Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #31
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [UT, HT, Basic] Explosive rounds & damage "blow-through"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Does the first line apply explosive damage to people in the area and does it count as an internal explosion given that it penetrates the target?
I think this should clear up the first. The way they're actually written up seems to communicate the exact opposite, but there it is. My understanding of that post is that the line with the armor divisor applies only to the vehicle and its occupants, and the other line is the effect on everyone else.

The second seems perfectly clear to me. The explosive is at no point inside the vehicle, so how could it possibly constitute an internal explosion?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #32
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I think this should clear up the first. The way they're actually written up seems to communicate the exact opposite, but there it is.

The second seems perfectly clear to me. The explosive is at no point inside the vehicle, so how could it possibly constitute an internal explosion?
"The reason is that the damage doesn't just poke a hole in the vehicle. It blows up everybody inside." That says to me that as far as the machine is concerned it was just hit with an internal explosion.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #33
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
"The reason is that the damage doesn't just poke a hole in the vehicle. It blows up everybody inside." That says to me that as far as the machine is concerned it was just hit with an internal explosion.
Can't see why. The explosive is not inside the vehicle. The explosion extends to inside the vehicle.

Addendum on the linked attacks: this word of Kromm makes the separation of effects of the two attacks definite. (I would be tempted to allow the vehicle to be hit by fragmentation, though. Won't usually matter, since the HEAT jet under GURPS rules will tend to disintegrate any soft targets rather than leaving a hole in them.)
Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #34
The_Ryujin

@Both of the Kromm links: Ok, that makes sense though maybe HEAT should be it's own damage type to avoid confusion. I would also still throw on an incendiary modifier to the primary effect since these things are known to ignite ammo and fuel.

@lexington: Basically the penetrating part of the explosive is a contact explosion for the vehicle and a normal explosion for whatever is inside it. While the linked explosion is for whatever is around the stuck vehicle. It's confusing given the terminology but that is how it works in RAW.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #35
lexington

That makes a reasonable amount of sense. Thanks, both.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #36
Rupert

Quote:
Does the first line apply explosive damage to people in the area and does it count as an internal explosion given that it penetrates the target?
Why would it? Even if you treat it the same as a normal explosion it would only do maximum damage for being in contact (box, B415), but that rule is clearly for people lying over an explosion, absorbing almost all its force, so we stick with the normal rule (B414).

The first part is an oversight, to be sure - when HT moved to a separate AoE and primary damage roll there was no explanation added. However, the application of some common sense provides a clear answer - you don't, because then you'd be rolling two set of damage against bystanders, and doing more damage to them than an equivalently sized HE charge.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #37
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
@Both of the Kromm links: Ok, that makes sense though maybe HEAT should be it's own damage type to avoid confusion. I would also still throw on an incendiary modifier to the primary effect since these things are known to ignite ammo and fuel.
Explosions are assumed to be incendiary (B414).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #38
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Explosions are assumed to be incendiary (B414).
Derp, oh yeah. Had a brain fart there heh

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
he ammo, piercing, sci-fi, shotgun, space