Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: Brewing?, "Distilling"? i GURPS 4/e as a Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1979 View Post
...or you can use chemistry like in breaking bad.
Distilling alcohol (as in, increasing the purity of your ethanol) can totally be done off Chemistry. The paletability may be dubious, but as long as you get it up to the vodka levels or higher I suspect people are far more tolerant of quirky "moonshine".

Brewing is more a microbiology experiment... but it's really just a dark art if you're relying on wild yeasts.

Ooo, then there's the exotics. I remember a story about a pharmacology company investigating tea "mushroom" (Kambucha) and rejecting it in disgust because it's actually an ecosystem, not a life form.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:34 AM   #12
smurf
Banned

i have brewed with a kit a few times which is relatively easy. But without it then trying to mix the recipies and find the yeasts would be fairly difficult.

Distilling I would imagine to be a bit more tricky. Also having a still is essential and not blowing it up is the worry.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #13
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
i have brewed with a kit a few times which is relatively easy. But without it then trying to mix the recipies and find the yeasts would be fairly difficult.

Distilling I would imagine to be a bit more tricky. Also having a still is essential and not blowing it up is the worry.
Not a skill based concern, but depending on the setting there may be legality concerns as well. Many municipalities prefer to be able to tax all alcohol and don't take kindly to home distilling, and even more rarely to home brewing. That's messed up and for the record I support anyone that actively ignores and violates those laws, but it is a consideration.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #14
Anders

I know people on the net who would have Sense Of Duty (Mash) [-2]. Some people get really intense about their beer.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
I know people on the net who would have Sense Of Duty (Mash) [-2].
For all mash in the world, even that created by other people, or big industrial brewers? If it's just their own, maybe it's more of a Dependent.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
For all mash in the world, even that created by other people, or big industrial brewers? If it's just their own, maybe it's more of a Dependent.
Dependent "mother", just not the expected definition. ;)
Old 08-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #17
Moebius

I keep thinking about Twilight 2000 in reference with this skill.
Moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #18
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Not a skill based concern, but depending on the setting there may be legality concerns as well. Many municipalities prefer to be able to tax all alcohol and don't take kindly to home distilling, and even more rarely to home brewing.
I'd say "polities" not "municipalities" there.

In the UK, all the laws on this are national; while local authorities have responsibility for administering the licensing of places that sell alcohol, they aren't the slightest bit interested in home brewers, who can make as much as they like provided they don't sell it without paying the taxes. Distilling is illegal without a license, but that's mostly because it's dangerous unless you know what you're doing - methanol is bad for you.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #19
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Distilling is illegal without a license, but that's mostly because it's dangerous unless you know what you're doing - methanol is bad for you.
Distilling facility accidents can also lead to explosions, hurrah for alcohol vapours. There's also more prosaic fire hazards and just general smell issues, both of which municipal governments tend to take very very seriously, and have since shortly after towns were invented, I suspect. Nobody wants their hut burned down, and nobody wants to live next to someone smelly.

As far as basement stills go, I suspect the licensing issue is at least as concerned with these issues as end product quality.

Brewing doesn't escape the smell issue either, of course, and for both it's as much a matter of scale as anything.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #20
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Brewing?, "Distilling"? in GURPS 4/e as a Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
Help Me fellow GURPS-sters!

I thought I KNEW the system - but have now come up 'blank' or empty on something a player has requested.

Is there a 'Brewing' skill ? or some version of Distilling or 'making a still' skill in GURPS 4/e ?
GURPS 4th Edition made the choice of going with what one might call Type Skills, instead of a wide selection of specific names skills as in 3rd Edition.

At least this was done for science skills, where there's one formal game-mechanical Science Type skill and then a list of specific science skills from which characers can learn one or more, e.g. Chemistry, Physics, Genetics, so that the exact list of skills available to some extemt relies upon the world builder's forethought-based decision, or a GM ad hoc decision.

It's possibly something similar has been done with Crafts skills.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skills, star trek