Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default New Followers / Monster Followers

Unless I see a good argument, I think I should delete these as mostly bogus and rarely used, devote the space to new and better Stuff, and let attempts to recruit the GM's characters be handled by the GM with a free hand. Any comments?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
Kirk

Default Re: New Followers / Monster Followers

Only to say that we have used them, of course mostly in campaigns and less in one-offs.

Designing a character that can develop a following can work quite well, we have had very interesting game sessions with Players who run characters who have, effectively, body guards that get things done and fight for them when necessary, ultimately resulting in the start of a small fiefdom of sorts, maybe a preliminary Thorz type character. :) It allows for the leader-oriented in the group to leverage others' talents to the benefit of the party.

The more difficult aspect of these talents is that it requires more forethought, work, and interaction to develop this type of character, and some people just want to hack and slash.

That said, if space is a premium and something has to go, it might be on my list, just to preserve other more often used talents. But if not, we, at least, use these talents to make for both interesting PCs *and*, especially, NPCs! :)

Spend one minute to remember the Riddle of Steel and consider... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p2BjhSEnNI

Last edited by Kirk; 07-10-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Unless I see a good argument, I think I should delete these as mostly bogus and rarely used, devote the space to new and better Stuff, and let attempts to recruit the GM's characters be handled by the GM with a free hand. Any comments?
I was never a fan of those talents and won't miss them. It never really fit my campaign conception for PCs to have a menagerie of monsters swarming around them. The same with charmed henchmen.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
Rick_Smith

Default Re: New Followers / Monster Followers - DELETE.

Quote:
I agree. Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
JLV

Quote:
Personally, I think this is a good call.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
John Brinegar

I think it's fine if they go, though they could perhaps reappear in a supplement.
John Brinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #7
Chris Rice

They never entirely made sense to me and we never used them so I’m fine with them going. I started a previous thread on this topic to see if anyone did use them but there wasn’t much input so I doubt they’ll be missed.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #8
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brinegar View Post
I think it's fine if they go, though they could perhaps reappear in a supplement.
I think John B has the best strategic solution here.

If you need the space, imho, these are two good talents to reclaim the remnant space from; and then possibly bringing them back in a later supplement where the acquisition and retention of loyal minions and monsters - where the *how* to properly apply these specific talents can be illustrated through an adventure - as part of a larger plot. This could be a great way to re-introduce them, while teaching their proper application through play.

Furthermore, I would say that if an engaging adventure could not be written around the use of these talents, *that* alone would be the best test of surety in proving that these two talents are indeed deadwood.

I think John had a great suggestion, while satisfying your immediate goal.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #9
ecz

never seen a PC using these talents. But they are useful for certain NPC.

Anyway I do not see how the game improves with the elimination of two talents. At worst they are left unused in the manual, but they do not hurt and do not disturb.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecz View Post
Anyway I do not see how the game improves with the elimination of two talents. At worst they are left unused in the manual, but they do not hurt and do not disturb.
My concern is mainly new GMs expecting the rules to work well as written like they mostly do, but then a PC wants to take over powerful NPCs with this, use them for fodder or to get them killed to loot them, replaces them to fill his stable in every town, etc. It at least wants some note about what the limits should be.

ST 9
DX 9 armor
IQ 14
Charisma (2), New Followers (2), Monster Followers II (2 + 2), Tactics (1), Master Physicker (2 + 2)

Beginning character starts in a town, spends a couple of days wandering about looking for the best NPCs to make friends. Then spends time making friends with them, making 4/IQ rolls until he has 7 more characters to run. Likely to work on various monsters too.

If GM'd well, it actually sounds like a cool/fun strategy to me, and is actually like what my players have often done (one party had about 20 NPC followers/allies at one point.), but not if done with a simple 4/IQ mechanic regardless of who you're enlisting. The problem is the unqualified "you can roll 4/IQ to take over anyone of your race and make them your character" mechanic, with no tips for new GMs about limits or ways to make that interesting and logical and not unlimited/gamey.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote