 character points is not exactly a tight budget, even for a superhero. Also, if you want budget supers, I recommend KYOS log ST. Are you down with that or do you insist on Super Effort?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

The first budget-friendly comic superheroes I am going to post are the race of Amazons from DC. A race of superhuman women uniquely blessed by the gods to oppose patriarchal societies, they were isolated on the island nation of Themyscira for thousands of years. An immortal race, the average Amazon has spent thousands of years perfecting her combat abilities, which is reflected in the impressive capabilities of the template. Notable Amazons, such as Wonder Woman, are some of the most powerful entities living on Earth in the DC Universe.

In general, the average Amazon is an unparalleled fighter, only matched by her peers on the island of Themyscira. While they are superhuman, they were historically overwhelmed by sheer numbers, as humans could reproduce while Amazons were women who had been selectively blessed by the gods. While the gods could decide to bless new Amazons, such blessings were vanishingly rare after the Amazons retreated from the outside world.

Amazon [1000]

Attribute Modifiers: ST+10 [100]; DX+10 [200]; IQ+2 [40]; HT+10 [100]

Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Per+8 [40]; Will+8 [40]; Basic Speed +2.00 [40]

Advantages: Appearance (Beautiful) [12]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Danger Sense [15]; Flight (Gliding, -50%) [20]; Heroic Archer [20]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Less Sleep 4 [8]; Lifting ST+10 [30]; Luck [15]; Night Vision 5 [5]; Striking ST+10 [50]; Trained by a Master [30]; Unusual Background (Ultimate Style [Amazonian Martial Arts]) [20]; Unaging [15]; Very Fit [15]; Voice [10]; Weapon Master (Amazonian Weapons [Bow; Shield; Shortsword; Spear]) [30]

Wildcard Skills: Style! (Ultimate Style [Amazonian Martial Arts]) (WC) DX+8 [120]

Ultimate Style (Amazonian Martial Arts) [9 points]

Skills: Bow; Fast-Draw (Arrow); Karate; Parry Missile Weapons; Shield; Shortsword; Spear; Wrestling

Techniques: All.

Cinematic Skills: Blind Fighting; Body Control; Breaking Blow; Flying Leap; Hypnotic Hands; Immovable Stance; Invisibility Art; Kiai; Light Walk; Lizard Climb; Mental Strength; Power Blow; Precognitive Parry; Pressure Points; Pressure Secrets; Push; Sensitivity; Throwing Art; Zen Archery.

Cinematic Techniques: All.

Perks: Skill Adaptation (Brawling techniques default to Karate); Style Adaptation (All); any cinematic Style Perk; any Style Perk from a style descended from the ultimate style (GM chooses).

Optional Traits: Altered Time Rate; Ambidexterity; Combat Reflexes; Enhanced Time Sense; Extra Attack; Weapon Master.

Notes: Unlike the default Ultimate Style, Amazonian Martial Arts is primarily a weapon style, though it does have some effective unarmed combat capabilities in the form of Karate and Wrestling.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Could you explain what you mean by "budget-friendly"? 2000 character points is not exactly a tight budget, even for a superhero. Also, if you want budget supers, I recommend KYOS log ST. Are you down with that or do you insist on Super Effort?
Budget-friendly depends on the definition of the setting. In some settings, 250 CP will be budget-friendly for supers. In other settings, 2,000 CP will be budget-friendly for supers.

As for KYOS, I do not like it because it deviates too dramatically from the RAW ST attribute. While Super-Effort is not ideal, at least it does not limit normal humans to ST 13, which is the equivalent of ST 20 in KYOS from what I understand. While it is cheaper, it is cheaper through a gimmick, and any GM can make any trait cheaper (or more expensive) though using the same gimmick.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:20 PM   #5
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
While Super-Effort is not ideal, at least it does not limit normal humans to ST 13, which is the equivalent of ST 20 in KYOS from what I understand.
ST 16 (KYOS) is ST 20 (RAW).
Old 08-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #6
AlexanderHowl

I thought that it was a base10 log scale? Is it working off the log of the ST or the log of Basic Lift?
Old 08-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
Anders

BL = 2 * 10^(ST/10)

So for ST 16: 16/10 is 1.6 10^1.6 = 40. 2 *40 = 80. So BL for ST 16 is 80 lbs.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #8
AlexanderHowl

Yes, I remember now, you end up with a ST 120 individual being able to carry a mountain. I just find it is less intuitive than the RAW ST and that it scales badly with Innate Attack. It is always an issue would using log10 functions. Of course, RAW ST has its own issues, primarily with damage, but I really do not see KYOS really doing any better, which is why I would prefer not to see KYOS in this section.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #9
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Yes, I remember now, you end up with a ST 120 individual being able to carry a mountain.
That's the same issue with Super-ST just at a different point range.

Quote:
I just find it is less intuitive than the RAW ST and that it scales badly with Innate Attack.
That's untrue. Unlike Super-ST damage doesn't scale up like that. You get the same bonus for +10 ST that you do if you have ST10 or ST20. Damage scales much better with innate attack than any other system proposed.

Quote:
I would suggest that everyone keep realistic characters at a maximum of 500 CP, cinematic characters at a maximum of 1,000 CP, and powered characters to a maximum of 2,000 CP.
I've found that anything over 1000 points shouldn't be designed by players - at least not without a lot of guidance, explicit restrictions, and GM fiat. You get too much variance between point efficiency and durability.

Last edited by naloth; 08-06-2020 at 04:09 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #10
AlexanderHowl

I generally find that it prevents confusion to have the GM assist players in designing their characters, regardless of the point value, as they will often end up disappointed otherwise. The point values are generous, but they are budget-friendly for comic book characters because many comic book characters breech 4,000+ CP. As for KYOS, the point of the thread is not to advocate for alternatives to the existing structure and pricing of existing traits. If we opened up that particular can of worms, we would end up getting nowhere.