Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
arnej

Default Two charming people meet...

Watching another PC in a game I'm in, a Charisma-laden negotiator, and I got to wondering - "What possible defense could there be for someone like this?"

Aside from GM-inflicted TDMs, are there any mechanisms to temper someone charming?

I was toying with "Every level of RR modifier possessed by the NPC negates a similar one of the PC" sort of thing.

Is there anything like this? I don't have easy access to Social Engineering. Are there rules in there for these occasions?
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Two charming people meet...

[QUOTE=arnej;2289381]Watching another PC in a game I'm in, a Charisma-laden negotiator, and I got to wondering - "What possible defense could there be for someone like this?"

Aside from GM-inflicted TDMs, are there any mechanisms to temper someone charming?

The Indomitable Advantage from Basic negates it altogether unless the Charismatic one also has Empathy.

A mechnism I recall seeing somewhere is to go to Resistances from Basic and take Resistance to Persuasion. It was priced so that the full Immuintiy version came to 15 pts and was essentally the same as Indomitable.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
A mechnism I recall seeing somewhere is to go to Resistances from Basic and take Resistance to Persuasion. It was priced so that the full Immuintiy version came to 15 pts and was essentally the same as Indomitable.
That's in Social Engineering. You can also buy up Will as such and be highly resistant as a side effect.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Empathy would still circumvent Indomitable. An interesting thing about Influence skills is that NPCs can inflict penalties on PCs equal to margin of success. For example, a successful Diplomacy roll could inflict attack penalties while a successful Sex Appeal roll could inflict Per penalties. In addition, Influence skills are usually not supernatural, so they do not usually obey the Rule of 16.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
Plane

In the situation of 2 people who both have high charm but low will, maybe they both just become enamored with each other and become good friends?

That or, maybe once you are charmed by someone you should have penalties to manipulate them because you don't want to?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
Hide

Regarding the OP,

I know empathy "jams" indomitable, but what about "obscure"? You could buy obscure with the extended enhancement to make empathy fail (10 levels to block it, completely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
In the situation of 2 people who both have high charm but low will, maybe they both just become enamored with each other and become good friends (...)
That could happen between two NPCs after a reaction roll, but between players or NPCs and a players I think that's pretty unlikely unless players decide to play it in such manner.

Most probably, if the NPC "fails" and has a very good reaction roll towards the player, maybe the player will decide to follow a romantic interest (or something beyond "professional" matters).
Old 10-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Regarding the OP,

I know empathy "jams" indomitable, but what about "obscure"? You could buy obscure with the extended enhancement to make empathy fail (10 levels to block it, completely).

s).
You could only obscure Empathy if it came with a power modifier.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
Black Leviathan

No, but neither is there something to defend against someone being tall, or The King. Being likable or convincing isn't necessarily something that requires being countered. And where it puts you at a disadvantage in dealing with them it doesn't control anything. The only thing you'd be countering is someone sounding reasonable.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #9
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
You could only obscure Empathy if it came with a power modifier.
Not necessarily, “extended senses” featured under “detect” allows for believable remote sensing. If someone has an unbelievable positive level of charisma-empathy, it is plausible conceiving the existence of people capable of overcoming it.

You may also think of people born/trained to hide their emotions quite well (ultimately reflecting as an advantage, as charisma-empathy does). You can flavor obscure under this scope, and buy an “obscures motives” enhancement to bust the charismatic-empathic type character.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #10
arnej

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnej View Post
I was toying with "Every level of RR modifier possessed by the NPC negates a similar one of the PC" sort of thing.
Upon further perusal, I found that Status bonuses are based on relative Status. A Status 7 King gets a +1 RR bonus when chatting with a Status 6 Duke.

I may have to do something similar with Charisma.
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote