Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #71
mortolani

Default Re: The Low Tech You want

I would like to see some changes on siege weapons. On Low Tech 3e they are too powerful. More powerful than some spaceship's lasers. And maybe some rules to try to do some cinematic things like... use a catapult to hit a dragon, a person... to use a human corpse as ammo...

I would like to see all stuff presented on the TV show "Ancient Discoveries" of History Channel. The Macedonian's siege tower would be great! The very first tank, moved by thousands of men... sweet.

I would like to see ancient ships too. At least a trireme.

I don´t want to see Fantasy Tech, magic or TL 5. MAYBE it could describe some rituals made before battle but never more than that. If you want to change book´s name, how about something like "Ancient Tech"?

And sorry my English.
mortolani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #72
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters
I still think that TL0 should have been divided into two when we had the chance...
I agree. The difference between Paleolithic and Neolithic is as big as the difference between TL2 and TL5. Lumping both into one TL is pretty arbitrary. If it was essential to keep "the age of networked small computers" as TL8, then I would have pushed TL3 and TL2 together; it's really hard to see them as different in terms of fundamental technologies. Except for some late-TL3 technologies that are really "early TL4," like the first gunpowder weapons.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #73
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin

Does that mean that the name will remain Low-Tech or something similar with no chance of a name like Fantasy-Tech?
Yes. We said so well over a year ago in these forums.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #74
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Yes. We said so well over a year ago in these forums.
Which doesn't change the fact that the official Forum designation will continue to be GURPS Cabaret Chicks on Ice.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #75
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs
I agree. The difference between Paleolithic and Neolithic is as big as the difference between TL2 and TL5. Lumping both into one TL is pretty arbitrary.
Alternately, you could consider the neolithic part of TL1, bronze isn't really all that important a transition compared to the agriculture and pottery often lumped into the neolithic.

Quote:
If it was essential to keep "the age of networked small computers" as TL8, then I would have pushed TL3 and TL2 together; it's really hard to see them as different in terms of fundamental technologies. Except for some late-TL3 technologies that are really "early TL4," like the first gunpowder weapons.
I'm tempted to call gunpowder a TL5 innovation showing up way too early - conversion of chemical energy to work through combustion after all. It certainly isn't hard to believe Earth's TL is often advanced in a science (weaponry), right in character for humans really. Hm, if you look for the TL breaks ignoring military equipment TL3/4 and 6/7 look a lot more doubtful.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #76
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd
Alternately, you could consider the neolithic part of TL1, bronze isn't really all that important a transition compared to the agriculture and pottery often lumped into the neolithic.
Mmmm. If you allow for some of the advanced stone working techniques, and smelted copper to Early TL1, and perhaps nudge bronze to mid TL 1, that works. Actually, I rather like that. It makes the TL2 horse nomads using well-crafted flint tools only retarded one TL in materials technology (and even then only in one area of materials tech, potentially).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #77
Frost

Quote:
I would certainly buy that idea the TL0/1 boundary has always seemed fairly fuzzy. It does seem make sense to use the transition to agriculture rather than the smelting of metals as the break point.

Quote:
I'm tempted to call gunpowder a TL5 innovation showing up way too early - conversion of chemical energy to work through combustion after all. It certainly isn't hard to believe Earth's TL is often advanced in a science (weaponry), right in character for humans really. Hm, if you look for the TL breaks ignoring military equipment TL3/4 and 6/7 look a lot more doubtful.
I don't think that these changes are really comparable, while the TL3/4 and 6/7 boundaries are some what fuzzy they do represent changes beyond just military technology. Take the improvements Maritime technology at TL4 or the appearance of complex electronics at TL7. Ok so these are gradual changes occurring over decades rather than sudden catastrophic changes and yes they were driven in part be military pressures but the same could be said for TL4/5 and 5/6. The lines are roughly where they ought to be based upon European experience.

As for gunpowder being TL5 this is absurd, while gunpowder devices follow the same broad principles as later combustion engines the actual technology to exploit it is orders of magnitude simpler. You can produce fire lances erruptors and crude rockets and cannon (which might not seem that crude if you try to copy them) with materials and techniques substantially less complex than say a use-full steam engine. The use of crude powder as an incendiary requires even less.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #78
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost
Ok so these are gradual changes occurring over decades rather than sudden catastrophic changes and yes they were driven in part be military pressures but the same could be said for TL4/5 and 5/6.
The 4/5 divide is, I think, one of the more defensible ones. The 18th century sees the spectacularly visible rise of steam power and the less visible but equally important Agricultural Revolution.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #79
Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company
The 4/5 divide is, I think, one of the more defensible ones. The 18th century sees the spectacularly visible rise of steam power and the less visible but equally important Agricultural Revolution.
I didn't say that it was in anyway indefensible. I did however suggest that the changes occurred over an extended period of time and that the precise break point is ultimately rather subjective, which were amongst the arguments being used against the TL3/4 and 6/7 boundaries.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #80
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
But the rules alredy recognize advancements within a TL. If you were going to cut TL0 up like that, it seems even more justifiable to expand the TL list back to 3E levels, or longer... not a good idea, IMO.
Honestly, the difference between early and late Stone Age is pretty much as great as the difference between any two adjacent GURPS TLs you might care to name. Well, TL4 to 5 might have it beat...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech