Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #41
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: St-based skills

Having enormous strength for a given mass should realistically increase jumping and climbing. But you only get what you pay for in Gurps.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #42
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Also, on the idea of factoring SM into ST skill rolls. Wouldn't it make more sense to use HP instead in light of this? It seems to me that SM does not necessarily mean the thing weighs more. Just that it's larger.
Yep. For example a Diriglbe or hot air balloon is quite large but does not have more HP then many other things smaller then it.
This is why GURPS separates Sm, Mass, ST and movement as there are a lot of things that can go differently based on type of construction then just using those values.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #43
Azrael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Having enormous strength for a given mass should realistically increase jumping and climbing. But you only get what you pay for in Gurps.
I guess I'm just wondering how much extra jump would be required. Maybe the "Different Gravity" rules from the Basic Set could be used? I'm not sure on the exact calculations that would be required. The basic idea is to compare what you should weigh vs what you do weigh. This could use expected weight (HP) based on ST vs actual weight (number of HP contributing to weight). Other factors such as build would also contribute of course. Use this information to calculate a G score to plug into the Gravity Rules for Jumping.

Getting back the original topic. I think the concept of weight could be of use for the ST-based skills idea. There should be a bonus/penalty based on how much you weigh vs what you should weigh. At least when it comes to supporting your own body weight. With an ST-based Climbing roll for example.

edit: or maybe the roll should be based on this ratio somehow. its more about how much you weigh relative to weight than strength alone. 10 could represent expected weight for a certain strength.

Last edited by Azrael; 07-09-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #44
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I know that technical grappling is coming out, but I think ST should get more consideration in grappling, and particuarly in the western wrestling sport skill. I have a freind who weighs 150, was reguarly in the top of his weight class in state tournaments (which is not a hard as it sounds, there's a lot of weight classes), and is currently in the military. I have a brother who knows nothing about wrestling but weighs 250 pounds (and he's not fat). Every few years we talk them into wrestling. If nothing is illegal my brother has to quickly tap out. If playing by high school wrestling rules, the wrestler never gets pinned, but gets thrown about every four or five seconds.

Strength makes a huge difference in "civilized" wrestling.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #45
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Rule of 20 would stop that, but yeah - a single point would give a humongous skill.
Okay, I should've actually used a non-Default ST-based skill in 3e. Was Lifting one?
(I'm GMing what is essentially TL6+3 X-Files, I haven't used blatant monsters or biggy giants for quite a while, so I don't remember those rules too well.)
Old 07-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #46
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
With enough strong grip type perks, you might have to tear the limbs out of their sockets before they let go. Some insects are like that.
And some cybershells (while we're discussing Generic Universal), like the one in Ghost in the Shell (Google GitS Tank Battle - might be considered mildly NSFW in USA and the Middle East).
Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 AM   #47
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
And some cybershells (while we're discussing Generic Universal), like the one in Ghost in the Shell (Google GitS Tank Battle - might be considered mildly NSFW in USA and the Middle East).
I consider Motoko's display in that scene a classic example of Unsupported Strength (Bio-Tech pg 215), perhaps with a perk that lets her keep using (and damaging) a "crippled" limb to the point of dismemberment. Her unsupported ST may be a side-effect of her choice to stick with the more agile "female" cybershell rather than a stockier but more durable "male" model (as discussed during the TV series).

Also, if anyone deserves to benefit from Bulletproof Nudity, it would be the Major. =P
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #48
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I know that technical grappling is coming out, but I think ST should get more consideration in grappling, and particuarly in the western wrestling sport skill. I have a freind who weighs 150, was reguarly in the top of his weight class in state tournaments (which is not a hard as it sounds, there's a lot of weight classes), and is currently in the military. I have a brother who knows nothing about wrestling but weighs 250 pounds (and he's not fat). Every few years we talk them into wrestling. If nothing is illegal my brother has to quickly tap out. If playing by high school wrestling rules, the wrestler never gets pinned, but gets thrown about every four or five seconds.

Strength makes a huge difference in "civilized" wrestling.
ST and weight get a lot more love in Technical Grappling.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #49
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalsora811 View Post
Are there any ST-based skills in RAW? If no, why not?
No, there are not. And there are unlikely to ever be any. While they are not strictly forbidden, they are highly discouraged, because ST has a vastly different "typical range" than any of the other attributes.

For most playable races, DX, IQ, and HT will vary from about 6-20, but with the vast majority of races falling in the 8-16 range. ST, on the other hand, literally ranges from 1-50 just for realistic applications, and when you introduce sci-fi or super elements into it, the range jumps to 0-100, or 0-1,000, or even more!

ST doesn't mesh well to a standard bell curve. That's why we avoid ST-based skills and turned many ST-based rolls into HT-based ones in Fourth Edition. Note that ST rolls and "floated" ST-based skill rolls certainly haven't gone away -- and shouldn't! There are some applications for which it just makes sense that a sentient mosquito would simply fail, while a sentient whale would succeed without effort. But anything representing general trained capacity (that is, basic usage of a skill) tends to work better with the bell-curve-friendly attributes of DX, IQ, and HT.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #50
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
I had made a giant in my game. Not too much of a giant, strength 27 Sm+3

He can kill PC's in one or two hits...but he has rather average fighting skills. Not likely to hit (though if he does, not a good idea to parry with a weapon, might break)

Then I saw martial arts and the beat down technique where you can base weapon skill of strength in regards to a feint.

There are limitations, the other person has to have parried the previous turn, but it still seems a very easy way for an unskilled giant to demolish someones defence with a feint. Then again if he did demolish the parry score the PC could always dodge or block with a shield of feint with another weapon.
If you're somehow parrying a giant's blows despite being vastly weaker than it, it only seems appropriate that it be able to knock your weapon way out of line.

It's pretty likely in that case that the giant's weapon will be too heavy to even allow you to parry.

Tags
skills, strength