Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 09-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Michael Cule

Default How do you force a celestial to celestial combat? And what do you do with captives?

The angel characters in my game are doing fine at tracking down demons and slaughtering their physical forms.

However, only one one occasion have they managed to attack an enemy celestial on the celestial plane and actually destroy it.

They keep bashing up demons and leaving them unconscious too. There appears little they can then do with them other than send them right back to hell.

Is there any realistic way that you can hold a demon prisoner?

Any way to interrogate them?

Any way to force them into celestial form and liquidate them? (They are always careful to outnumber the demons.)
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: How do you force a celestial to celestial combat? And what do you do with captive

I don't know the general answer, but there is a vicious trick you can play on Shedim. Reduce the host to unconsciousness without killing them. Transport them within thirty minutes to a strong celestial tether. When the Shedite is forced from the unconscious host at the end of his thirty minutes grace, it's in the tether locus, and takes 1d6 celestial damage per Force of the tether per turn.

We invented this trick for a Shedite of Factions, and destroyed it.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: How do you force a celestial to celestial combat? And what do you do with captive

The Liber Reliquarum is your go-to book here. It has plenty of items that will help - or hinder! - a party of Celestials capture, interrogate, and dispatch a Celestial from the other side.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
Michael Cule

And John, beating up humans (no matter if they do have Shedim inside) is not the Angelic Thing To Do!

And you'd have to be damn fast about it to keep the Shedim inside the human. A canny corrupter will prefer to abandon their client (even if that might cost them some Dissonance) to being captured by Angels.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
PenitentDemon

In Liber Canticorium theirs a song that lets you force them to go celestial.

For captives, In one game I ran once a reliever was asked to drag some unconcious demons someplace safe, but decided to just bite their throats out (Reliever had a dog vessel)

was wondering how the Angels of the Sword, could react if they found out.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #6
ladyarcana55

Liber Canticorum has a couple of Songs.

The Corporeal Song of Banishing (Page 62) is most likely what you are looking for.

I remember reading a Song the Laurence teaches to a chosen few that does the same thing, but I can't find it so I don't know if it's the same one. If anyone has the info on that one, maybe they can help?

Otherwise, I would suggest the Corporeal Song of Banishing to get him out of the vessel followed by the Ethereal Song of Forbidding (Page 36) to make sure he stays put for a bit.

Last edited by ladyarcana55; 09-17-2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: I just realized I forgot something
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
tHEhERETIC

Sorcerer for hire! Cheap! Bindings and banishings! Just

a) put up with a flaming ego
b) don't let the Malakim too close
c) don't let on that later on you're going to let the Malakim get too close
d) have a rather grey party and/or a rather light grey sorcerer.

0:)
Old 09-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #8
PenitentDemon

Why is it, I have a feeling, that Angels would prefer even a white Wizard they deeply trusted, be an independent operator they occasionaly exchanged favors with, not partying with angels?
Old 09-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #9
Jason

I think the Song of Banishing is listed as "restricted," and with good reason, as it's SUPER powerful to be able to detect any character's choir or band with one fell swoop, not to mention forcing them into actually deadly combat. I've only ever introduced it as something Wordbound NPCs can do, or as the property of a relic that's strictly on loan for a specific job.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #10
PenitentDemon

oh one problem? part of the THEMES of in nomine is the low death penalty.

Tags
celestials