Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
Ragabash Moon

Default Theology Specialization: Comparative?

So, what do you guys think about "Comparative" as a Theology specialty? I have a character that is agnostic, however she's very much into religion. Her parents didn't raise her in any particular religion, so she's explored MANY religions. Ideally might be just not specializing but since Theology requires a specialization, would Comparative be a valid one, in that she knows about most religions fairly equally but not completely, therefore her "penalty" would be when you ask her about any specific denomination beyond broad generalizations like "Christian" 'witchcraft' etc, maybe? So like ask her about Christians in general? She knows. Ask her how Lutherans differ from Southern Baptists... um. not 100% sure on that one, she gets the penalty.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
B9anders

Default Re: Theology Specialization: Comparative?

I'd be fine with it. Friend of mine studies comparative religion but mostly focused on Abrahamism. She knows Buddhism well enough to have the broad strokes fairly well ironed out, but on any finer points she'll ask me for advice.

If you want someone who can answer on finer details of many religions, I'd suggest a comparative speciality - Comparative ontology, or miracle study, etc.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
I'd be fine with it. Friend of mine studies comparative religion but mostly focused on Abrahamism. She knows Buddhism well enough to have the broad strokes fairly well ironed out, but on any finer points she'll ask me for advice.

If you want someone who can answer on finer details of many religions, I'd suggest a comparative specialty - Comparative ontology, or miracle study, etc.
Ok, cool thanks. Yeah her concept is that she's agnostic because she asks... Are the Christians right? Are the Buddhists right? What about the Wiccans? She's terrified of being wrong and going to whatever divine punishment might exist... even worse if they are all wrong, there is nothing after death but ceasing to exist... that actually scares her MORE than the thought of "Hell"

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I'm not sure whether you're asking "for this character" or "in general," but if it's the latter, note that Theology (Comparative) is a canonical specialty, so it's definitely fine. See the second paragraph of the skill write-up on p. B226.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I'm not sure whether you're asking "for this character" or "in general," but if it's the latter, note that Theology (Comparative) is a canonical specialty, so it's definitely fine. See the second paragraph of the skill write-up on p. B226.

OH I never noticed that (or did, but forgot) so then she'd have a -5 to her skill then most of the time, but that's still better than the default?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
jason taylor

Sounds fine. If her primary interest is research rather then personal Anthropology would be an alternative but either would work.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post

OH I never noticed that (or did, but forgot) so then she'd have a -5 to her skill then most of the time, but that's still better than the default?
Given that a pet peeve of actual theologians dedicated to particular faiths is that the academic, comparative types lack both faith and nuance, that seems about right.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Given that a pet peeve of actual theologians dedicated to particular faiths is that the academic, comparative types lack both faith and nuance, that seems about right.
Really? My pet peeve is that the process often tends to be mishandled by people who laudibly eager to bring about coexistence, but flout the law of non-contradiction in doing so and are unwilling to see that if their means of bringing about said coexistence succeeds they will not have reconciled religions but just created a new one. And that the best "coexistence" is just living with each other.

However I think it is possible that an actual religious person might do comparative theology better then an agnostic simply because of an easier emotional understanding.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Faolyn

Wouldn't this be a type of Expert Skill?
Faolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

No, I'd say its comparative theology, as you are actually studying the doctrines and beliefs of the various faiths. Comparative theology lets you know about an incredible breath of material, whereas Theology specialties are normally very difficult to go between.

I have a weird view point as a member of a faith whose doctrines are not well understood by the public. I've had hillarious conversations with pastors who thought they knew what we believed and were surprised at how wrong they were.

so yeah, definitely comparative.

Last edited by ericthered; 07-23-2012 at 08:53 PM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skills