Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #21
the1weasel

Default Re: Live In The Labyrinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleph View Post
I've chosen to place myself on the end because of the nature of our studio space. We need to fit 5 people around 3 sides of the table, and if I have my books, computer, minis, screen, and other materials, there really isn't enough room for two others on that side of the table.
I run in to this every time at Cons that have rectangular tables instead of round. And even so, there is usually 1 seat to my right that I only give up reluctantly which I use to hold some stuff I don't want players immediately seeing. Of course, I'm packing around close to 2cu.ft of terrain, minis, rules, and display items.

I think that in terms of both production quality and everyone's growing comprehension and familiarity of the system, y'all are doing fantastic.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #22
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
* Images can be disbelieved.
I thought only illusions could be disbelieved?
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #23
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
I thought only illusions could be disbelieved?
You may attempt to disbelieve an image but it will never have any effect
Old 10-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #24
hcobb

A comment in passing that you can rest while riding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCscl3psmDs

So bring back the Goblin sorceress exploring the dungeon while riding a wolf.

Of course they also ignore the -3 DX adjustment to hit snakes so perhaps this group isn't the best rule judges out there.

Last edited by hcobb; 10-16-2019 at 07:44 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #25
the1weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Of course they also ignore the -3 DX adjustment to hit snakes so perhaps this group isn't the best rule judges out there.
That may have had something to do with the Chaos magic? If you try to apply every rule in every situation where it may possibly be applied, it can push you in the opposite direction of the light/fast play which is the spirit of TFT. I guess since all snakes are on the ground (prone) whyn't you just assign a permanent adjustment of +1 to hit them? +4 DX for a standing figure striking at a prone opponent, then a -3 for the elusive nature of snakes.

Of course, perhaps the GM, realized that the same battle would take 4 hours to play out with the reduced chances of hitting if that -3 were applied. The most crucial sentence in the rule book is "This book is a reference, and the game mechanics described here will help keep things organized, but the GM has the last word." I think the GM is doing a good job as both storyteller and referee.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #26
hcobb

The to-hit adjustment is printed right on that page of the adventure and is an important part of balancing the encounter as it gives the snakes the chance to make the first strike.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #27
Aleph
Administrator

The resting while riding was a GM adjudication, and not based on anything other than a gut feeling and wanting the party to have a bit more resources going into the caverns. With Death Test being their only experience with the system so far, I felt like they significantly over-estimated the difficulty of the bandit fight, and wanted them to have some of those resources back.

I saw the to-hit adjustment on the snakes' entry, but it was right after a mention of poison (or lack thereof) so I couldn't tell how it was to be applied so I ignored it.

Quote:
Of course, perhaps the GM, realized that the same battle would take 4 hours to play out with the reduced chances of hitting if that -3 were applied.
Yeah, looking back, unless the party figures out how the snakes operate, I feel like it would just drag on if they also have a -3 to hit them. At least with new players that may not realize how important DX is when they make things.

Last edited by Aleph; 10-17-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #28
hcobb

Twenty minutes until (spoiler deleted)
Old 10-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #29
hcobb

Yet another correction: Snakes aren't crawling.