Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
Dwarf99

Default Convert Spell to Power

I like to convert as many as possible spells into powers, and I was wondering if there was a way that any one of you might have for converting "reverse missiles" to a Power
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:53 AM   #2
The Benj

Default Re: Convert Spell to Power

This has come up several times before. The most pertinent threads are:

Here

and here
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Humabout

People love making this into a power! Wow. Since it seems pretty well covered (Great idea, Molokh. Pricy, but the power itself is pretty, um, powerful - especially against a dude with an AK-47 spraying bullets at you), I'm going to hijack it so we can discuss other spells and spell-like stuff.

I'm working on some conversions, and, while I do realize that this cannot be done with 100% accuracy, I do still need some help with some general stuff:

Zombification Ability: I'm thinking Afflict (Shapechanging: Zombie Template; Permanant) but this brings up the question of how many points a corpse has.

Dispelling effect that grants temporary bonus HP depending on how many FP/ER of spells are dispelled: I'm guessing some form of neutralize, but I can't figure out what enhancements and limitations to apply. I figure HP with a maximum duration will be involved.

Chain Lightning

Your eye crawls out of your head and scouts for youInjury Tolerance with Independant Bodyparts? Summon Ally (crawling eye) + One Eye? I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Zombification Ability: I'm thinking Afflict (Shapechanging: Zombie Template; Permanant) but this brings up the question of how many points a corpse has.
The ability to create zombies is really just Ally, or Ally Group, with Summonable and likely Minion. If you need a dead body, add an Accessibility. Otherwise, the zombies could be assumed to crawl from the ground, or something.

Quote:
Chain Lightning
Increased RoF? Whether the bolts jump from your fingertip, or from the first target to the next, is just cosmetics.

Quote:
Your eye crawls out of your head and scouts for youInjury Tolerance with Independant Bodyparts? Summon Ally (crawling eye) + One Eye? I'm not sure.
If the effect is nothing but a flying scout which makes you one-eyed, then by all means buy this thing as Ally, TD: One Eye, with Telesend (and Video).

Keeping in mind that you only stat the effect, not the description, makes this sort of thing much easier.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
David Johnston2

Zombies under your control are Allies. Possibly Minions. Summonable with Accessibility if you can quickly raise one any time you have a corpse handy.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Ally (Crawling Eye, Summonable, Minion +0%, Temporary Disadvantage: One Eye) + Mind Link (Crawling Eye Ally)
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg View Post
Increased RoF? Whether the bolts jump from your fingertip, or from the first target to the next, is just cosmetics.
The mechanics of RoF don't cover Chain Lightning well at all.

What you want is Selective Area Effect.

[EDIT] To clarify, RoF allows you to hit a single target multiple times depending on success. It doesn't reliably allow you to target multiple targets. Area Effect with Selective Effect allows you to target as many people as you want in your area, once each.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
zorg
Experimental Subject

You're right, that's a better idea. I was thinking about Suppressive Fire, but Selective Area Effect is much cleaner.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Humabout

Thanks guys, and thanks, zorg, for the tip. That'll help out a lot, since this is really my first time delving deep into building abilities. (I've always used gurps for the realism aspect more than can-build-anything aspect.)

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
aesir23

One more thing just occurred to me:

If you have Powers, it has rules for charging FP per level or per dice of damage; very useful for stating spells affordibly. It's in the description of Costs Fatigue from that book.