Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #21
Dinadon

Default Re: [Low-Tech]What are the stats for Light Leather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
If we ever came up with an Abrasion damage type, I'd totally give light leather DR 1 against it, too.
What, like a really slow corrosion like effect?
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #22
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
Abrasion needn't be slow. Your typical abrasion injury comes from hitting a (not too smooth) surface at moderate speed and sliding along it. From a skinned knee to tumbling along the ground after falling off a motorcycle.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #23
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
Abrasion has a fair amount in common with both cutting and with corrosion. It's often found paired, in the real world, with crushing.

Like corrosion, it tends to be a large area damage with a shallow depth. Unlike corrosion, and like cutting, it leads to very severe bleeding and fluid loss immediately - it can in fact lead to worse bleeding than a non-arterial cutting wound.

Like corrosion, it's a big problem to heal up from severe abrasion but unlike corrosion there's never continuing damage once you're removed from the source - you don't have to neutralize the pavement on your shins after being thrown off your skateboard.

It's worse than corrosion for chance of infection because you almost always have bits of abrading material embedded in the wound, but unlike cutting you don't cut off bloodflow to the area or parts of the limb further away from the core, so healing is easier.

It's much harder to cause temporary or lasting crippling with abrasion, but if do you manage to cripple a limb with abrasion its probably totally screwed - scraping the muscles right off the bone is basically impossible to recover from.

Unlike corrosion the damage to materials depends more on relative hardness of surfaces than on specific material composition - this means that most armors are very good at protecting against abrasion, even if they're flexible and transmit crushing easily. But armor made from layered soft material, like layered cloth armor or felted/padded cloth armor would be at best ablative - softer than gravel means they'd get shredded off your body when you go skidding across it. Hard plastic or mail would get scratched up and might have some links bent by the occasional larger rock but they'd be largely undamaged. Plate would look nasty but basically laugh it off.

It's related to crushing by circumstance - most cases of abrasion "in the wild" involve crushing as well - but you could always use that belt sander on someone.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #24
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
It's related to crushing by circumstance - most cases of abrasion "in the wild" involve crushing as well - but you could always use that belt sander on someone.
Or drag them along the ground behind an animal or vehicle. That would be predominantly abrasion, and is a bit more likely to happen than belt-sander assault.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachmyr View Post
It's been discussed in a number of threads (including this one)... a good extrapolation using the erata'd rules is $30 & 3 pounds for Light Leather (DR1 vs. Cut only).
Isn't it really simpler than that? A character starts with a free outfit (and settled characters get a reasonable number of changes of clothes as part of the 80% rule). Just say, "My character is wearing a Leather Doublet with attached sleeves, a leather cap, leather hose, and gloves." Done. No need to worry about weight (beyond normal clothing) or cost or anything.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #26
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Abrasion needn't be slow. Your typical abrasion injury comes from hitting a (not too smooth) surface at moderate speed and sliding along it. From a skinned knee to tumbling along the ground after falling off a motorcycle.
Yes, but enough time with a sander tends to make things disappear, like corrosion. It wouldn't necessarily be the main damage that's slow.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #27
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Or drag them along the ground behind an animal or vehicle. That would be predominantly abrasion, and is a bit more likely to happen than belt-sander assault.
I'm terrified of the belt-sander, does it show?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #28
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
I'm terrified of the belt-sander, does it show?
Got my finger caught in a disc sander once. Not my best day.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #29
Opellulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
A motorbike jacket is completely different. Low-Tech would classify that as medium leather.
I don't know much about low-tech but i got a lot of personal experience about falling from bikes with a leather motorcicle suit.

IMHO a lot of legends speculate around leather race suits: they're fancy, stylish, adherent (so aerodinamic) but they're made for protecting you against a very specific type of "damage": the leather protects you against asphalt abrasion and limb bendings but against the direct hits you must rely only on the strategically located plastic protections: without them a leather suit is no more protective than a Fonz jacket.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #30
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opellulo View Post
without them a leather suit is no more protective than a Fonz jacket.
Which Low-Tech would classify as medium leather. The plastic inserts would give additional DR at those locations.

Last edited by DanHoward; 02-02-2011 at 02:04 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, low-tech