Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
Jennifer

Default In Nomine: Ottawa

Does anyone have ideas or resources for IN: Ottawa?

As an experiment, one of my boyfriends and I are testing how well the Dresden Files city creation method work for In Nomine, and we chose Ottawa. We're still early in the process, hashing out city-level themes and aspects.

So far, we have the following themes:
  • Politics and bureaucracy (with "Byzantium's Got Nothin' On Us" as the aspect)
  • Ethnic diversity
  • Winter, because Winterlude just rocks
  • A poorly articulated theme about how the urban landscape is interlaced with greenspace and waterways
So far, it sounds like Factions and Flowers will have a presence. What other Words are suggested by the themes above, and are we missing any obvious themes for Ottawa? Anyone have cool locations we can build in to the city?
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Andygal

Default Re: In Nomine: Ottawa

It occurs to me that if Factions has a presence then Stone would want to have one to counteract them, plus it's hard to imagine Stone not taking an interest in a national capital.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
Azel

(i've been so sickly poo lately... :( )

The easiest way to do this would be brainstorming what are the major ideas/events that people think about when they hear the name of the city Ottawa. Tethers tend to be reinforced by how present they are in the human psyche. So just as much as you can look at natural ecological events, you can dig into the casual awareness of people around you when they think of Ottawa.

That can take some time, so sometimes the natural ecological events can be faster in laying a ground work. If you find it is taking too long collecting informal surveys (i.e. everyday chat) about what people think about the city, it might be a healthy break to slip into geological history for a bit.

For example: Far away Niagara Falls could likely be a tether to something, even a fading tether to Oannes. However, what about the great ice dam that held back the big reservoir that once held all the Great Lakes? What about the event of the ice dam breaking and flowing out to what is now the St. Lawrence river (or whatever, no precise geological history of that area off the top of my head). Could that be the shattering of a dual tether to David and Oannes?

Or skim around Wikipedia for brainstorming. If you look at "Ottawa as a Capital" you'll find what could be a good argument for compromise in choosing a location between East and West Canada. That result could be the kick off to a Marc tether, as it was done in order to unite two very different groups (especially in the face of a common enemy at the time, USA).

I just find that it's sometimes too easy to be anthropocentric, fixating only on the works of humans (and urban cities). So, that's a pitfall I would recommend you avoid if you can. Feel free to make some stuff up just to keep the tethers from being too much tied together by a tour bus. Sometimes a cherry orchard in the exurbs might have had a crazy impact in regional human history. Sometimes a natural phenomenon occurred in the center of the river that runs through the town. Keep at least a few slots open for these curve balls.
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:23 AM   #4
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygal View Post
It occurs to me that if Factions has a presence then Stone would want to have one to counteract them, plus it's hard to imagine Stone not taking an interest in a national capital.
Mmm, when I think Ottawa, I think cold and snows. I think people huddled in their houses and stoically dealing with the weather; gathered in warm groups to fight that which nature throws at it. Add that to native Canadian politeness and that means Stone to me (same Superior, different reasons).

I can almost see a seasonal tether between Harvest and Spring as everyone sort of hunkers down.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
Does anyone have ideas or resources for IN: Ottawa?
I live in Ottawa. Have a net.book. (Which really should be updated sometime. "Repeated balanced budgets" are a thing of the past, alas...)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.

Last edited by robkelk; 08-19-2010 at 05:00 PM.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
Jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I live in Ottawa. Have a net.book. (Which really should be updated sometime. "Repeated balanced budgets" are a thing of the past, alas...)
Ooh, thanks! Chris grew up in Ottawa, but I've only been there the once. (And to be honest, my most striking memory of that trip is slogging lost through the snow in my Southern clothes around New Years, cursing the name of the guy who got "left" and "right" confused when he gave us directions...)

I'm really wanting to do something with Winterlude, though. Is it just not that big a deal in Ottawa?

And you're breaking my heart about the fair-weather sports fans. Not that I'm arguing the truth of it; it just makes me sad. There is insufficient love for Alfie.

::;>
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Ooh, thanks! Chris grew up in Ottawa, but I've only been there the once. (And to be honest, my most striking memory of that trip is slogging lost through the snow in my Southern clothes around New Years, cursing the name of the guy who got "left" and "right" confused when he gave us directions...)
On behalf of the entire city, I apologize for that.

Quote:
I'm really wanting to do something with Winterlude, though. Is it just not that big a deal in Ottawa?
It is a big deal - it's pretty much the only big event between New Year's and Easter - but it's outside in the winter, which makes it cold. <g>

More importantly, I don't have any Winterlude photos to illustrate the section with.

Quote:
And you're breaking my heart about the fair-weather sports fans. Not that I'm arguing the truth of it; it just makes me sad. There is insufficient love for Alfie.

::;>
Yeah... but such is life.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
robkelk
Untitled

I just noticed that I didn't ask to see what you come up with, once you're finished. I might see something (such as your take on Winterlude) that I'd want to add to my net.book, with proper attribution...

Tags
canada, setting