Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #441
Kalzazz

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Usually you can't just declare something as permanent
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #442
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Usually you can't just declare something as permanent
Well, you can't really un-reincarnate... the effect is "as long as this reincarnation die" so any suggestions?
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #443
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
Well, you can't really un-reincarnate... the effect is "as long as this reincarnation die" so any suggestions?
RPM doesn't do permanent - all spells require a Duration. In this case, it would simply mean that anytime you die within the Duration, you are reincarnated.

Your ritual also needs some more energy outside of Duration. Most importantly, it needs Altered Traits: Unkillable 2 or 3 with Reincarnation. Unless this ritual is meant for use on small races, you'll also want to bump Subject Weight to the typical 300 lb for affecting humans.

You probably don't need all of those Paths. Path of Magic is completely unnecessary, and I'm not entirely certain on Path of Crossroads or Path of Mind. Path of Body is probably necessary to add in, however.

As for the ruby mask, that would make for a great focus for Traditional Trappings. I'd use the Decanic Trappings (RPM36) guidelines. A simple ruby mask would probably be good for 5 DP (expensive and reusable), provided you properly justify it. One made from extremely special ruby may be able to justify up to 10 DP - enough to drop the cost of the spell by 10%. If the mask can only be used for this spell, being permanently bound to it, that would count as Consumable and double the DP.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #444
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
RPM doesn't do permanent - all spells require a Duration. In this case, it would simply mean that anytime you die within the Duration, you are reincarnated.
Basically, you can cast this spell, die in 25 years and it's work. Is there anything like "Cosmic +300%" for RPM if i must tweak the rule?

Quote:
Your ritual also needs some more energy outside of Duration. Most importantly, it needs Altered Traits: Unkillable 2 or 3 with Reincarnation. Unless this ritual is meant for use on small races, you'll also want to bump Subject Weight to the typical 300 lb for affecting humans.
I saw the effect and not the casting, seeing a 16 years old kid at 100lbs but you're right. Should push for the casting and not effect so 300lbs is right.

For Altered Traits, Unkillable 2 Reincarnated for 120?

Then it's become Greater Transform Crossroad (8) + Greater Strengthen Spirit (5) + Greater Restore Mind (5) + Greater Restore Magic (5) + Subject Weight, 300lbs (3) + Altered Traits, Unkillable 2 Reincarnated (120) = 146 (x9) = 1314 energy ?

Quote:
You probably don't need all of those Paths. Path of Magic is completely unnecessary, and I'm not entirely certain on Path of Crossroads or Path of Mind. Path of Body is probably necessary to add in, however.
I took Path of Magic for keeping the Magery advantage. Path of Crossroads for "shutting of" the gate of the deadworld and then, the spirit stick to Material world, forcing him to reincarnate. Path of Mind for the Mind remember all the abilities and skills for the last incarnation.

But if Altered Traits Unkillable 2 Reincarnated do all the trick, maybe all thoses paths are useless...

Quote:
As for the ruby mask, that would make for a great focus for Traditional Trappings. I'd use the Decanic Trappings (RPM36) guidelines. A simple ruby mask would probably be good for 5 DP (expensive and reusable), provided you properly justify it. One made from extremely special ruby may be able to justify up to 10 DP - enough to drop the cost of the spell by 10%. If the mask can only be used for this spell, being permanently bound to it, that would count as Consumable and double the DP.
Thanks for the advices on that. I'll add this to the ritual.

Last edited by korbeau; 07-15-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #445
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Basically, you can cast this spell, die in 25 years and it's work. Is there anything like "Cosmic +300%" for RPM if i must tweak the rule?
The rules for Conditional Termination (GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic, p. 18) might be of some use here. What I personally do is use GURPS Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys (p. 12) when I have to create permanent effects, with a cost equal to 1 character point per 25 energy or the actual cost of a permanently granted trait. But you have to be careful or it can easily get out of hand.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #446
Varyon

Quote:
Persistent Rebirth
Having given it some thought, I think you should be able to get away with only a Greater Transform Spirit (to bind it to the material realm) and Lesser Restore Mind (to recover and reintegrate your memories at 16). Subject Weight isn't needed.

The Altered Traits granted would be Unkillable 3 (Mortal -20%; Reincarnation -20%; Gadget: Unique and Breakable, DR 30, Cannot Be Repaired, SM -5 -50%) [30]. Let's call the trait Mask Reincarnation as a shorthand. Mortal means that you don't have the benefits of Unkillable 1 (that is, ignoring death checks until you hit -10xHP). So long as your mask doesn't get broken, you'll reincarnate every time you die. Any old mask gives no reduction in cost. A typical red (symbolizing the fires of rebirth, I assume) mask is worth 5 DP, an expensive one decorated with rubies is worth 10 DP, and one carved out of a single, massive ruby is worth 20 DP. If the mask is destroyed, the ritual ends, regardless of how much Duration is left. At the GM's option, you may actually set the Duration as "Until this mask is no more," with the GM setting the energy cost to do so. Somewhere around 1000 years may be appropriate, so let's set it there.

