Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-03-2016, 02:10 AM   #1
onetrikpony

Default Help me build an ability

I'm trying to develop a racial template with an illusory ability and I can't find any magic or advantage combinations that will do exactly what I have in mind.

For reference, in case anyone is familar, I'm trying to emulate a Cthulutech monster called a Mirage with powers called Displacement and Multiplicity.

The Displacement power allows the character to project an illusory copy a few feet away from it's actual position while the actual position of the character is concealed. The illusion appears to be absolutely real and mirrors the actions and disposition of the monster in every way.

In terms of mechanics the Displacement power benefits dodge defenses. Surprise attacks miss unless the actual position of the monster has been located first. The power obscures the actual position of the monster effectively but its not impossible to detect. The power costs fatigue at a rate of 1/minute.

The Multiplicity power allows the monster to generate a bunch of illusory copies. These illusions may act independently or under the direction of the character. The illusions are insubstantial but the monster is hidden within the group.

Mechanically the copies generated by the Multiplicity power are under the direction of the player. There is no restriction on the range of the power and no concentration is needed to maintain the illusion but the illusions only last for a few minutes. The illusions are insubstantial and cannot cause any direct effect or be harmed but the presence of the original monster is concealed within the group. Use of this power is limited to once per day and requires a test of Will-5 to initiate.

I'd like to have some way to gauge the point value of these powers.

Thanks if you can help :)
onetrikpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:20 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Help me build an ability

How I'd start:

Displacement: Enhanced Dodge and/or Obscure, both with the Glamour enhancement. The fact that it's an illusory double is just a special effect.

Multiplicity: Duplication with Construct and Glamour.

I'm sure there's other enhancements that can be added on, but those would be where I'd start.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
whswhs

I think that for shorter distances this could be multilevel Enhanced Dodge with the displacement as a special effect. It might even work to say that Enhanced Dodge 10 represents being a yard or more apart; at that point your dodge would failed only on a rolled 17 or 18, which would represent a lucky shot by your foe.

You might want to also have it have an accessibility, "Only against foes whose attacks are visually guided," which would likely be -10%.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think that for shorter distances this could be multilevel Enhanced Dodge with the displacement as a special effect. It might even work to say that Enhanced Dodge 10 represents being a yard or more apart; at that point your dodge would failed only on a rolled 17 or 18, which would represent a lucky shot by your foe.

You might want to also have it have an accessibility, "Only against foes whose attacks are visually guided," which would likely be -10%.
Using an Active Defense means that it wouldn't protect you against any surprise attack. A guy you haven't spotted wouldn't be affected because you wouldn't get a defense.

I like the idea of Illusion (Glamour, perfect copy that mirrors what you do) and if you're concealed either Chameleon (blends, stealth bonuses) or Invisibility (cannot be seen) whichever feels best. The illusion would need Independence to act in parallel.

Multiplicity seems like a variation on the same theme (hidden guy, plus illusions) where the illusions occupy a larger area. Mechanically, there's no reason why this can't be one big illusion (say 4-8 yd radius) with lots of "him" elements running around inside. Presumably he's directing them (concentrating) and not taking other actions while doing this effect? EDIT: If the unlimited range is more important, you'll want Ranged instead of Area. Multiple levels of Independent will allow you to have lots illusions (copies of yourself) running around (IIRC you can one per level of Independent + concentrate on another) but they still require a bit of input so you can't have them wander off on their own unless you further upgrade them.

Illusion (Glamour, A copy of yourself, Independent)
Illusion (Glamour, Only Copies of yourself, Area 8 yard radius, Max Duration*, Will Roll to activate)
Invisibility (Glamour, Only while casting illusions)

*Max Duration (powers) is generally a better point break and the built in recharge time generally fits more things than "wow, my power refills at noon"

Last edited by naloth; 05-03-2016 at 03:30 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #5
Appletoe

For displacement, perhaps you could use the Allies (Semisolid Projections/Shadows) advantage with the Summonable modifier. If not that, what's the problem with using the Illusion advantage from Powers?
Appletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Using an Active Defense means that it wouldn't protect you against any surprise attack. A guy you haven't spotted wouldn't be affected because you wouldn't get a defense.
I wonder, could you make it Reflexive?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I wonder, could you make it Reflexive?
That is somewhat similar to adding modifiers to ST to make punches armor piercing, though I'd have to carefully consider allowing active defenses to work passively (and how that would work). Move/dodge is easy enough to modify (since it has an advantage point value) but block or parry are based on skills instead, so there's no underlying advantage to enhance. You would also have to add more than just reflexive to dodge area attacks.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote