Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-23-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
Martichoras

Default Character creation: Iconic D&D characters in GURPS

I'm hoping that the forum hivemind can help me create iconic D&D characters, which I hope to use to introduce people to the GURPS system.

To me, iconic D&D means the typical original D&D race-classes, such as

Human warrior
Human magic-user
Human cleric (tricky, I think)
Human thief
Halfling fighter/thief
Dwarven fighter
Elven fighter/magic-user

but feel free to throw in whatever seems iconic or stereotypical to you (although I don't think I will allow anyone to play a lesbian-stripper-ninja).

I'm thinking around 150 points, intended to simulate low-middle level characters.

To me, building the spell-casting capacity to resemble D&D spellcasting is not at all a priority (I would rather use standard GURPS spells with an Energy Reserve).

I want character concepts that people can grasp in a minute - the more stereotypical they are, the better.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
Gadrin

Default Re: Character creation: Iconic D&D characters in GURPS

somewhat related: I was musing the other night about just how powerful a high level (9th+) AD&D1e cleric was, with an almost amazing set of spells even using just the "stock" books. I was thinking about converting one to RIFTS and it boggled the mind on the abilities they had. By 9th level, you're dealing with a demi-god like being.
Gadrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
Atreyu_Hibiki

Almafeta's done a good amount on this already:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...ghlight=Redbox

Hope that helps!
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
Martichoras

Great! Thanks!
Old 06-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Marti,
I already did the FOUR that were in 3rd edition basic - have posted them between Hanuary and now. You know?? Robyn of the Meadows, the other two ...was about to do "Original GURPSTER" Dai Blackthorn mark I ...the version that was NEVER recruited by ISWAT.

- Ed Charlton
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
AOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar
Marti,
I already did the FOUR that were in 3rd edition basic - have posted them between Hanuary and now. You know?? Robyn of the Meadows, the other two ...was about to do "Original GURPSTER" Dai Blackthorn mark I ...the version that was NEVER recruited by ISWAT.

- Ed Charlton
Iconic D&D characters coverted to GURPS is what he wants.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martichoras
I'm hoping that the forum hivemind can help me create iconic D&D characters, which I hope to use to introduce people to the GURPS system.

To me, iconic D&D means the typical original D&D race-classes, such as

Human warrior
Human magic-user
Human cleric (tricky, I think)
Human thief
Halfling fighter/thief
Dwarven fighter
Elven fighter/magic-user

but feel free to throw in whatever seems iconic or stereotypical to you (although I don't think I will allow anyone to play a lesbian-stripper-ninja).

I'm thinking around 150 points, intended to simulate low-middle level characters.

To me, building the spell-casting capacity to resemble D&D spellcasting is not at all a priority (I would rather use standard GURPS spells with an Energy Reserve).

I want character concepts that people can grasp in a minute - the more stereotypical they are, the better.
I created Class 'templates' a while ago as part of my conversion sheet:

Occupational Templates

Occupational Templates (also known as character templates) in GURPS generally include everything: Attributes primary and secondary, advantages, disadvantages, and skills. However in this conversion the Attribute section of such Templates has been taken care of so we are left with advantages, disadvantages, and skills. However unlike D&D GURPS skills can default to other skills, so you do not need to know as many skills as it may first appear. This is especially true of the Melee Weapons skills (B208-209) which come in six main categories three of which have generalized defaults but some weapon skills within these three categories default to weapons in other categories. As a result D&D’s weapon categories of simple, martial, and exotic have no meaning in GURPS. Also skills the classes logically should have are missing (Clerics for example do not have theology). For these reasons and to simplify the conversion while adding some flexibility I modified the D&D class templates to bring them more in line with their Medieval-Renaissance (TL3-4) inspirations as well as adding advantages and skills better suited to role-playing.

The noted exeption is the Monk; the D&D Monk owes more to 1970s Kung Fu movies than Medieval European Monks and IMHO to really due justice to the class the addition of GURPS Martial Arts would be needed. So to keep the book total down I provide an alternative monk more in keeping with the way they were - a person of people of learning whose efforts keep the old knowledge of the great fallen empire alive. If you want a Monk more along the lines of the D&D type there is the Wardancer (F126).

As with ‘standard’ GURPS Occupational Templates these class templates are customizable via lenses. To simply things I have used the Cleric, Fighter, Rouge, and Wizard classes as the baseline and made the other classes (except for the Monk and Bard) lenses of them. Since GURPS allows such a large range of variety there is no need to convert the NPC classes of Adept, Aristocrat, Commoner, Expert, and Warrior whose existence IMHO was barely justifiable to begin with.

Since attributes are separated from these Occupational Templates the skills only have one point rather then being at a particular skill level. Following each skill is the attribute/difficulty for quick reference. Optional abilities are ones the D&D class has but should be looked at before being used (which is why they have page numbers after them). Some Occupational Templates and Lenses also have a page reference if you want to use the totally different made for GURPS version.

