Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Johnny Angel

Default Mage Blade

This is an idea I've been kicking around in my head for a little while, so I decided to try to hash some of it out. The idea was to find a way to use the Force Sword in a non-futuristic setting; more specifically, a fantasy setting. The idea of a 'Mage Blade' seemed interesting; it's pretty much a light saber which is powered by Magery.

Mage Blade (DX - 5 or any other sword skill at -3)
TL......Weapon......Damage......Reach......Parry.. ....Cost......weight......ST
^......Mage Blade....spec..........1,2...........0.......$12,0 00........2...........3

The idea I have for the damage is to base it off of the user's magery level. Eventually, the damage will cap at the normal 8d (5) burn which the Force Sword does. I'm still playing around with the progression, but, for now, I'm going with something like the following:

Magery 0 - 1d (.5)
Magery 1 - 2d burn
Magery 2 - 4d burn
Magery 3 - 6d burn (2)
Magery 4 - 8d burn (2)
Magery 5 - 8d burn (5)

Magery 3 is usually recommended cap for Magery, so I'm sure I will come back to modify this later. For now, I just needed a rough draft to start from.

Aside from damage, the other main difference between a 'Mage Blade' and the Force Sword which it is based up is the manner in which a Mage Blade is powered. A Mage Blade is powered by the energy of the mage himself; part of his own life force is linked to the blade when it is forged. In game terms, this means that some FP is used to power the weapon instead of batteries. A typical Mage Blade can hold up to 2 FP; with each FP providing 150 seconds of use... 300 total for a Mage Blade containing 2 FP.

Misc Thoughts:

I'm not 100% sure how mana levels should impact the power of a Mage Blade. Campaigns 481 has guidelines for how magic items function at different levels of magery, but I envision Mage Blades being a little bit different from being just another magic item. An idea I've considered is having the magery level of an area effect the level at which a Mage Blade functions. Low Mana would cause a MB to function at one level less; high mana would cause a MB to function at one level higher.

Example - Someone with Magery 1 would deal 2d burn with a MB. In a low mana area, this drops to the Magery 0 level of 1d (.5). In a very low mana area or a no mana area, it would not work at all. In a high mana area, his MB would function at the Magery 2 level and deal 4d burn; likewise, in a very high mana area, his MB would function at the Magery 3 level.

I am not sure how something like twisted mana would come into play, but, offhand, I am guessing that the wielder may get some backlash damage when using a Mage Blade.

Any limitations applied to the user's magery advantage should also apply to their mage blade. Thus, night aspected magery would only allow for someone to use their Mage Blade at night. Dance aspected magery would require dancing to turn the MB on and/or off.

I am contemplating the idea of removing the burn damage from the base damage and having mages who are associated with a specific college of magic having mage blades with different effects. A fire college mage would deal burn damage; an earth college mage might cause extra knockback; etc; etc.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, ideas to share, weapons