Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
Nils_Lindeberg
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default Re: Clerics made simple

Thanks for the clarification Zot.

So if there will be any changes in the normal TFT rules, it will be a light errata/clarification to the existing minimalistic talents, but no more. And probably not even that. :-(

I would have liked to se something along the lines of my light weight, low word count and inoffensive change in the official RAW and then something like your Toolkit for an optional rule or article in the Companion. :-(
Nils_Lindeberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:17 AM   #12
zot
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default Re: Clerics made simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils_Lindeberg View Post
Thanks for the clarification Zot.

So if there will be any changes in the normal TFT rules, it will be a light errata/clarification to the existing minimalistic talents, but no more. And probably not even that. :-(

I would have liked to se something along the lines of my light weight, low word count and inoffensive change in the official RAW and then something like your Toolkit for an optional rule or article in the Companion. :-(
Since Guy's article, "Beyond Warriors and Wizards: The Clerical Character", is a simple priest toolkit, this gives me hope that my system, now that it's a priest toolkit, will be acceptable. :-D
zot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:14 AM   #13
Tywyll
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default Re: Clerics made simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Since Guy's article, "Beyond Warriors and Wizards: The Clerical Character", is a simple priest toolkit, this gives me hope that my system, now that it's a priest toolkit, will be acceptable. :-D
Where is that article?
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:16 AM   #14
Tywyll
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default Re: Clerics made simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Yes, Steve and I had a long conversation about my Theurgy system and this is the statement he ended up making:
I have to say, I strongly disagree with Steve's reasoning here. The vast majority of games and gamers use 'Fantasy' religions and no one has ever complained of 'short changing' real ones.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:25 AM   #15
zot
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default Re: Clerics made simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
Where is that article?
Here it is -- finally found it!
zot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #16
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: Clerics made simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
I have to say, I strongly disagree with Steve's reasoning here. The vast majority of games and gamers use 'Fantasy' religions and no one has ever complained of 'short changing' real ones.
Since you wrote "no one", I'll just mention that I quite agree with Steve's reasoning, have always appreciated and enjoyed that TFT left religion as a blank that GMs can either fill in or not however they please, and that there are zero mechanics suggesting religious is any particular sort of magic power.

As for fantasy religions in other games, they're a case by case affair, but I have a deep aversion towards D&D-style religions with official Alignments, literal personified gods, "clerics" that heal, religious rites that are really just an alternate book of magic zap-power spells, etc.

There's also the whole view (which seems correct to me) that thinking of religion as literal beings and magic spells for personal power is severely missing the mark of what the actual intention of most religious traditions are about.

I have quite enjoyed religions in various homebrew TFT & GURPS fantasy settings, but I think leaving them open to GM creation, mystery, or omission, is a good thing.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #17
larsdangly
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: Clerics made simple

I enjoy the ambiguity of TFT's approach to religion.

I've created sets of house rules for performing sacraments and miracles, but I also think you can do lots of interesting things with such characters using RAW, where they are either heroes who known a spell or two or wizards with the Priest talent. I have a character like this at the moment. He's an old christian orthodox priest ('Father Pyat') who is also a master physicker and knows two powerful spells of protection. Completely useless as an offensive combatant, but he doesn't view murder as an important goal for a person of his vocation.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #18
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: Clerics made simple

Yes, I've also seen very interesting and fun "clerical" & religious characters who have zero magical nor healing nor "blessing" abilities at all.

If the official rules said religious people get standard sorts of abilities, that'd tend to lock in a mechanical assumption.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #19
larsdangly
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: Clerics made simple

Exactly; what if you want your priest of Thor to be able to throw lightning bolts as a manifestation of the god's power? In TFT this is trivially easy to write up, whereas in most other games with nominally more developed systems of religious magic you might struggle to find just the right class, or it would come with a bunch of baggage that you didn't intend for your character.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #20
RobW
 
RobW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default Re: Clerics made simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Completely useless as an offensive combatant, but he doesn't view murder as an important goal for a person of his vocation.
Ah this makes me laugh.

Every once in awhile, I realise that our group of PCs have serious, SERIOUS issues.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.