Cleric [16] (Holy Man F120)
Clerical Investment [5], Blessed or Power Investiture [10], True Faith (15)
Duty [Church/Religion] [-10], Vow (varies) [-10]
Crossbow (DX/e), First Aid/TL (IQ/e), Theology (IQ/h),
Melee Weapons: Axe/Mace (DX/a), Knife (DX/e), and Spear (DX/a),
Innate Attack (DX/e, B201), Occultism (IQ/a), Shield (DX/e), Spells (IQ/h to IQ/v)
Optional Advantage: Legal Immunity (B65)
Optional Skills: Esoteric Medicine (B192), Hidden Lore (B199), Physician/TL (B213)
Druid lens [+6]
You are a cleric of nature. Add Animal Handling (IQ/a), Naturalist (IQ/h), Pharmacy/TL (Herbal) (IQ/h), Survival (IQ/a), Tracking (IQ/a), Veterinary/TL (IQ/h)
Optional advantages: Animal Empathy (B40), Talent (Animal Friend) (B89-90)

Fighter [14]
Armoury/TL (IQ/a), Bow (DX/a), Brawling (DX/e), Crossbow (DX/e)
Melee Weapons: Axe/Mace (DX/a), Flail (DX/h), Knife (DX/e), Polearm (DX/a), Spear (DX/a), Shortsword (DX/a), Two handed Axe/Mace (DX/a), and Two-handed sword (DX/a),
Shield (DX/e), Throwing (DX/a)
Optional advantages: Enhanced Defenses (B51), Trained By Master (B93), Weapon Master (B99)
Optional Wildcard skill: Sword! (DX, B175)
Barbarian Lens [+0] (F116)
You are a fighter from one of the ‘Uncivilized’ parts of the world. Add Basic Speed [5/0.25], Low TL [-5/TL]; Language (native speaker, illiterate) [-3]
Running (HT/a), Strategy (IQ/h), Tactics (IQ/h)
Optional Advantage: Enhanced Defenses (Dodge, B51)
Optional disadvantage: Berserk (B124)
Paladin Lens [+46]
You are a warrior defender of the faith. Add Blessed or Power Investiture (powers lost if Chivalric and/or Religious Codes broken, severe penance) [10], Rep +2 (from Religion) [10], Status 2 [10], Comfortable Wealth or Patron [10], True Faith [15], Vow (Chivalric Code of Honor) [-15];
Innate Attack (DX/e, B201), Riding (DX/a), Lance (DX/a), Heraldry (IQ/a), Savoir-Faire (IQ/e), Spells (IQ/h-v)
Optional advantages: Healing (B56)
Optional skills: Esoteric Medicine (B192), Hidden Lore (B199), Physician/TL (B213)
Ranger Lens [+12/+17]
You are fighter with an affinity with nature. Add Magery 0 [5] or Power Investiture [10];
Animal Handling (IQ/a), Hiking (HT/a), Innate Attack (DX/e, B201) Naturalist (IQ/h), Survival (IQ/a), Tracking (IQ/a), Veterinary/TL (IQ/v)
Optional advantages: Animal Empathy (B40), Talent (Animal Friend) (B89-90)

Bard [18] (F117)
Magery 0 [5];
Armoury/TL (IQ/a), Bow (DX/a), Crossbow (DX/e), Literature(IQ/h),
Melee Weapons: Axe/Mace (DX/a), Knife (DX/e), Spear (DX/a)
Innate Attack (DX/e), Musical Instrument (IQ/h), Poetry (1a), Public Speaking(IQ/a), Shield (DX/e), Singing (HT/e), Throwing (DX/a)
Optional Advantages: Legal Immunity (Bardic, B65), Talent (Music, B89-91)

Monk [0]
Legal Immunity (w/ Diplomatic pouch) [10]
Duty (Church/Order 12-) [-10], Vows [varies] [-10]; Diagnosis/TL (IQ/h), Esoteric Medicine (Per/h), First Aid/TL (IQ/e), History (IQ/h), Literature (IQ/h), Melee Weapon: Staff (DX/a), Naturalist (IQ/h), Survival (IQ/a)
Optional skills: Esoteric Medicine (B192), Hidden Lore (B199), Physician/TL (B213)

Rogue [13] (Thief F124)
Acrobatics (DX/h), Brawling (DX/e), Bow (DX/a), Climbing (DX/a), Crossbow (DX/e), Escape (DX/h), Lockpicking/TL (IQ/a), Melee Weapon: Knife (DX/e), Pickpocket (DX/h), Stealth (DX/a), Streetwise (1a), Throwing (DX/a), Traps/TL (IQ/a)

Sorcerer/Wizard [22] (F118-119, F124)
Magery/Magery (Ritual) 1 [15];
Alchemy/TL (IQ/v), Innate attack (Beam/Breath/Projectile) (DX/e), Melee Weapons: Axe/Mace (DX/a), Knife (DX/e), and Spear (DX/a), Spells (IQ/h-v), Thanumatology (IQ/v)
Optional Wildcard skill: Magic! (M202)
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote