Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-17-2011, 04:30 AM   #41
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Missing Prereq on Speed-Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Except the sub-vocalization is a key element in memory retention. Hence why speed readers often do worse on comprehension tests because the often forget the details more often
For audially-dominated people (in terms of language, that is). Which is not everybody.

I suspect that for people who were visually-dominated in terms of language comprehension since childhood, this isn't that much of an issue.

Finally, I suspect that trying to get in information too fast is another reason for poorer retention. It's not like a fast lecture is all that easy to remember either.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:34 AM   #42
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
For audially-dominated people (in terms of language, that is). Which is not everybody.
No while dominate style help, but the really key is Multi exposure (three being recommended), and Reading + Sub-vocalization counts as two expostulation, where as the speed reading without it is only one exposure.

While single exposure in you dominate is better than non dominate, but is inferior to double exposure.

Last edited by roguebfl; 09-17-2011 at 04:44 AM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #43
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I'm a bit surprised about this. Do you mean that there are people who can read with ordinary fluency in their native language who don't do this? Who must put the sounds together from the letters, not just for strange words, but for most words?
I don't know how common it is, but I'd imagine for many of the "Since leaving school, I haven't read anything more complex than the lunch menu" crowd, this is true. Importantly, one's reading speed (in English, anyway) is limited to about 120 WPM until this barrier is broken.

Probably also important to note is that I took this class when I was 13, where sub-vocalization is more common. Ending it was a basic, beginning step.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #44
Icelander

As far as I know, speed reading depends on being able to read well enough so that it is not necessary to vocalise sounds while doing so. I can speed-read in Icelandic and English, but I can't do so in Danish, Latin, German, Spanish or French. If I need to concentrate to read a text at all, I can't speed-read it.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:58 AM   #45
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
As far as I know, speed reading depends on being able to read well enough so that it is not necessary to vocalise sounds while doing so. I can speed-read in Icelandic and English, but I can't do so in Danish, Latin, German, Spanish or French. If I need to concentrate to read a text at all, I can't speed-read it.
I suspect you're conflating two different factors here. One is whether your brain processing actually performs vocalization routines. Other is whether your processing goes on as a conscious skill or a non-conscious one.

I'm not a neuro-scientist of any sort, so I'd better be careful with trying to make a more specific explanation.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #46
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Kromm’s post (and my reply to nerdvana) doesn't have to do with a RW definition of speed-reading, but how it works in the game.
Kromm's post also directly contradicts, rather than clarifies, the description in the book. Short of an errata that replaces "read" with "memorize the shape of symbols independent of comprehension" in the description of Speed Reading, it doesn't make sense to have Speed-Reading without Literacy, since Speed-Reading, as described in the Basic Set, does nothing except affect the speed at which you read, and without Literacy, you can't read, period.

And its not just the use of the word "read" and "reading" in virtually every sentence of the description of Speed-Reading that supports this, its also the fact that Speed-Reading is explicitly listed as taking the Language modifiers on p.24, which includes the modifier of "you are completely incapable of functioning in the language" for a a comprehension level of "None", and Illiteracy is just a comprehension level of "None" for for written language.

Last edited by cmdicely; 09-19-2011 at 09:19 AM.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #47
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely View Post
Kromm's post also directly contradicts, rather than clarifies, the description in the book. Short of an errata that replaces "read" with "memorize the shape of symbols independent of comprehension" in the description of Speed Reading, it doesn't make sense to have Speed-Reading without Literacy, since Speed-Reading, as described in the Basic Set, does nothing except affect the speed at which you read, and without Literacy, you can't read, period.

And its not just the use of the word "read" and "reading" in virtually every sentence of the description of Speed-Reading that supports this, its also the fact that Speed-Reading is explicitly listed as taking the Language modifiers on p.24, which includes the modifier of "you are completely incapable of functioning in the language" for a a comprehension level of "None", and Illiteracy is just a comprehension level of "None" for for written language.
Nice description of my stance. (Sorry for the delay in the reply but I had unsubscribed and was away from the forums for a while at the end of the year last year.)
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a, skills