Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #51
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: St-based skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
If you're somehow parrying a giant's blows despite being vastly weaker than it, it only seems appropriate that it be able to knock your weapon way out of line.

It's pretty likely in that case that the giant's weapon will be too heavy to even allow you to parry.
I believe some fencers on this forum have mentioned that a parry is not simply blocking with a weapon, but also getting out of the way in small ways that don't qualify as a gurps dodge.

Also, there already is a rule about not being able to parry weapons greater than some percentage of basic lift increased for two weapon parries.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #52
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I believe some fencers on this forum have mentioned that a parry is not simply blocking with a weapon, but also getting out of the way in small ways that don't qualify as a gurps dodge.
Anyone saying that a weapon parry doesn't require actually using your weapon is ignoring a great deal of the system. You may be getting out of the way, but if that's the only thing you're doing, that's a dodge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Also, there already is a rule about not being able to parry weapons greater than some percentage of basic lift increased for two weapon parries.
Did I suggest that this was something that the rules didn't already cover?
Old 07-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #53
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Anyone saying that a weapon parry doesn't require actually using your weapon is ignoring a great deal of the system. You may be getting out of the way, but if that's the only thing you're doing, that's a dodge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Grappling

Dodge
"A successful dodge means an attack failed to connect at all. Dodging is the only way to create a “clean” miss without contact . . ."

Parry
"You may parry a grapple using any Melee Weapon or unarmed skill. A successful parry allows the defender to avoid the effects of the attack, but involves some contact."
While this could certainly be read to be descriptive of grappling ONLY, I suspect the broader reading is appropriate.

While you can do a "hands-free" technical parry vs. a grappling attack (Martial Arts, p. 122), these parries are only currently allowed in that limited case.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #54
Captain Joy

Forced Entry says: "Add a similar bonus (+1 or +2) to ST rolls made for Forced Entry." [B196] By default, Forced Entry is based off DX; but even by RAW it is assumed that there are situations were a ST based roll will be more appropriate.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #55
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalsora811 View Post
Are there any ST-based skills in RAW? If no, why not?
There are a number of ST-based techniques, and a number of circumstances or perks that let other skills/techniques substitute ST for specific uses.

IMO, this is always a bad idea. IMO, there should be a fundamental rule of "Thou shalt not roll against ST."

If ST->lift was an exponential function, I could probably be talked into there being some legitimate exceptions. As it is, most things that a rolled against ST should be rolled against something else, with modifiers for the ratio of BL to some reference value, possibly allowing an extra effort roll to increase BL for the purpose of finding the modifier.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #56
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:

Did I suggest that this was something that the rules didn't already cover?
That's why I said that it's only part of it. Otherwise I don't see how a person could even attempt to parry objects as large as gurps allows.

It seemed like you were implying it as a new idea.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #57
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely View Post
IMO, this is always a bad idea. IMO, there should be a fundamental rule of "Thou shalt not roll against ST."

As it is, most things that a rolled against ST should be rolled against something else, with modifiers for the ratio of BL to some reference value, possibly allowing an extra effort roll to increase BL for the purpose of finding the modifier.
As I've noted, Technical Grappling goes this route for one application; extending it might be a nice Pyramid article. Hmmm.

No mistake, though, like most expansions, TG is optional, not core.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #58
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Forced Entry says: "Add a similar bonus (+1 or +2) to ST rolls made for Forced Entry." [B196] By default, Forced Entry is based off DX; but even by RAW it is assumed that there are situations were a ST based roll will be more appropriate.
Not as ST-based roll, an ST roll.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skills, strength