Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-20-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
banditangel

Default Maps of Heaven and Hell

Are there illustrated maps of those two domains somewhere (in book or online)? Sadly the search function considers "map" too common for me to search for it and see if it's been posted, and Google didn't turn up anything relevant.
banditangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Maps of Heaven and Hell

None that I've seen in any official publication. That said, if someone has created one, I'd love to see it, too.

(Of course, maps are complicated by the fact that distance, scale and even position in the celestial realm can be a very conceptual thing. In Heaven, things tend to arrange themselves so that it's easy to get around, while in Hell, you can pass the same flaming rock 17 times while supposedly walking in a straight line....)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditangel View Post
Are there illustrated maps of those two domains somewhere (in book or online)?
There's the classic one from the Divine Comedy (vol.1, Inferno):
http://media.wiley.com/lit_note_images/77/1.jpg
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
There's the classic one from the Divine Comedy (vol.1, Inferno):
http://media.wiley.com/lit_note_images/77/1.jpg
That's kind of what I was thinking, though IN: Heaven and Hell actually gets into some detail about actual geographic relations between Hell's principalities. For instance, Hades (IIRC) surrounds all of Hell as a ring, and there's a semi-guarded hole blown through between Vapula's area and ... Stygia, I think? (EDIT: Actually, probably Perdition...) Would be neat to see these sorts of things recorded visually, even if with the caveat that areas are not to scale, not necessarily representative of reality, and not guaranteed to help you navigate without getting rendered into your component Forces.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
William

Several sources suggest that Heaven is laid out very similarly to Jerusalem and its surroundings, albeit on a much larger, probably growing scale.

Ignoring that completely, I drew up some maps of Heaven here. "Grounds" is ground level, "Deeps" is below, "Heights" is places well above, and "EternalCity" is a zoom map.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
Jason

Nice layout. I wonder if it seems awkward to Litheroy that his abbey is on the mirror-image side of the Cathedral of Light? I guess if it were, he wouldn't hesitate to say so. Actually, he'd probably think it oddly appropriate...
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Actually, he'd probably think it oddly appropriate...
Agreed. I think Litheroy could be seen as Lucifer as he might have been, shining light into dark places and making all manner of things clear.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Ignoring that completely, I drew up some maps of Heaven here. "Grounds" is ground level, "Deeps" is below, "Heights" is places well above, and "EternalCity" is a zoom map.
"Auditorium"? I always thought the Grigori Archangel's Catherdral was a Tower of Song...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
quarkstomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warehouse View Post
Feel free to change them as you see fit, too.
Especially as in some interpretations Hell has a non-Euclidian geometry
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
ISNorden

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
"Auditorium"? I always thought the Grigori Archangel's Catherdral was a Tower of Song...
In my own campaign, the Cathedral of Music is "the Divine Conservatory"; Israfel took over the site after Uriel soul-killed the old Archangel of Song. You can probably guess how she feels about that... :(

To get back on topic...with so many heretical Superiors in my game, the maps of Heaven and Hell are somewhat different. For example:
  • Amaré, the new Archangel of Love, has built a fairy-tale palace on the site of Andrealphus' old Cathedral.
  • Belial's old Volcano remains dormant and unoccupied, since no current Archangel in my campaign holds the Word of Fire. Some of the more militant Archangels use the place as a training field to simulate combat in Sheol.
  • Gabriel, in the meantime, lives in the Spire of Proclamation--a tower in the walls of the Eternal City, crowned by a star-like globe of radiance. ("Thy Word is a light unto my feet, and a lamp unto my path...")
  • Raphael, the Archangel of Healing, runs a state-of-the-art Hospital for angels in Trauma (and souls who need help getting used to their celestial bodies).
  • Azrael, the Archangel of Death, maintains the Fields of the Lord--a peaceful, churchyard-like area for newly collected souls; it also contains memorials to soul-killed and Fallen comrades in the Host.
  • Raziel, the Archangel of Mysteries, rules over a labyrinth-like Cathedral with his audience-room at the center. Only one door into his domain is obvious to outsiders--and that one leads from Litheroy's Abbey.
  • Uriel's Castle of Purity is occupied again, after God authorized his return to the Lower Heavens in the 18th century CE. It is the final checkpoint for those souls who have served a sentence in Purgatory, as opposed to being admitted to Heaven directly.
  • Oannes still occupies his Grotto as described in canon, since his fight with Belial wasn't fatal in this campaign.

Meanwhile, in Hell...
  • Ghayyour, the Habbalite Prince of Fanaticism, has built a small imitation of the Eternal City in his domain--with the ironically named Palace of Righteousness at its center. Most of Ghayyour's city is divided into wards defined by creed, where various fanatical souls gather and fight any "infidels" who happen to intrude.
  • Ghogiel, the Balseraph Prince of the Occult, rules from the House of Hidden Lore. Besides his throne room (at the center of a black-domed rotunda), Ghogiel's House contains hundreds of ritual rooms, storehouses, and prison cells specialized to hold various magical beings. Thanks to his "friend" (and former master) Kronos, Ghogiel has collected an occult library on every sorcerous tradition known to the Symphony.
  • Rahab, the Shedite Prince of the Seas, has taken over Vephar's former Principality--which otherwise remains as it was in canon.

Tags
setting