Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
Cowrie

Default Striker Parries and Follow-Up Techniques

If a character has a striker capable of parrying, can they naturally follow up a parry made with that striker with a technique to trap their opponent, i.e. Arm Lock or Leg Grapple, "hands free" using that striker, or would that require a perk akin to Cotton Stomach?
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Striker Parries and Follow-Up Techniques

Strikers default to the Brawling skill as their base skill, and which technquiues are availed are based on that, unless you the rules from GURPS Martial Arts like the Weapon Adaptation perk
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

I would do a variation like Leg Grapples, where you would get -2 DX and +2 ST, with each grappling technique having a Striker version (though you would have additional penalties without two Strikers acting in concert).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
Cowrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Strikers default to the Brawling skill as their base skill, and which technquiues are availed are based on that, unless you the rules from GURPS Martial Arts like the Weapon Adaptation perk
If memory serves Strikers default to Brawling or DX. Which would mean, from what you're saying, that, sans any perks, a striker would be capable of performing a Leg Grapple when parrying a kick but not be able to follow it up with a Leg Lock, or able to perform an arm lock when parrying a punch. This seems extremely arbitrary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I would do a variation like Leg Grapples, where you would get -2 DX and +2 ST, with each grappling technique having a Striker version (though you would have additional penalties without two Strikers acting in concert).
While I see where you're coming from, I'm not sure I fully agree. There's certainly some merit to making them variant techniques, but I've always assumed that the -2 DX to grapples using the legs is derived from the inherent -2 skill penalty for kicks. Unless a Striker has some level of the Clumsy limitation, it's not comparable. OTOH, it seems like using Wrestling or Judo with an appendage that's typically only usable with Brawling or DX would merit an extra -1 penalty to the technique, as per Special Benefits in Creating New Techniques on p. MA91. Though that's a good point on having extra penalties for only using one striker. This is for a race I'm building a martial art for that can take a single striker as a Racial Gift, so do you think it would be reasonable to work that penalty into the default for the technique so that it can be bought off?
Old 12-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
If memory serves Strikers default to Brawling or DX. Which would mean, from what you're saying, that, sans any perks, a striker would be capable of performing a Leg Grapple when parrying a kick but not be able to follow it up with a Leg Lock, or able to perform an arm lock when parrying a punch. This seems extremely arbitrary.
the "or DX" is irreverent, you can not even USE a technique of you don't have a point in the Skill it defaults from. The or DX let you do a basic Strike or parry that's it.

you need at least a point in either Judo or Wrestling to even use Arm Lock. hence the Addbation perk so that you can use it with a Striker using Brawling.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #6
Cowrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
the "or DX" is irreverent, you can not even USE a technique of you don't have a point in the Skill it defaults from. The or DX let you do a basic Strike or parry that's it.
Unless that technique also defaults to DX and has no prerequisites. Like Leg Grapple. Ergo, a Striker should be able to perform a Leg Grapple, even if it can't follow up with a Lock. Also, even if it is a perk, I think this would be Skill Adaptation, not Weapon Adaptation, since the latter requires a default between skills and specifies melee weapons. Or it might be a new perk that falls somewhere in between the two. And, as AlexanderHowl pointed out, there's an argument for making it a variant technique. Though, that would actually make it more expensive.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
If a character has a striker capable of parrying, can they naturally follow up a parry made with that striker with a technique to trap their opponent, i.e. Arm Lock or Leg Grapple, "hands free" using that striker, or would that require a perk akin to Cotton Stomach?
Strikers are not capable of grappling. If you want to execute one of those techniques, you'll need an extra arm.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:17 PM   #8
AlexanderHowl

Well, you can use a leg for a lower-body grapple (or a weapon for certain grapples), so you do not need arms to grapple. Heck, you can learn to use a leg as a striker in combat, so why not learn to use a striker as a leg in combat? You will, however, lose any utility as a striker while it is engaging in a grapple (and you would need two of them to apply your full ST). On a related note, could you take Extra Legs (Striker, -20%)?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
Cowrie

I don't know about that, but the striker of the race in question is fairly massive. Do you think it would be okay to allow a variant on Constriction Attack for grappling with a striker instead of the torso?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
I don't know about that, but the striker of the race in question is fairly massive. Do you think it would be okay to allow a variant on Constriction Attack for grappling with a striker instead of the torso?
Yes, but you should consider whether it's actually a striker. It might be an odd type of extra arm (possibly with limb striker, if you want the damage and parry bonuses).