Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
Jonas

Default [LT] Question about the optional hit locations

I was reading through my copy of Low-Tech due to writing up armor for my next game, and happened to notice the optional the optional rule on page 102. Specifically the one splitting the Torso hit location into Chest and Abdomen, which strikes me as more realistic but does leave me asking for some clarification as to how this interacts with the 'stock' hit location chart or its expanded version in MA. I'm fairly sure I'm reading it right, but would rather take a moment and ask a potentially silly question to make sure before going to my players with a false assumption.
  • Does it replace the standard groin location or merely join it?
  • Am I reading the text right that its only slightly harder to hit then the default torso?
----
Per ardua ad astra "Through hard-work to the stars."
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Ultraviolet

Default Re: [LT] Question about the optional hit locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
I was reading through my copy of Low-Tech due to writing up armor for my next game, and happened to notice the optional the optional rule on page 102. Specifically the one splitting the Torso hit location into Chest and Abdomen, which strikes me as more realistic but does leave me asking for some clarification as to how this interacts with the 'stock' hit location chart or its expanded version in MA. I'm fairly sure I'm reading it right, but would rather take a moment and ask a potentially silly question to make sure before going to my players with a false assumption.
  • Does it replace the standard groin location or merely join it?
  • Am I reading the text right that its only slightly harder to hit then the default torso?
As I see it, Torso is split into Chest and Abdomen - this in addition to Groin. I believe it has soemthing to do with the problems with making a rigid armour that covers entire torso, usually it's only chest for mobility purposes, the abdomen needs somethign at least a little flexible.

IMHO it really sounds like the Groin is a tieeny, tiny location - but it is still covered by rolling '11' on 3d. This is the same propability as '9' for Chest (if Torso '9-10' is split evenly into Chest & Abdomen)
The way we play it, is that 9 is Chest, 10 Stomach and 11 is called Pelvis, which covers the lower abdomen and hips as well as the "Glockenspiel" for want of a more politically corrent word for this very tender part of the male anatomy. Almost all locations on the 3d have an adidtional 1d 'advanced roll' on our tables, where rolling a '1' is bad news. '1' for Chest/Abdomen is Vitals, and 'Groin' for Pelvis (which counts as vitals, but double shock). On Limbs and Extremities it might be things like Joints for Cr dam or Arteries for Imp/Cut/Pi. And so on.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
As I see it, Torso is split into Chest and Abdomen - this in addition to Groin. I believe it has soemthing to do with the problems with making a rigid armour that covers entire torso, usually it's only chest for mobility purposes, the abdomen needs somethign at least a little flexible.

IMHO it really sounds like the Groin is a tieeny, tiny location - but it is still covered by rolling '11' on 3d. This is the same propability as '9' for Chest (if Torso '9-10' is split evenly into Chest & Abdomen)
Torso is not split into Chest and Abdomen.

Use the hit location table from Low Tech, page 100, INSTEAD of the one from the basic set. The new hit locations from Martial Arts are mostly subsets of the existing hit locations and not impacted by the Abdomen/Torso rearrangement, although the optional rule to "accidentally" hit vitals when attacking the torso should be extended to the Abdomen.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Jonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Torso is not split into Chest and Abdomen.

Use the hit location table from Low Tech, page 100, INSTEAD of the one from the basic set. The new hit locations from Martial Arts are mostly subsets of the existing hit locations and not impacted by the Abdomen/Torso rearrangement, although the optional rule to "accidentally" hit vitals when attacking the torso should be extended to the Abdomen.
I see. So its really still the torso location, just subdivided for the sake of more realistic armor coverage?
----
Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
DanHoward

The problem is with the 4e use of Groin. Some rules state that it is the entire lower part of the body (area 11). Others state that it is the small patch between the legs. There is no consistency. Low-Tech sought to clarify matters by renaming GROIN to ABDOMEN (area 11) and removing the actual groin from the random hit location table. Now if you want to randomly hit the groin and apply the special rules for damage in that location you'd have to roll twice just like if you want to hit the elbow or the shin - once for the abdomen and then again to see where in the abdomen. 1 would be the vitals. Perhaps 2-3 could be the groin.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
DanHoward

Quote:
which covers the lower abdomen and hips as well as the "Glockenspiel" for want of a more politically corrent word for this very tender part of the male anatomy.
Heh. I'm going to start using that word. People sound like a glockenspeil when they get hit there :)
Old 01-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Jonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
-snip-
Huh, that would explain why it seemed a bit confusing. I didn't realize they had split the torso into two parts, with the upper portion becoming the Chest and the lower merging with the basic sets Groin to form the Abdomen hit location. Unless I'm still getting it wrong, which is possible.

*Edit*

Wait, so the groins not replaced in terms of a hit location its just removed from the random hit table instead? Maybe its due to the lack of sleep lately but I'm still not entirely getting it.
----

Last edited by Jonas; 01-17-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Heh. I'm going to start using that word. People sound like a glockenspeil when they get hit there :)
Yep, that's a rarely used Danish slang word: "Klokkespil". I just wrote the German variant thinking more people were likely to recognize it. Apparently it worked. But let's not get into a list of slang for that part of the anatomy, it would be endless...

So areas 9-10 are Chest (optionally featuring Vitals on a further roll of 1) and 11 is Abdomen (with the Glockelspiel on a further 1).
Old 01-18-2011, 02:29 AM   #9
DanHoward

Quote:
So areas 9-10 are Chest (optionally featuring Vitals on a further roll of 1) and 11 is Abdomen (with the Glockelspiel on a further 1).
No the vitals would be 1. Just like the Chest. I'm not sure whether the Groin is large enough to be a roll of 2 or 2-3. I'm thinking 2-3.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:36 AM   #10
Anders

Quote:
No the vitals would be 1. Just like the Chest. I'm not sure whether the Groin is large enough to be a roll of 2 or 2-3. I'm thinking 2-3.
Surey that would depend on how well endowed you are?

Tags
hit location, low-tech