Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
cal89

Default Invisible Wall/Cheat Combo

Hi All,

Was playing Muchkin last night with friends, 5 of us were on level 9 so it was getting fairly tense. I was facing a level 14 Stoned Golem and another player played an Invisible Wall with a Cheat Card.

First we had a discussion on if the use of the cheat card was appropriate, which we determined was fine. Then we discussed whether or not I would have to run away from the monster or if I could continue to fight.

I argued that I should be allowed to keep fighting (which would have allowed me to reach level 10 and win). I said that since the card says that it 'allows automatic escape' it gives me an option to escape if I want to, which is the intended use of the card.

The other players argues that because it 'allowed automatic escape' I was forced to run away from the monster an loot the room, thus allowing the next player to knock down a door.

So, fellow Munchkin players, we could not find any rules that help this situation. Can anyone give me any solid information on exactly what was suppose to happen?
cal89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Invisible Wall/Cheat Combo

Did you mean Instant Wall? I can't find a card called Invisible Wall...

If that is the card you meant, you are correct that Instant Wall does not force you to lose the battle. It can be played when you are Running Away to allow automatic escape from the monsters, but you need to declare defeat before this can happen. It shouldn't be played during the combat.

Now, there are a few other issues with some of your points... First, it is illegal to play that card with Cheat!. What was the purpose of your discussion as to why it was needed? Any player can normally play that card, provided somebody is about to Run Away and Cheat! only allows you to carry and use an Item that you are unable to use for some reason, not to play one-shot cards.

Finally, an automatic escape does not let you Loot the Room. It just means you don't roll the die to see if you Run Away or get caught by the monster. If you see a monster when Kicking Open the Door, you won't be able to Loot the Room, regardless of whether you win and kill the monsters, lose and Run Away successfully, or lose and get caught by one or more monsters.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
Jadefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
If you see a monster when Kicking Open the Door, you won't be able to Loot the Room, regardless of whether you win and kill the monsters, lose and Run Away successfully, or lose and get caught by one or more monsters.
Unless combat ends because of Friendship Potion or some other effect that explicitly states that you still get to loot the room.
Jadefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefire View Post
Unless combat ends because of Friendship Potion or some other effect that explicitly states that you still get to loot the room.
It is always the case that if a card says something different, follow the card.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheat, invisible wall