Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2020, 05:47 AM   #21
Refplace

Default Re: 10 Best Issues of Pyramid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham2anv View Post
But the article I think I'm most proud of is "Thoroughly Modern Magic" in #3/66. Through the power of spreadsheets, I managed to update the industrial enchantment rules from 3e and generalize them for all TLs. I even threw in a magical style and a character template for industrial enchanters. Unfortunately, this article is also probably the least generally useful for most campaigns.
I particularly liked that one myself, great job.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:11 AM   #22
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham2anv View Post
"Thoroughly Modern Magic"... Unfortunately, this article is also probably the least generally useful for most campaigns.
There's a lot of value in showing an approach and inspiring people to find similar solutions to the specific problems that bug them for their game (or game-soon-to-be). GURPS appeals to tinkers and system hackers. And every game is different. So it's not a matter of having to work out the one proper answer that everyone will use in all their games -- everyone must play in the exact same official background with their registered interchangeable league characters, as in Some Other Games. There's value is showing ways the system can be expanded or altered to produce the feel and results the worldbuilders needed to realize their own idiosyncratic vision.

But the very nature of a lot of GURPS play means that no setting bit is going to appeal to everyone, or even necessarily a large percentage. Some people will want industrial magic, and find a ready-made solution to save them effort. Others will read an article and think, "Interesting; I see how he did that, and if I did this and that instead, I'd wind up with something that would finally let me run that idea I've been kicking around." That's one reason I like the "Under The Hood" sections in books like Psi Powers or Sorcery. I might not have needed those particular abilities pre-built and ready to seamlessly drop into an ongoing game, but seeing how the authors got from the core to where they wanted to go is instructive for figuring out how to get someplace else, too.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #23
Anaraxes

Just for the record, I would up going with the Alternate GURPS i-V, plus 3/54 (Social Engineering, with the city/realm management system) and 3/66 (The Laws of Magic). Among other things, of course, and after trimming back a number of other choices to almost fit the budget.

Thanks for all the advice!

(The complete Pyramid collection was kind of tempting, but at $500, just too much for me to swallow all at once, even though that is half price.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:04 PM   #24
Ejidoth

Well, just bought the Alternate GURPS issues I was missing, plus Fourth Edition Festival, thanks to this thread.

As far as which Pyramids I've gotten the most use out of in the past, I really liked Survival at the End in 3/90, Alternative Ritual Path Magic in 3/66, Metatronic Generators in 3/46, Buckets of Points in 3/65, and Super-Sorcery! in 3/105, but there's useful stuff scattered all over the place.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid