Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #21
Humabout

Default Re: Need help with some stuff with Ritual/Path magic.

Idhmbwm, but

You use the effective skill used to cast the spell to overcome resistances.

You cannot buy up Path skills above your cap (to my understanding, although it makes little sense to even attempt to anyway).

You use the lowest effective Path skill required by the ritual, at -1 per additional Path skill past the second to determine the casting roll. That's the effective skill for the spell.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #22
Jaware

I still don't understand.

why would the book say that higher skill is good because you can use it to cancel out resistances.

if your maximum is your minimum. That doesn't make any sense.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #23
Humabout

Higher skill is better because it overcomes more resistance. If you want to be able to overcome more resistance, get more skill. That means you need to make sure your skill cap is high enough to permit more skill, but hardly do all casters run around with all Path skills at their skill caps.

Frex, if you have Magery 10, you have a pretty high skill cap and maybe you have Path of Body at 13. There's plenty of room to improve it before the skill cap is an issue. Want to cast rituals that use Path of Body and are harder to resist? Buy more Path of Body.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 06-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #24
Kalzazz

Weird, I've found it very common to see wizards with their RPM skills at the caps
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #25
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Higher skill is better because it overcomes more resistance. If you want to be able to overcome more resistance, get more skill. That means you need to make sure your skill cap is high enough to permit more skill, but hardly do all casters run around with all Path skills at their skill caps.

Frex, if you have Magery 10, you have a pretty high skill cap and maybe you have Path of Body at 13. There's plenty of room to improve it before the skill cap is an issue. Want to cast rituals that use Path of Body and are harder to resist? Buy more Path of Body.
But Magery 10 is effectively worthless in that regard. Besides the mana reserve of 30.

why would you raise your path skills over default? If there is no reason for doing so. It's more expensive. And if there's no reward for doing so, then just buy thalm up super high. Then you have cap skills in everything. And it's cheaper.

Example. Magery 3. Thalm- 21. Paths defaulted at a 15.

why would one ever raise their path skills. When they can just raise their thalm skill and magery.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #26
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
But Magery 10 is effectively worthless in that regard. Besides the mana reserve of 30.

why would you raise your path skills over default? If there is no reason for doing so. It's more expensive. And if there's no reward for doing so, then just buy thalm up super high. Then you have cap skills in everything. And it's cheaper.

Example. Magery 3. Thalm- 21. Paths defaulted at a 15.

why would one ever raise their path skills. When they can just raise their thalm skill and magery.
Because they want to specialize? Because casting power increases exponentially with skill, so having Path-18 in a few Paths and 11-12 in others is far more potent than having 15 in every Path.

Oh, and you can overcome more resistance.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 06-18-2017, 09:53 PM   #27
Kalzazz

I'm pretty sure thaumatology default is capped to 12
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:58 PM   #28
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Because t to specialize? Because casting power increases exponentially with skill, so having Path-18 in a few Paths and 11-12 in others is far more potent than having 15 in every Path.

Oh, and you can overcome more resistance.
But why specilize? If it is the same cost to specialize and to not specilaize. And still be the same.

that path 18 is still a 15 for all intents and purposses. That 18 doesn't help in any way shape and form. Because it's capped at 12+magery.(so a 15 in the example).

If that 18 I'd what helps overcome resistances then ok. That was all that I had questions about. But according to everything everyone has said and that I've read, it's cap skill at most. Nothing else matters.

so why the 18 if it doesn't do anything.thats just 12cp wasted.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:05 PM   #29
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I'm pretty sure thaumatology default is capped to 12
You are correct. An over sight on my part.

but still the question remains the same.

Why would one raise your path skill over your skill cap? If you get nothing immediately from it. Then it is effectively useless.since you cast at the cap or your skill, whichever is lower.

It makes no sense to have a cap skill of 15, and a path of 18. Since the game says, 18 Is bigger than 15. So you roll against a 15.

However. If you Gauage resistances of your skill without the skill cap, then it all makes more more sense.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:14 AM   #30
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
Why would one raise your path skill over your skill cap?
You wouldn't... since you can't, since it's capped.

You are conflating the advice "Raise your skills to overcome resistance" with the idea that this advice is "Raise you skill above your cap".

They aren't saying that. They are just saying "Raise your skill to overcome resistance". If you are at cap, then obviously you also have to raise your cap.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, monster hunters, path, ritual, ritual path magic