Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-30-2014, 01:56 AM   #1
neomahakala108

Default High-Tech, Ultra-Tech.

interrested in buying High-Tech & Ultra-Tech as a source of ideas for Science ;)

Perhaps Psionics & Magics too as i am interrested in Parapsychology & Occult.

are they still available?

is it worth?
neomahakala108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:25 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: High-Tech, Ultra-Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomahakala108 View Post
interrested in buying High-Tech & Ultra-Tech as a source of ideas for Science ;)
These are gadget book. There's practically no fluff, but if you're interested in gadgets, go ahead. Just be aware that if you don't know GURPS you will get very little from these books.

Quote:
Again, these are rulebooks. Thaumatology contains some "real-life" occult information about astrological correspondences and decans, but you can probably get that more easily from someone else.

These are rule books. You might as well try to learn about the real estate market by playing Monopoly. You could try to hunt down Isaac Bonewits Authentic Thaumaturgy if you want some information on how to incorporate real-life occult beliefs in a game.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
Captain Joy

Quote:

is it worth?
Hey, neomahakala108, welcome to the GURPS forums.

You can check here to see what books are available and in what form. I believe everything you asked about is available digitally, I'm not so sure about physical copies. (Note that if it says "e23", it really means "Warehouse 23", as e23 was replaced by Warehouse 23 a few months ago.)

If you're running games that include those elements you asked about, then they are definitely worth it. If your interest is more to learn some cool science stuff, I would recommend GURPS Bio-Tech.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 07-30-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
GodBeastX

Quote:

is it worth?

High-Tech offers working statistics and examples of late to modern technologies. There are extended rules and considerations of Basic Set rules, such as hiking/camping, more explosion rules, and more.

Ultra-Tech has some fluff and talk of science, goes into information on computers, robotics, future entertainment, vehicles, weapons, armor and such.

In general both books help you model statistics for your own ideas. Consider them "Here's how computers might work, here's how cars might work, here's how chain saws might work, here's how a food replicator might work" etcetera, but it won't give world examples.

Magic is pretty much an extension of the Basic Set magic information with more spells, more enchantments, a few mild variation rules, more alchemy rules, etc. Thaumatology will get you bigger bang for your buck if you are looking for "I want to create my own metaphysical magic system" but some things out of Thaumatology require magic book if you want to complete the set.

As for Psionics, I'm actually not familiar with a "Psionics" book. There is the Psionic Powers book which gives tons of working examples of taking the Powers book and creating very balanced power sets for psionics.

There's also a Psis book, but I havn't dug into that book much.

If you're looking for a book on modeling occult worlds and magical realms, Fantasy is about that. It's a "World Building" book, sort of like Space is for building planets and aliens.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
As for Psionics, I'm actually not familiar with a "Psionics" book. There is the Psionic Powers book which gives tons of working examples of taking the Powers book and creating very balanced power sets for psionics.
Maybe he's talking about 3e? There's a 3e Psionics.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
PK

Quote:
You'll find some verbiage about science in both books, sure. If you mean "science" as "progress toward future technology," I think you'll appreciate the first chapter of GURPS Ultra-Tech.

Quote:
For parapsychology, your best bet is GURPS Psionic Campaigns, the book that goes into detail on the metaphysics behind psi, the implications of psi, etc. For occultism, you'll find your best options in GURPS Thaumatology, but there are other juicy tidbits in GURPS Fantasy and GURPS Horror. I wouldn't recommend GURPS Magic for "occultism," as it's basically a list of fantasy-wizard-type spells, with little theory.

Quote:
GURPS Psionic Campaigns is only available as a PDF (which is why I linked it). The others you may be able to find in your local game store as physical books; if not, visit http://www.warehouse23.com/ for options to buy directly from us.

Quote:
is it worth?
I definitely think all of the books mentioned above are worth it, but I'm admittedly biased.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:30 AM   #7
ColBosch

Do not, I say again, do not pay secondary-market prices on High-Tech, Ultra-Tech, or Thaumatology. If you can find them for cover price, great, but online they are often overpriced by book speculators, right into the stratosphere.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote