Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: St-based skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalsora811 View Post
But couldn't you make the same argument for any stat? I mean, I know there isn't any one race with ridiculously high DX or anything like that, but still. ANYONE with REALLY high DX would be just like that for pretty much every skill.
You could but it would be bogus. Strength is very cheap for a huge giant and mandatory just so it can move. There's no way to get DX that cheap.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
ErhnamDJ

ST isn't priced as including skill increases. Look at the breakdown:

HP [2]
Lifting ST [3]
Striking ST [5]

You could easily shift some skills to it, but you'd need to raise the price, maybe adding five more points. Actually, one idea I really like is to change the ST-based damage table, which is unrealistic. Adding some skills to ST might be one way to keep the price the same while doing that. If reduced damage means Striking ST is only worth, say, three points, then it might make sense for ST to include some skills if you want it to remain ten points. It might be a little bit overpriced right now.

This is one reason HT is underpriced, at least in comparison to its constituent parts. If you buy up everything that it includes, then they cost more separately than if you buy it as a package.

FP [3]
Basic Speed .25 [5]
+1 to HT rolls and HT skills [?]

Maybe move some stuff to ST. Lifting and Jumping could easily enough be ST skills. Certain sports skills perhaps. I'm sure we could find some others.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
LemmingLord

Quote:
But couldn't you make the same argument for any stat? I mean, I know there isn't any one race with ridiculously high DX or anything like that, but still. ANYONE with REALLY high DX would be just like that for pretty much every skill.
You make a very good point. Monkeys and Cats have high dexterity for example.

I think it is dumb to have stat based skills at all. I would be all for getting rid of attributes completely. Have everything be advantages, disadvantages and skills with skills being based on 10+tallent. In that style, strength would be an advantage... and probably not a tallent. :D
Old 07-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
Finalsora811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameman View Post
Imagine some Giant with ST 100, now take a random VH skill. His default skill level will be 93. Kinda broken in my opinion.
But sometimes it would be realistic. For example, if Jumping was based on strength. Wouldn't it be realistic for a huge giant to be able to jump super far?
Finalsora811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
gjc8

Quote:
But sometimes it would be realistic. For example, if Jumping was based on strength. Wouldn't it be realistic for a huge giant to be able to jump super far?
Actually, no. To a first approximation, jumping distance is independent of size for a given anatomy. As it gets larger, it gets both stronger and heavier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
By high, you mean 15 or 16, maybe. Not 80 or 100. The variation in DX (racial and otherwise) is much less than the variation in ST.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
trooper6

Quote:
Not necessarily. I don't think elephants can jump really far. And there are lots of insects that can jump really, really far, but have very low ST.

Anyhow DX and ST aren't comparable. DX costs 20cp a level. ST costs 10cp a level but you also get a discount on ST costs if you are over SM0. So...
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #17
Finalsora811

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc8 View Post
Actually, no. To a first approximation, jumping distance is independent of size for a given anatomy. As it gets larger, it gets both stronger and heavier.
O that's true. Ok that was a bad example. But you get my point, right?
Finalsora811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post

I think it is dumb to have stat based skills at all. I would be all for getting rid of attributes completely. Have everything be advantages, disadvantages and skills with skills being based on 10+tallent. In that style, strength would be an advantage... and probably not a tallent. :D
Cats may on average have better dexterity than humans. But not that much higher than athletic humans. Small cats have the square cube law on their sides, and big cats have high burst strength to weight ratios.

Talents for single skills only are real and would make your idea useless.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
You could but it would be bogus. Strength is very cheap for a huge giant and mandatory just so it can move. There's no way to get DX that cheap.
Not quite. All it takes to move is strength zero. But that creature would drop like a brick if you put a penny on its head.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc8 View Post
As long as air resistance is ignored, especially for the really small. Fleas are incredibly amazing jumpers, far more when you think of their incredible surface to mass ratio.

Tags
skills, strength