Greater Transform Spirit (5) + Lesser Restore Mind (4) + Altered Traits: Mask Reincarnation (30) + Duration, 1 millennium (50). 267 energy (89x3).

With a typical mask, this is indeed 267 energy. A red one gives a 5% reduction, for 254 energy. An expensive red one gives a 10% reduction, for 241 energy. The crazy single-gem one gives a 20% reduction, for 214 energy.

An alternative, as your character will be regaining the ability to cast at age 16, is to make the spell last only 100 years, which will drop the initial cost to 237 energy. The character will want to renew it (by gathering the 120 energy represented by the Duration) each time he reaches the age of 16, and probably again at 50 and 75 (and 100, if he reaches it), just to be safe - it'll last another 100 years each time he renews it. This does mean if his foes manage to successfully kill him before the age of 16 around 7 times in a row, he'll stay dead, mask or no mask.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #447
Christopher R. Rice

Is this reincarnation spell going to be relevant to the game? That is, if someone dies under the effects of the spell are you going to fast-forward the game however many years and start with their new incarnation? Because that looks pricy as hell for an effect that you'll never get to see in game.

Regardless, this seems like a one-off effect to me: "If character dies he will reincarnate." I'd call that a Greater Transform Spirit effect (maybe Crossroads) and be done with it. No need to bring Altered Traits into it at all.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #448
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Is this reincarnation spell going to be relevant to the game?
The death of a PC is never a light event so being able to return (and even more, keeping your abilities) is a truly major event.

I tought about a 100-years limit too, if I can't find a permanent effect but I like the idea of Impulse Buys idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Regardless, this seems like a one-off effect to me: "If character dies he will reincarnate."?
Well, he recover all memory and abilities at his 16th birthday. I think it's require more than Greater Transform Spirit. As for reincarnation said "but you wake up in an entirely new body with new abilities."

If I resume:
1) Don't cross the deadworld and stick into material world when caster die
2) Return into a new body
3) At age 16, recover all memory and abilities
4) Need a ruby mask
Old 07-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #449
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
The death of a PC is never a light event so being able to return (and even more, keeping your abilities) is a truly major event.
What I tried to say (and failed obviously) was are you going to speed up the entire game so that the newly dead/now alive PC is back in the game in his new body? If so, then sure, it's a major part of the game. If not, and the PC must make another character then it's minor flavor text.

Quote:
I tought about a 100-years limit too, if I can't find a permanent effect but I like the idea of Impulse Buys idea.
This REALLY seems like a one-use Reawakened to me. Slap on Costs Character Points and you have a 1-point ability. It's one-use because you only get one body/reincarnation instead of several (which requires a spell) and costs character points is obvious. If it were me, I'd charge a single character point and say that they can come back. There. Problem solved.

Quote:
Well, he recover all memory and abilities at his 16th birthday. I think it's require more than Greater Transform Spirit. As for reincarnation said "but you wake up in an entirely new body with new abilities."

If I resume:
1) Don't cross the deadworld and stick into material world when caster die
2) Return into a new body
3) At age 16, recover all memory and abilities
4) Need a ruby mask
Well, I said Crossroads, but meant Chance - apologies. Transform Chance can do all kinds of weird things and it seems like reincarnation might be one of them. Still, a case can be made for Spirit. If you're dead set on a ruby mask, you can use Decanic Points (as has been suggested) or you could just say that the mask needs to be worth at least 10% of the setting's average wealth (it's Trading Points for Money, but in reverse).

Become a Patron!
Old 07-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #450
korbeau

So far as we work it;

Persistent Rebirth
Spell Effects: Greater Transform + Greater Restore
Inherent Modifiers: Sealed (1CP)
Greater Effects: 2 (x5)

Transform Chance can rewrite a Destiny, one of the cinematic effect is the born of a Twin, that's sure a good path to use.

I remove the Create Body because the Destiny rewritten is "reincarnate" but I keep Restore Mind for the recovering memory and abilities at 16 yard old. Not sure if Magery can be restore with it... let's assume yes for now.

Sealed in time with trigger "when caster die" costing 1CP

Typical Casting: Greater Transform Chance (8) + Greater Restore Mind (4) = 12 x5 = 60 energy -20%DP from ruby mask.
Total Cost 48 energy + 1CP

Sure it less than the 217 original cost... too less for this kind of ritual?

Last edited by korbeau; 07-15-2015 at 02:55 PM.

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology