Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #31
GoodGame

Location: Video games destroyed my life. Good that I have 2 extra lives!
Default Re: WWII + Supers = ???

On the high population of Supers of this idea----what's to stop an 'X-men' scenario evolving, with the Supers being alienated from the normals, and forming their own universal society? They might even form a hegemony over the normals.
GoodGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:50 PM   #32
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
The Short Story is "Judas Ace".
In my copy it's called "witness", but the might be a different edition.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #33
christ0pher

So, here I am searching the forums for ideas about WWII with Supers/Supernatural/Magic because the Modern Magic campaign I'm running has taken a detour across dimensions and the PC's ended up in the same universe as the Age of Gold campaign the group played in last year, jumping ahead 7 years to the start of the war, and what do I find?

A thread I started 11 years ago looking for similar information for a different campaign, and most of the answers I needed!

christ0pher
You reach out to push the orc off the ledge.
[Dice roll. Critical Failure!]
But instead, lightly caress his back.
The orc is uncomfortable.
christ0pher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #34
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by christ0pher View Post
ok, here's my dilemma, while planning a new campaign based around the start of the second World War, the question came up of what would happen if Super Humans were introduced into the mix...

I'm looking for "realistic" global repercussions from making about 1 in every 1,000 people Super. The average would be 250 points, the exceptional would be 500 points, and a small few would be 700+ points.

Is the war over in a week?
Does it go on for decades?

Any help/suggestions/comments would be appreciated.
So arbitrarily even distribution and everyone becomes super all at the same time?

Well here's one effect. Japan gets clobbered in China. China had more than five times the population of Japan. This was already a problem for Japan. It was like a snake trying to swallow a buffalo, the result being a lengthy and inconclusive conflict but Japan could hold it's own because of its edges in technology, wealth and unity. But add over 500,000 hostile guerrillas with superpowers, who could be any random little old lady and the result is utterly unmanageable chaos. In fact it's a nightmare for the Axis in general because suddenly partisans have real teeth. The primary advantage of having a super powered attack is having a weapon which can't be taken or detected conventionally. That's not a big deal on the open battlefield but it's a huge deal in irregular warfare.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #35
Vernon King Avaritt III

Golden Age supers include
Timely - Namor; Captain America; Human Torch; Vision; Flaming Skull.
DC - Batman; Sandman; Superman; Flash; Green Lantern; Spectre; Dr. Fate; Johnny Thunder; and many others.
Fawcett - Captain Marvel Family
Prize Comics - Green Lama
Lev Gleeson - Daredevil
Archie Comics - The Shield; Comet
Others - Black Terror; Bulletman and Bullet Girl; Silver Streak

There were a lot of supers in the Golden Age and not all of them were street level. I love the Golden Age.
Vernon King Avaritt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #36
Harald387

1 in 1000 people gets superpowers with the FLOOR being 250 points?

"Welcome to the cinder". 250 points in superpowers is easily a Charles Xavier telepath or a Ben Grimm smashytank.

700 points is Flash/Superman/Wonder Woman levels of power.

If the earth survived - and I suspect it wouldn't - then the history books would be thrown out the window - it would be an entirely new world order of SOME kind, but my money would be on the apocalypse.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #37
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post

"Welcome to the cinder". 250 points in superpowers is easily a Charles Xavier telepath or a Ben Grimm smashytank.
No. It isn't. They're more in the 500 to 750 point range.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #38
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post

700 points is Flash/Superman/Wonder Woman levels of power.
Nowhere near. For the Superman level you want in the range of 2000 points. You might be able to manage the Thing for 1000. At 250 points you're talking streetlevel.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #39
christ0pher

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
So arbitrarily even distribution and everyone becomes super all at the same time?

Well here's one effect. Japan gets clobbered in China. China had more than five times the population of Japan. This was already a problem for Japan. It was like a snake trying to swallow a buffalo, the result being a lengthy and inconclusive conflict but Japan could hold it's own because of its edges in technology, wealth and unity. But add over 500,000 hostile guerrillas with superpowers, who could be any random little old lady and the result is utterly unmanageable chaos. In fact it's a nightmare for the Axis in general because suddenly partisans have real teeth. The primary advantage of having a super powered attack is having a weapon which can't be taken or detected conventionally. That's not a big deal on the open battlefield but it's a huge deal in irregular warfare.
There won't be that many Supers since this is a new campaign based in the Age of Gold setting and we've thrown the "1 in 1000 are Super" idea out, but having some mystic arts powered Chinese guerrillas hampering the Japanese will probably bog their advance down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon King Avaritt III View Post
DC - Batman; Sandman; Superman; Flash; Green Lantern; Spectre; Dr. Fate; Johnny Thunder; and many others.
This is kinda where the original Age of Gold campaign we were in was heading. One of the players was a Batman/cat burglar thief with a conscience, one was a lower powered Flash character and the group had made friends with an NPC named Hugo Danner(the astute reader may recognize what role he would fill in the golden age DC).

So, this campaign played through 1933 and into 1934. It then went on hiatus while we bounced around one-shots and an ongoing fantasy campaign until we started a secret magic in the modern day campaign that has turned into an Infinite Worlds adventure. The PC's new mage characters have now met their old Age of Gold characters in 1941, 7 years older and a bit more experienced than when they last saw them.

The PC's mage characters now want to enchant some gear that will let them join their old heroes and do some good in a world torn by war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon King Avaritt III View Post
I love the Golden Age.
Me too!

christ0pher
Old 04-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #40
christ0pher

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Nowhere near. For the Superman level you want in the range of 2000 points. You might be able to manage the Thing for 1000. At 250 points you're talking streetlevel.
Totally agree.

The PC's will top out at around 1000 points once they get their enchanted gear.(stuff like the Bracers of Wonder, a Power Ring, the Helm of Fate, maybe a Rod of Gravity)

christ0pher

Tags
wwii