Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Scenttii

Default Newbie Asking Questions

I had a few questions in regards to what is termed as items and what isn't. I understand that in the beginning you start off by distributing 8 cards to each player. Is there a limit to how many items you can place down during your turn? If you somehow managed to get nothing but class and armor, would you be able to place them all down as long as they're not BIG?

Another question, whenever a card asks you to discard an item, does that only include the ones that you have face up on the table? Can you discard an item from your hand?

For some items, such as the Wishing Ring, can you place that face up in front of you? Can you place X amount of armors in front of you even if you're only wearing one?

Also, in terms of bad stuff, if you lose a fight against a monster and you're level one and the only bad stuff it does is something that wouldn't effect you, such as Lose a Level, or Lose a Headgear (If you have no headgear equipped) what happens? Is it perfectly fine to not bother running from it and just toss the fight?

Last question is in regards to Death. Only certain creatures can give you death, correct? If you die, I understand that people get to pick one card from your corpse. If you were Level 4 Cleric Dwarf when you died, when you come back into the game, are you still a Level 4 Cleric Dwarf without a hand until it is your turn again, in which case you gain 8 cards again?

Sorry for all of the questions. Played the game yesterday for the first time and had a ton of fun. We were test driving it and these were some of our questions that had popped up.
Scenttii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
StormCrow42

Default Re: Newbie Asking Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenttii View Post
I had a few questions in regards to what is termed as items and what isn't. I understand that in the beginning you start off by distributing 8 cards to each player. Is there a limit to how many items you can place down during your turn? If you somehow managed to get nothing but class and armor, would you be able to place them all down as long as they're not BIG?
There is no limit as to the number of cards you can play in a turn.

Quote:
Another question, whenever a card asks you to discard an item, does that only include the ones that you have face up on the table? Can you discard an item from your hand?
Cards in your hand are not items, curses and other effects that require you to lose an item mean one that is in play.

Quote:
For some items, such as the Wishing Ring, can you place that face up in front of you? Can you place X amount of armors in front of you even if you're only wearing one?
You can play any Item face up on the table. Items have a gold piece value or say "No Value". You may only have one Big item unless you're a Dwarf or have another card that says you may (such as Cheat).

Quote:
Also, in terms of bad stuff, if you lose a fight against a monster and you're level one and the only bad stuff it does is something that wouldn't effect you, such as Lose a Level, or Lose a Headgear (If you have no headgear equipped) what happens? Is it perfectly fine to not bother running from it and just toss the fight?
You should roll to run away, just in case someone has a card they can play in the event that you fail or succeed in running away. (unless the Monster says that it won't pursue you).

Quote:
Last question is in regards to Death. Only certain creatures can give you death, correct? If you die, I understand that people get to pick one card from your corpse. If you were Level 4 Cleric Dwarf when you died, when you come back into the game, are you still a Level 4 Cleric Dwarf without a hand until it is your turn again, in which case you gain 8 cards again?
Yes, that's exactly right.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Clipper

Also note that some Items go into a slotted position, such as Armor, Headgear, Footgear and Handed Items. You can only use one each at a time of Armor, Headgear and Footgear and 2 Hands worth of Handed Items. You can play as many of these Items as you want, but must turn the ones you are not using sideways. You are said to be 'carrying' all these Items, whether you are using them or not, which is why the restriction on only being able to carry one Big Item means you can't play further ones.

And on Death, keep in mind that you come back to life on the next player's turn, but you do wait until your next turn to draw the 8 cards. You can't get new cards while you are dead, but you can when you are alive. You still get the 8 cards, even if others have given you cards in the meantime (perhaps via Charity). You also keep any curse cards that you were suffering from when you die.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Scenttii

This happened in yesterday's game and I had a question regarding it. Say you are a facing that Horrible Awful Door card that kills you if you aren't a wizard. If you were helping a person and you died in the process from being unable to run away but you were next to play anyways, would you also come back from the dead and draw your cards or would be skipped and then have to wait for a full rotation?

For example, I'm player one, my friend to the left is 2 and the friend to their left is 3. Player 3 died during Player's 2's combat, do they come back from the death after Player's 2's turn ends and ALSO gain the cards?
Scenttii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Clipper

Yes. You come back to life at the start of the next player's turn, even if the next player is you, and the first thing you do on your first turn after death (which will be this one) is draw your 8 new cards.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Since I think this nuance got missed: Normally, you can only have one Class or Race in play at one time (special cards allow for more). You can't put extras in play, they must remain in your hand.

Quote:
Sorry for all of the questions. Played the game yesterday for the first time and had a ton of fun. We were test driving it and these were some of our questions that had popped up.
No worries. However, it's usually best if you can post your questions one to a thread. It actually benefits other forum members when they search if there's one question per descriptively titled thread.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote