Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2019, 02:38 AM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Question about an edge case with Gadget

I'm building a character whose powers come from a necklace. Only the pendant actually gives the power, but severing the chain will remove the power temporarily. Not sure what SM I should use.

As a side note, would the -20% or -10% level of Can Be Stolen fit better for a necklace?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:15 AM   #2
Aldric

Default Re: Question about an edge case with Gadget

A pendant is unlikely to be larger than SM-9 which is 2", it would probably be much thinner, but that doesn't really matter since we've already hit the minimum on the discout. As for hitting the chain... I'm not good with fraction of inches, but the SM there could easily be in the SM-15 range. If it's also hidden under clothes or armor it's pretty much impossible to hit. I would say that reduces the value of the Breakable limitation as well.

As for stealing it if a bracelet is - 30% and a coin in a pocket - 20%. You're probably looking at - 30% if you have to wear it openly and - 20% otherwise
Aldric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:27 AM   #3
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
A pendant is unlikely to be larger than SM-9 which is 2", it would probably be much thinner, but that doesn't really matter since we've already hit the minimum on the discout. As for hitting the chain... I'm not good with fraction of inches, but the SM there could easily be in the SM-15 range. If it's also hidden under clothes or armor it's pretty much impossible to hit. I would say that reduces the value of the Breakable limitation as well.
SM is based on largest dimension (length in the case of the chain). You're right that the pendant would be well under SM-9, but I think the chain would be around SM-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
As for stealing it if a bracelet is - 30% and a coin in a pocket - 20%. You're probably looking at - 30% if you have to wear it openly and - 20% otherwise
I think a bracelet is much easier to steal than a necklace. -30% is just a Quick Contest of DX or ST, and I'm not sure it should be that easy to take a necklace someone is wearing.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #4
Aldric

SM is based on the largest dimension unless the object is just long and much smaller in the other 2 dimensions, the example on B550 is a cable, and it says to use the smallest dimension.

As for stealing it, i was just going by the examples, if you keep it hidden it wwould require trickery, if you have the pendant in plain view, someone could just grab it and hope the chain snaps, hence something between - 30 and - 20. They don't need to get it from your corpse, unless that's what you want.
Aldric is online now   Reply With Quote