Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #41
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: What level of Psionics/Magic do you like in your Sci-Fi Campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nondescript handle View Post
I know that goes against the current 'party modeled after a SEAL team' doctrine, but I prefer it that way.
What, this? Lately, both the game I play in and the game I GM does not have 'SEAL teams' of PCs.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #42
nondescript handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
What, this? [...]
OT: Yes. My RPG style is basically the polar opposite of Kromm's "I have no patience for "lovable loser," "hero despite himself," or "distant loner" roles."
nondescript handle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #43
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
It is my understanding that you don't run one-shots with randoms in order to introduce them to the idea of roleplaying and the various genres, that instead you have a pool of candidates that you draw on to populate your table for a given game. Am I wrong in this?

Some of us do.
Then you should follow the approach that suits your needs. I'm not suggesting for a moment that everyone is obliged to share my tastes or my methods.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #44
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Then you should follow the approach that suits your needs. I'm not suggesting for a moment that everyone is obliged to share my tastes or my methods.
My apologies. I wasn't trying to suggest that you were. It is very much not a one-size-fits-all situation.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #45
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Stick with telepathy and the traditional psychic seeing into the past and the future. The violation of conservation of energy is less blatant.
The violation of causality inherent in seeing the future is IMO a lot harder to accept that a few piddling violations of the laws of physics.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #46
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nondescript handle View Post
In RPG SciFi settings with blatant superscience, I prefer said superscience to be the product of rare but powerful psi plus psychotronics.

FTL, ansibles, deflection shields, reactionless drives and the like break scientific believability anyway, and with the 'rare psi' handwave I open the stage for flawed and weird PCs to be accepted actors:
"Yes, he's a lecherous, drunken coward, but with him in the gestalt a dreadnought can jump 20 parsecs!"
"Yes, she is a moody 15 y/o and has an unhealthy obsession with boybands, but with her in the gestalt a Space Patrol cruiser has almost unbreakable deflector shields!"

I know that goes against the current 'party modeled after a SEAL team' doctrine, but I prefer it that way.
That approach can work for any rare inborn gifts, not just psionic gifts. It works less well in systems that fail to discern between that which can be learned and that which can't, though. And by "system" I include the "mental models" used by authors who write novels.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #47
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Stick with telepathy and the traditional psychic seeing into the past and the future. The violation of conservation of energy is less blatant.
But you smash headlong into issues of causality and 'action at a distance'.

Psi can be used in a hard SF scenario quite readily, but it has implications about how the universe works that a hardish setting has to account for.

(A softish one can just ignore them.)
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #48
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
The violation of causality inherent in seeing the future is IMO a lot harder to accept that a few piddling violations of the laws of physics.

Hans
Telepathy alone doesn't do to causality what FTL doesn't. Whether ESP breaks causality depends on whether the Now contains information required to vaguely predict the Later.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #49
Flyndaran
Untagged

At least telepathy can be handwaved easily with mild techno-babble electromagnetic communication without having too many unintended implications.
Some of my issue with creating semi-plausible psychic power is where the energy comes from. The entire body, let alone our tiny brains, can't pump out the power required to do much at a distance even if there was a way to get the energy out there.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #50
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

When I GM Sci-Fi I usually allow psionics in situations where it makes sense.

Alien societies, medical experiments, genetic enhancements, psychotronics, etc..

For standard humans, I usually allow no more than power 10 in any given area, and I assume theres some sort of static that being around lots of people generate, that makes using the powers in urban centers almost impossible unless you are on the end of the curve.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rpg theory, sci-fi