Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default [PURE THEORY] Low-Tech vs Fantasy-Tech

From over here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Currently, there's no assigned Low-Tech author. The last I heard, we were realizing that there's less content here than for High-Tech (people can quibble, but it's fairly undeniable that more widgets exist at TL8 than at TL0-4 put together) and so needed a strategy to get a 240-page book out of it. As of last autumn, that strategy involved creating a Fantasy-Tech book to cover TL0-4 plus low-tech fantasy. That isn't set in stone, and isn't even officially acknowledged, so that's about as much as I can say about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
That's exactly what I'm saying. We're wedded to 240-page books. While it's no problem to fill that many pages with unique, distinctive TL5+ gadgets in High-Tech or Ultra-Tech, it's pushing things for Low-Tech. High-Tech for 3e was "all guns, all the time" while Low-Tech for 3e was "everything," so the problem is even more pronounced than mere technological diversity would suggest: there's entire realms of stuff to add to 3e's High-Tech, while those categories are already part of 3e's Low-Tech. Doing a Fantasy-Tech book -- title very tentative -- with all the Low-Tech stuff, expansions, and 100-odd pages of fantasy gear would let us fill 240 pages and not split up battleaxes from mithril battleaxes. As I said, it's hypothetical . . . we haven't settled on it, much less a writer. But it's sound logic, I think. Historical gaming as a genre accounts for a few percent of the sales of fantasy gaming, which needs all the same stuff plus more.
If Low-Tech also covered political organization, economic systems, everyday crafts, medical technology, military tactics, and maybe even some population dynamics couldn't it pad out 240 pages?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech