Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Indigar

Default Building a post-apocalyptic setting - Could use some input

I've convinced some of my gaming group to give GURPS a try instead of D&D, and have decided to go with a post-apocalyptic setting. I've Googled around a bit, but am still looking for some specifics about what kind of things would survive in the medium-long run, and would also like any other ideas you had :).

Goals for this setting are as follows:
- Post apocalyptic setting, so that characters have a lot of freedom to wander (and get into trouble). We have several fans of Fallout and such, and specifically did not want a standard fantasy setting.
- Magic. Because the tech level will be limited but we'd still like effective healing and such. In addition, I'd like to have some familiar elements for my players, and think I could do some interesting things with magic.
- Lower-than-modern general TL, but some access to up-to-modern tech and especially ideas.

With these goals in mind, I decided on the following:
Somewhere in the universe, there is a very Earthlike world. Unnoticed to anyone on Earth, there have been occasional 'Banestorms' exchanging creatures, and even pieces of landscape, between this world and Earth. (In fact, this is why it is an Earthlike world.
Early in the development of humanity, some protohumans where dropped there, which proceeded to develop in two different directions, becoming 'Elves' and 'Orcs'.
'Elves' are long-lived (300-400 years max.) but not physically impressive, but are innately magical.
'Orcs' are not too bright but very strong and aggressive.
In due time, the Elves and Orcs came into conflict. While the generally greater skill among the Elves helped, eventually it became clear that they were losing.
In secret, a small group of Elves came up with a plan: they would, through a great magical ritual, trigger a small Banestorm centered around each Orc in the world. They didn't know where Banestoms led of what happened to things caught in them, but they did know they were taken away, which was good enough for them.
The ritual worked, though somewhat better than planned: the Banestorms were larger than anticipated, exchanging things for up to a mile around each Orc in the world, including some number of Elves. Still, the world was saved.

On Earth, over the course of less than a day, in thousands of places around the world, chunks of landscape changed suddenly, bringing with them a large number of brutish, primitive, aggressive barbarians.
Though this was a disaster, mostly because the Banestorms often took chunks out of cities, it would have been survivable.
Even the fact that some of the Orc shamans had working magic (mostly of the fireball-hurling and cursing kind), though baffling, would have been no match for modern militaries.

However, the Orcs also brought with them the Plague: to them and to the Elves a minor childhood ailment, to humanity, without any built-up immunity, it was a highly contagious, deadly disease.
Over the course of several weeks, half the population died of pneumonia-like symptoms.

<Massive handwaving> No one is quite sure why, but some time during the chaos, several nations launched nuclear weapons. Some may have been intended to destroy too-large cities of Orcs, some to destroyed diseased areas, and some launched as opportunity attacks against old enemies.</handwaving>

In the wake of all this, much of civilisation collapsed and only slowly began to rebuild.

It is now ~100 years later. Some of the old cities are still barely standing, overgrown with vegetation. Some have been occupied by the decendants of survivors. The banestorms brought with them raw mana, increasing Earth's level from none to normal mana, with pockets of higher levels.
Some of the Elven communities that were transported have survived, and are cautiously allying with nearby human settlements against the still-roving Orcs.
Some humans have learned magic.
The general level of technology is at TL5, TL6 in larger settlements, though the general understanding is at TL7-8; there simply aren't enough resources or people to support a higher TL. There are some surviving examples of technology up to modern TL8.
The radiation has mostly died down, and civilisation is slowly rebuilding, hampered by Orcs and other creatures brought by the Banestorms.

I intend to start the PCs out in a small community living in several surviving skyscarpers, by a city park that has been converted to farmland. The impetus for the campaign will be the discovery that the buildings are, slowly but surely, failing and will soon collapse. The initial goal will be to find a new defensible home for the town's population.

With all this in mind' I would like some advice on a couple of matters:

- I've decided to start everyone off at TL5 levels for wealth and item costs such, though skills can be bought up to TL7.

- What kind of stuff could I defensibly let characters find that has not yet decayed to uselessness? Guns, ammo, gasoline, canned food, etc...

- What would the effects be of using black powder rounds in surviving modern weapons?

- How likely would it be that some pre-Storm vehicles could still be running, and how hard would it be to fuel them?

- What should I watch out for in interactions between magic (from the 4E Magic book) and higher technology?

- Any other advice on helpful rules or sourcebooks.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Indigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Trachmyr

Default Re: Building a post-apocalyptic setting - Could use some input

Your campaign idea has a wide mix of setting themes, so much in fact that you could probably justify tech you actually WANT the characters to have.

First a question, are you using the 3e or 4e TL scheme... modern day in 3e is TL7 while in 4e its TL8.... it makes a big difference.

For instance... if the characters still possess relevant skills (and assume they will since you are allowing them to buy up to TL7 skills), and with access to just the "Making & Breaking" school of magic, there really is no reason why many pieces of tech wouldn't be in pristine condition... and watch out for communication tech, it will change your entire theme, you'll have governments again with organized military.

Without magic, after only a hundred years, you will still be able to find guns, cars, walkie-talkies, etc. It's the consumables that you have to scrounge for, and most cities would have already been picked clean years ago. But again with the right skills (or magic), you can make biodieseil, repack you shell casings, convert and repair solar cells and can your own food.

Also I want to ask, why the nuclear holocost if it's little more than window dressing for the backstory... and you're not even sure of the reasons that caused it?

As for magic-tech interactions, you'll want to decide in advance about access to tech magic... in fact you might want to limit magic considerably, make it VERY rare or require hard to find components, or you'll be handwaving a lot in order to maintain the post-apocolyptic feel of the game.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Akicita

There's relevant info in GURPS Y2K, and Pyramid 3/3 was dedicated to Post-Apocalyptic gaming.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
Indigar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachmyr View Post
Your campaign idea has a wide mix of setting themes, so much in fact that you could probably justify tech you actually WANT the characters to have.

First a question, are you using the 3e or 4e TL scheme... modern day in 3e is TL7 while in 4e its TL8.... it makes a big difference.
I'm using 4e. So, the apocalypse was in the modern day, but some knowledge was lost. Thus, TL7.

Quote:
For instance... if the characters still possess relevant skills (and assume they will since you are allowing them to buy up to TL7 skills), and with access to just the "Making & Breaking" school of magic, there really is no reason why many pieces of tech wouldn't be in pristine condition...
The idea is that magic is new to humanity (they've been taught by the elves), so there won't be any /TL spells above about TL4 yet. I thought this would be enough to limit repair capabilities, but I just noticed that the M&B 'Repair' spell is not a /TL spell and is quite powerful; I read it as allowing the caster to fully repair a severely rusted and degraded item with little effort.

I may have to specify that it took some time for magic to become available to the survivors, so that there has been some time for advanced items to have become rare before further decay could have been prevented.

Quote:
and watch out for communication tech, it will change your entire theme, you'll have governments again with organized military.
This is an important insight that I missed. I don't mind telegraph, since I can easily justify making it hard to sustain into remote areas because of raiders and such, but radio would indeed be a gamechanger.
Any ideas on how to limit this without making it hard to justify ammo being resonably available?

Quote:
Without magic, after only a hundred years, you will still be able to find guns, cars, walkie-talkies, etc. It's the consumables that you have to scrounge for, and most cities would have already been picked clean years ago. But again with the right skills (or magic), you can make biodieseil, repack you shell casings, convert and repair solar cells and can your own food.
This sounds reasonable, again with the exception of widespread radio. I'm thinking that vehicles and usable roads will be rare, but fueling and maintaining those that exists should be possible.
Electricity being available to settlements is also not a problem, though I'm thinking I'll limit batteries to big heavy lead-acid ones to make portable gadgets less useful.

Quote:
Also I want to ask, why the nuclear holocost if it's little more than window dressing for the backstory... and you're not even sure of the reasons that caused it?
This is partly a leftover from early development, before players requested the presence of magic (and my decision to tie the magic in with the apocalypse).
Partly it was also meant to justify certain areas having been too dangerous to go until the fallout died down.
I do agree that it doesn't quite fit right now; I think I'll dump it and just say that magic levels took a while to settle down, with some areas having been Very High/Wild magic until recently and thus too unstable to be livable.

Quote:
As for magic-tech interactions, you'll want to decide in advance about access to tech magic... in fact you might want to limit magic considerably, make it VERY rare or require hard to find components, or you'll be handwaving a lot in order to maintain the post-apocolyptic feel of the game.
My first idea was indeed to limit /TL spells to TL4. In addition, advanced (high-prereq-count) magic will be VERY rare among humans.
I will also be going through Magic to see which spells won't fit the theme and dumping them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akicita View Post
There's relevant info in GURPS Y2K, and Pyramid 3/3 was dedicated to Post-Apocalyptic gaming.
I have a friend who I think has Y2K, so I'll check that out. I'm not sure what Pyramid 3/3 is.

Anyway, thanks to you both.
I'll post later about further developments.
Indigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Jaden

Quote:
This is an important insight that I missed. I don't mind telegraph, since I can easily justify making it hard to sustain into remote areas because of raiders and such, but radio would indeed be a gamechanger.
Any ideas on how to limit this without making it hard to justify ammo being resonably available?
Sure:
What ever is making the magic field is also raising the electromagnetic noise floor or has a electromagnetic absorption effect. Both would cut down on the max range of radio devices.

You could also have RF equipment over a threshold power level draw unwanted attention from "something" making it "usable" but dangerous.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Akicita

Quote:
I have a friend who I think has Y2K, so I'll check that out. I'm not sure what Pyramid 3/3 is.
Pyramid is a gaming magazine published by SJGames. It has had three incarnations, the current one being in pdf format, sold through e23. The notation 3/3 means the third incarnation, third issue. Check the preview on e23 and it should be fairly obvious whether it will be useful for you.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

AIRSHIPS!

Whether retrotech, steampunk, dieselpunk, or scavenge-tech, you MUST have AIRSHIPS! The only thing cooler than an airship is an airship with a lightsaber!

Remember - AIRSHIPS!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #8
redpikemen

I would suggest reading (or at least skimming) the book "The World Without Us" by Alan Weisman. The book takes a speculative look at what the world might be like if humanity suddenly vanished - it could provide some good source material and answer some questions for you. (I know it has for me.)

I would think heavily about the nature of magic and what forces allow for its existence; if Earth is a low mana world, it would make magic much rarer and more difficult to use - limiting spells like Repair. It might be interesting to think about how Elves have adapted magic to Earth - the Radiation and Machine colleges might have come into being after some magical experimentation. I'm assuming that the Elves on their homeworld did not have modern day tech - they might have found it very interesting, if not useful. Elven cities might stand as technological strongholds against the orcish hordes out in the wasteland.

You could consider the racial dynamic, also - humans probably greatly resent the Elves, even if they act as protectors and teachers of magic. After all, they are the reason that Earth was destroyed and Orcs are on the planet. How do the Elves view humanity? Are they trying to protect humanity to atone for their mistake, or do they view humans as puppets to combat the orcs? Do they pretend to be benevolent protectors to get the humans to go along with their plans, or do they truly have the best intentions? Unless they are very enlightened as a species, it will be difficult for them to relate to humans who have such a short life span comparatively.
redpikemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:11 AM   #9
redpikemen

- What would the effects be of using black powder rounds in surviving modern weapons?

I'm pretty sure the effects on the weapon would not be good. Totally different mechanisms for firing, and completely different calibers.

Black powder guns use a soft lead - which is why they get the large piercing bonus; the lead is so soft it expands when it strikes bone in the body, creating a much larger hole than most modern guns, which do not use soft lead.

Also, black powder weapons use flintlock or "cap and ball" firing mechanisms rather than the firing pin used in modern weapons. I would think that a modern gun would have to be modified quite a bit for it to fire black powder shot, and even that would be risky. But, I'm by no means an expert on this.

If you wanted to go the black powder weapon route, I would have them be some kind of primitive "Pipe Rifle" or something to that effect.
redpikemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
AIRSHIPS!

Whether retrotech, steampunk, dieselpunk, or scavenge-tech, you MUST have AIRSHIPS! The only thing cooler than an airship is an airship with a lightsaber!

Remember - AIRSHIPS!
Seconded! There would be TL4 tech spells and varrious enchantments (well used weather spells especially) that would aid in making Airships more fully functional. Given the fuel efficiency of Airships, they'd be highly desireable in a world where fuel would be rare and costly.

Two other technologies that would be good for adventurers. First radio, compared to other comunication technologies, easy to maintain, power, and use. Reporters for radio shows, groups of young adventurers contracted to set up relay stations, technicials sent to teach allies how to build and use radios, all these folks would need to travel in a world where travel was rare and dangerous.

The other technology that would be useful would be the Movies!!! Making films at a late 1930's technological level would fit your setting. Steal from KING KONG and have the party going out to make adventure films, of their real and dangerous adventures! "Honey could you fight that dragon again? The camera wasn't in focus."

In our real world, bands of gypsies in the Amazon had roving tent show movie theaters. A band of PCs could be associated with a small tent show movie theater as tech crew and guards. You'd probably have a warm-up act or two as well.

Again, each of these would have your PCs travelling when others don't.

One thing to concider, populations would have been forced to migrate after the disaster. Without modern tech and water supplies, much of the Southwest simply can't sustain large populations. Where did they go?

Railroads (TL5) will be a bone of contention. Humans will want to rebuild them, Orcs will want to steal the metal tracks, and Elves might have mixed feelings about spiderwebs of cold iron crossing the land. Anyway it's drama.

Any help?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote