Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-11-2015, 03:38 AM   #1
Falcon88

Default Updated rules?

Hi guys,

where can I find the last rules for Munchkin and its expansions?

Because I have questions concerning

1) starting hand: should each player draw out 4 doors and 4 treasures (like stated in my Star Munchkin rulebook or on www.worldofmunchkin.com) or 2 doors and 2 treasures (like stated in my Munchkin Booty and Munchkin Chtulhu, and on www.raven-distribution.com)?

2) Character creation: should each player create its own character (playing starting classes, races and equipment) before the first player opens the first door (like shown in the tutorial on www.worldofmunchkins.com), or before opening his own door (like Steve Jackson himself shows in Will Wheaton's "Table Top")?

Thanks for help!

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 08-11-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Falcon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:21 AM   #2
Enzzo

Default Re: Updated rules?

The up-to-date rules for Munchkin are at http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules/munchkin_rules.pdf

and you can find rules for other core sets by going here, clicking on the game in question, scrolling down to the bottom of the page, and clicking on the "rules" link.

To answer your questions:

1) Drawing 4 of each card as your opening hand is the current rule, so do that. Always go by what you see on worldofmunchkin.com, and what the mods on this forum say, and not any other site, as these are the official sites. See this thread for more on that.

2) It's your choice; both are legal. The character creation phase happens before the first player kicks down the first door, so you are allowed to play your race, class, equipment, etc. at that time, but if you choose not to lay down your cards until your turn, that's your call. I believe Steve was being strategic in not revealing his cards until the last possible moment.
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:37 AM   #3
Falcon88

Thank you very much, you have been very helpfull!
Old 08-11-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Raven is the licensed manufacturer of the Italian version of Munchkin. What they say on their site about their translated version should be considered official for their version, and not treated so cavalierly.

In theory, you should use the rules your game comes with, unless you happen to be blending two games and the rules for each conflict. In that case, you'll have to pick which rules to use. Having said that, I have no way of stopping you from using the updated rules from SJG's site.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Falcon88

Yes, I am Italian and i play the Italian version of the game, but in Munchkin Chtulhu and Munchkin Booty players start with 2 and 2 cards while in Star they start with 4 and 4 (from rulebooks). On www.raven-distribution.com all rulebooks state 2 and 2. So I thought the conflict was related to the lack of updates (on the site or in the rulebooks) and not in translations. I think I will follow the 4 and 4 rule, but in the end it could be 8 and 8 that the game would be still balanced, and just the opening would result more or less fast.
Thanks for your help anyway!
Old 08-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Ultimately, I can't really speak to the motivations of a company I have no contact with, so I can't address why Raven did not keep up with the changes made to Munchkin in 2010. I suppose it is possible that they added Star Munchkin to their line after 2010, so they always had that particular version of the rules with 4 and 4 cards. However, I don't want to speculate further.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character, creation, hand, starting