Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
Thiago F

Default GURPS inspired online boxing

I have been playing GURPS on and off for almost twenty years now (gosh...) and recently I started studying game design. Where am I going with it?

Well I love the simulations style of GURPS combat and I believe this style is perfect for some online tactical combat... thing (game, whatever). So I hacked something I thought my friends/players would have fun with and would help us understand our options in combat.

There are not much combat in our games lately but when there is I like it to be detailed and interesting.

I made this site (a web application is the proper name I suppose). It is very crude. Only takes two people at a time, good enough for me and my three player/friends to try it out.

http://sw-sc.us-2.evennode.com/index.html

http://sw-sc.us-2.evennode.com/index.html

It is HEAVILY inspired by GURPS, no doubt about it. =D

I could be showing to other people but if they do not play GURPS it will probably not make much sense as it is.

I am showing it here because I believe people here could have some fun with it. =)

Also, I am not sure what to do with this code. And I am not sure how ok it is to use this much GURPS terminology. But I would not like to see it just go to waste having never being used for anyone else ever... =(

I am also not sure this is the place to something like this. But I have being to these fora every now and then for years and I just registered now because I finally have something to ask/talk about. =)

So thank you all for reading this far. Let me know if try it. Let me know if you have any feedback/suggestions.

If I am posting in the wrong place or something, please let me know. My apologies!

(It is on a free SaaS, it will stay online for a week and then disappear. I mean, if you read this a week from posting date there is nothing to check out, sorry. =P)
Thiago F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Maz

Default Re: GURPS inspired online boxing

Are you supposed to be able to do anything on those pages? I just see two empty statblocks.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
seycyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Are you supposed to be able to do anything on those pages? I just see two empty statblocks.
CLick on both links to open two tabs. Increase stats to spend points on both tabs. Submit on both tabs. Fight and defend (hit the submit button) on both tabs.
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #4
dripton

That's a nice Minimal Viable Product for a GURPS combat simulator. 3 attributes, one skill, 3 hit locations.

I'm interested to see if SJG asks you to take it down. If not, maybe there's some hope for a fancier one being allowed. (As long as it stays in the realm of a utility for GURPS players, not a standalone game.)
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
Thiago F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
What seycyrus said.

Otherwise, check the Audience number. It is how many people are on the site. The number between parentheses is how many fighter are ready. If the number is 2 (max) a fight is going on.

You were supposed to be able to watch it, but as I said it is a very very crude experiment. =P

You can open a tab for yourself and ask a friend anywhere to open one for themselves. It works just as well on a mobile browser (as everything should nowadays).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
That's a nice Minimal Viable Product for a GURPS combat simulator. 3 attributes, one skill, 3 hit locations.

I'm interested to see if SJG asks you to take it down. If not, maybe there's some hope for a fancier one being allowed. (As long as it stays in the realm of a utility for GURPS players, not a standalone game.)
I think it possible to learn about some combat options using it. Besides that I am not sure. I wish it was a game. A site anyone can go, call a friend a have a go at it. =)

Perhaps repacking it to be LESS GURPS inspired. =P

I wrote to their licensing department asking about really using GURPS but they were a little vague. Not interested probably.

That is what brought me here I guess. Looking for someone to tell me if it is a fun experience and suggestions of what to do with it.

By the way, thank you all for the replies. =)

I will look for somewhere else to show it. Any ideas?
Thiago F is offline   Reply With Quote