Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
dgswensen

Default [Magic] Question about Boost Attribute

Hey GURPS fans,

I'm having a discussion with one of my players about the Boost Attribute spell (M37).

The rules of the spell read that you can boost an attribute long enough for "one die roll or short action," ready action, defense, etc. The spell is listed as both Regular and Blocking.

The player's interpretation of this rule is that Boost Attribute is cast in the same round as the action being boosted; i.e. character swings a sword, then casts Boost ST while swinging to increase damage.

My interpretation of the rule is that the spell must be cast normally, i.e. a concentrate maneuver for 1s, then the boosted action on the following turn. It can be cast as "blocking" only defensively.

It seemed straightforward to me from the way the spell was worded, but now I'm not so sure. Thoughts?
Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: [Magic] Question about Boost Attribute

I agree with your interpretation over theirs.

The only magic spell which approaches a "free action" without the use of things like Delay is Recover Energy, which is just a weird little spell.

When cast as a blocking spell, the obvious uses are to Boost the defenders DX to improve their Parry/Block/Dodge/resistance to disarm whatever, or to Boost their HT to improve their dodge or HT roll to resist petrification, that sort of idea. Or Will to try and intercept the Vampire's mind control, and so forth.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgswensen View Post
Hey GURPS fans,

I'm having a discussion with one of my players about the Boost Attribute spell (M37).

The rules of the spell read that you can boost an attribute long enough for "one die roll or short action," ready action, defense, etc. The spell is listed as both Regular and Blocking.

The player's interpretation of this rule is that Boost Attribute is cast in the same round as the action being boosted; i.e. character swings a sword, then casts Boost ST while swinging to increase damage.

My interpretation of the rule is that the spell must be cast normally, i.e. a concentrate maneuver for 1s, then the boosted action on the following turn. It can be cast as "blocking" only defensively.

It seemed straightforward to me from the way the spell was worded, but now I'm not so sure. Thoughts?
its a spell, unless they have compartmental mind advantage so they can take a concentrate maneuver and an attack maneuver they can't use it and attack or attack and use it. the reason, I assume, it states both regular and blocking is because you can cast it on any turn, even other people turns, instead of just your own. and it can only be used in response to an attack like the iron arm spell (which I still think is really powerful, having it at level 15 means you got a parry of 15! though it cost 1 FP).

in short: if you want to cast it on your turn take a concentrate. remember it last for 1 action, so doing boost ST and then attacking on your next turn is vaild. boosting DX and then dodging is valid too, that might give you +1 or 2 to your dodge but you may have wanted it for move :D

that was not short >.<
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
dgswensen

Thanks for the responses, guys. That rationale makes sense. I had forgotten about Delay.

Tags
magic