Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [LT] Two Armor questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcumber View Post
Here are a few ideas I had on the subject of incorporating blunt trauma and edge protection. There are flaws but I have done a little play-testing and I think the concept could be developed.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=75990
No disrespect to your concept, but this isn't how I'll be going about it. I'll be using force, lever arm, impact area, and sharpness kind of stuff, the same way I used KE and MV and cross section to do guns and bows.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
Qcumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
No disrespect to your concept, but this isn't how I'll be going about it. I'll be using force, lever arm, impact area, and sharpness kind of stuff, the same way I used KE and MV and cross section to do guns and bows.
Ah. I see. I'll be interested to see the outcome.
Qcumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:22 AM   #13
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Warhammers, picks and maces were the primary weapons used for centuries to defeat armor, it's not about Munchkin gamers choosing to use a warhammer or a mace, it's about the warhammer and the mace being the weapon they should have realistically been using to begin with.
Oh I know that professionals, people who want to and know how to defeat heavy armour uses maces. These were a fairly common weapon among knights who knew how tough their own armour was. Perhaps to a lesser degree warhammers, but still used among professionals.
The thing I was warning aginst is to have every goon and his grandmother use picks, because this is the only thing that'll pierce armour. Picks should be cheap and easy to make, unlike swords. And they even look like tools (a bit, come on...) so they might not be as restricted as swords in most settings.

We play a 'Song of Ice and Fire' campaign, with most characters being nobles and knights. Even if just in their heavy mail, using the Edge protection rules from LT means most blades merely give blunt trauma. And once the heavy knights put their heavy plate on top of that...
It does help a bit once we realized that Edge Protection shouldn't apply to Impaling as well. But even those strong knights realize than even a light mail will foil most of their sword cuts. Now, maybe they'll start using axes and maces at some point.

BTW we play with some house rules being a mish-mash of stuff I found on this forum. At first we used T-Bones Edge Protection, but since LT came out we switched to that Edge Protection system. Also we use some version of a thing I believe Icelander came up with and posted, where the dameg types are annoted with a "+" or "-" depending on their penetrating capabilities. A sword is just Cut, but an axe is Cut+. A club or round mace is Cr but a flanged mace is Cr+ etc. And all armour types have some modifications, so those weapons ding some form of "+" damage type has better odds at penetrating certain armour types, because DR is reduced vs. those attacks. It may sound complex, but it really runs well.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #14
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcumber View Post
Ah. I see. I'll be interested to see the outcome.
Ditto. But when?
Old 06-29-2011, 01:49 AM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
The thing I was warning aginst is to have every goon and his grandmother use picks, because this is the only thing that'll pierce armour. Picks should be cheap and easy to make, unlike swords. And they even look like tools (a bit, come on...) so they might not be as restricted as swords in most settings.
Realistically picks would be relatively difficult to use as weapons; it's a lot easier to hit at a bad angle.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #16
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Realistically picks would be relatively difficult to use as weapons; it's a lot easier to hit at a bad angle.
Harder than an axe then?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:41 AM   #17
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Anthony - I would like to see some proof of that.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
DanHoward

With a digging pick it is certainly hard to hit properly but something like a bec de corbin is much smaller and lighter.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #19
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Oh I know that professionals, people who want to and know how to defeat heavy armour uses maces. These were a fairly common weapon among knights who knew how tough their own armour was. Perhaps to a lesser degree warhammers, but still used among professionals.
One handed warhammers, things like the "martel-de-fer" mentioned in Low Tech, were just about as common as maces, especially since they were effectively a mace on one side.

Something along these lines:
http://www.myarmoury.com/review_aa_wham.html
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #20
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
With a digging pick it is certainly hard to hit properly but something like a bec de corbin is much smaller and lighter.
Sure, that would help, but in the end, a proper strike with an impaling weapon requires your blow to come in quite close to normal to the surface, otherwise it's highly prone to turning, particularly against armor with a smooth, hard surface. Blades have the same limitation, but only have to be normal to the surface in one dimension (rather than two) and have a larger sweet spot with which it's acceptable to hit the target. For crushing weapons, a round staff is easier than a round ball which is easier than a hammer head.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edge protection, low-tech