Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
Phoenix42

Default Songs for The Big Guy...

Mainz Players Do Not Read This... Yes Cassanos, This Means You... ^^

Okay, what I've been missing in the "songs for Superiors" thread is music to play for those rare moments when Lucifer enters the game. For the background I am planning:

We are playing Gurps: In Nomine and our Mercurian of Destiny has the Disadvantage "Weirdness Magnet". I've had some weird stuff happen to her usually slightly hell-bent, like meeting Joseph Mengele (whom she helped escape - ouch, dissonance...) and having all the copies of Mein Kampf delivered to her house by grateful citizens who were "so glad that she was doing this for them".

Now we've entered the fifties, I wanted to screw with her mind a little more and have Lucifer turn up at her house with a few Superiors and Word-Bound demons for a poker session. My idea is that once in a decade, he just selects the domicile of a random celestial (operative word: random) and they sit down at the table and have their game, playing for Forces, naturally. If the proprietor of the house should return home, Lucifer is polite enough (the others remain in the background, continuing the game), and invites the celestial to join in. Obviously, any celestial with half a mind would be crazy to accept, since it involves staking five of his/her own Forces. If they don't accept, Lucifer just asks them to serve drinks or the like, and stay out of it. If they behave, he might consider granting a wish, should they become unruly or otherwise annoying, well...

The question is: what music to play in that situation, and others, as Lucifer's theme?

Last edited by Phoenix42; 08-19-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: missed an important sentence
Phoenix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Dalillama

Default Re: Songs for The Big Guy...

Sympathy for the devil?
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
robkelk
Untitled

I can think of two songs about the Prince of Darkness gambling:

The Devil Went Down to Georgia, by The Charlie Daniels Band

Spanish Train, by Chris de Burgh

(I've asked for more over on Bob Schroeck's forums - there's a sizable group of roleplayers who like music there.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.

Last edited by robkelk; 08-19-2011 at 06:36 PM.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
Phoenix42

I really like Spanish Train for that one - I already considered Devil Went Down to Georgia and Sympathy, I like them for Lucifer in general, but they didn't quite fit for the situation... it's a tricky one. But Spanish Train definitely has potential!

Thanks @Rob for handing on the question to other forums - I'm following the thread, some interesting suggestions so far... the "Testament" theme was surprisingly well-toned! Of course, something with lyrics would be even better; and of course, the absolute level of perfection would be if it were 50s-specific - Jazz, perhaps... but any oldie would generally do - I was considering Johnny Cash, amongst others, but just haven't found the right thing...

EDIT: Another song I've had in mind are Carry on Wayward Son by Kansas (from watching too much Supernatural) - it's a bit too happy/transcendent for this particular setting, though...
Incubus Succubus also has a few nice things, but again, way out of tune for the fifties... :(

Last edited by Phoenix42; 08-19-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Info added
Phoenix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Attercap

It's a 60's song, but Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels' "Devil With a Blue Dress On" could make for a fun Weirdness Magnet hook

Or, for even kookier oddities, steal from Terri Gibb's 1981 hit, "Somebody's Knockin'."

Last edited by Attercap; 08-22-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Couldn't let Terri be forgotten!
Attercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Omegonthesane

E Nomine named a song after the guy, if that helps.
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lucifer, music, pop culture, setting, theme